News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Ball Z : Super Gokuuden - Totsugeki-Hen [Patch released]  (Read 20458 times)

Hiei-

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball Z : Super Gokuuden - Totsugeki-Hen
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:37:14 am »
The script translation is finally over. It's not 100% yet because of a few strings which need to be found in-game to have contents but it's now like 98% translated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:31:27 am by Hiei- »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 12:02:47 pm »
That sound great!! I was planning to start translating that game from japanese when I finish Star Ocean!
I've been looking for some screenshots about this translation, but I can't see none. Is the script finished inserting? Do you need some help with ASM?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 11:26:06 am »
Yeah, the whole hack is done for Gokuuden 1 (a friend of mine did it a while ago, when he still had time to work on romhacking. VWF, switched every pointers to not hardcoded 24-bits pointers, reworked the text routine to only use one byte per character instead of two).

I posted some screenshots a while ago but links are probably dead. I will try to redo some but the beta patch will be available before the end of the year anyway.

(Seeing your other projects, it seems you are enough skilled to do it from scratch but if you need any infos about it, I would gladly share them. For example, I can share the japanese table, address of all the texts, etc...).

Edit : Here's some screenshots :

But if you are really interested about helping, I can mention someone is actually working on Gokuuden 2 to replace the old bad translation (this one : http://www.romhacking.net/translations/316/), but unfortunately, there is a lot of romhack which would need to be done to get a proper version of Gokuuden 2 and my skills aren't enough to help him completely. I could only help about the dump/insert but it would require some more work to get a proper version.

1) No VWF, so all characters have four pixels of extra space after them (original font width is 12 pixels).
2) The original text routine use two bytes per character, which is a lot of waste.
3) the bank byte of the pointer seems hardcoded, so no choice but to keep the texts in the same banks, which is a problem to make a good translation.

Those three things would able him to make a proper translation. Right now, he has to cut some texts of the translation because of a lack a space.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:26:39 pm by Hiei- »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 04:09:38 pm »
1. VWF isn't too hard to implement if one understands the games routine and such enough.
2. That's a pain in the butt but also very much fixable.  Bit more tedious but it's still pretty doable without an issue.
3. Now that would have to be completely rewritten.  It's possible to make the pointers 3-bytes each so each of them can have their own bank, which would allow a huge amount of flexibility.  Only thing that'd have to be taken into account is once it hits like 'FFFF' or something for location, it'd have to increase the bank.  Otherwise, it's a pretty simple fix in actuality.  Usually anyway, I can't say for sure as I haven't taken a look at any of the DBZ games but Hyper Dimension and LOTSS
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 09:08:42 pm »
I know all can be done and that it's not that hard as three things has been done for the first game (and even much more).

But nor him or I have ASM knowledge at all, so I can't help further than a simple dump/reinsert help for the second game he's working on.

He managed to fit the texts of the first bank back in the rom but unfortunately, it required to cut some parts of the texts. It's still better than nothing but it's too bad to know the translation could be far better without text size problems.

If it was like LOTSS, I would have been able to fix the problem as the bank byte in this game is pretty easy to find so you can easily move the pointers/text in a new empty bank. But when I tried to do the same for Gokuuden 2, I unfortunately haven't found the bank byte in the rom.

Blank_User

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2016, 07:58:12 am »
I'm the one working on the Gokuuden 2. I hope you could help me. I have finish half of the story dialogues. Here are some images of what I've done so far.
This the retranslation:
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7739/IcHqQI.png
(It's only the first dialogue box that is shown in the image)
I also remade the fonts:
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/484x206q90/921/N3XRax.png
(This is to show you the difference between the fonts)

I need someone who can make it almost same as Gokuuden 1 when it comes to font and texts. I manage to fit the words with the limited space I have. It is not so good because of the limited space but the dialogues are still fine. I haven't translated the dialogue of the menus, names of the places, status and the dialogues during the fights.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2016, 02:58:15 am »
I'm the one working on the Gokuuden 2. I hope you could help me. I have finish half of the story dialogues. Here are some images of what I've done so far.
This the retranslation:
http://imageshack.com/a/img924/7739/IcHqQI.png
(It's only the first dialogue box that is shown in the image)
I also remade the fonts:
https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/484x206q90/921/N3XRax.png
(This is to show you the difference between the fonts)

I need someone who can make it almost same as Gokuuden 1 when it comes to font and texts. I manage to fit the words with the limited space I have. It is not so good because of the limited space but the dialogues are still fine. I haven't translated the dialogue of the menus, names of the places, status and the dialogues during the fights.

I'll be glad to help you with the project. All those difficulties Hiei- mentioned can be overcome "easily", although it depends on the way it is coded. Regarding VWF,  in Romancing Saga 3 I had to code 4 different VWF routines: for dialogues, for menus, for military strategy mini-games and for business mini-game, so I have som experience.

As for converting the text from Unicode (2 bytes) to ASCII (1 byte), I'm currently doing so in Star Ocean:

The japanese version encodes each kanji as 2 bytes, so that's the width of intermediate buffers... I chaged those buffers to "unsigned char" to leverage the memory usage so many letters fit in the description window. I don't think it would be much harder in Gokuuden 2.

Blank_User

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2016, 07:53:18 am »
I'll be glad to help you with the project. All those difficulties Hiei- mentioned can be overcome "easily", although it depends on the way it is coded. Regarding VWF,  in Romancing Saga 3 I had to code 4 different VWF routines: for dialogues, for menus, for military strategy mini-games and for business mini-game, so I have som experience.

As for converting the text from Unicode (2 bytes) to ASCII (1 byte), I'm currently doing so in Star Ocean:

The japanese version encodes each kanji as 2 bytes, so that's the width of intermediate buffers... I chaged those buffers to "unsigned char" to leverage the memory usage so many letters fit in the description window. I don't think it would be much harder in Gokuuden 2.

I hope you could do it as soon as possible. Sorry if it is like I'm rushing you but you don't have to do it immediately. Do it if you have free time and if you can. I'm planning to redo the script as soon as the VWF is done with the game. I think you have to do 3 or 4 codes (Menu, Dialogues, Dialogues during the fights and maybe the names of the Places) not sure if I have listed down all.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2016, 08:15:47 am »
In Gokuuden 1, the VWF is the same for everything (dialog texts, battle texts, menu texts) and it works fine so I guess it'll be easier.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2016, 02:11:58 am »
In Gokuuden 1, the VWF is the same for everything (dialog texts, battle texts, menu texts) and it works fine so I guess it'll be easier.

It strongly depends on the output buffer for the tiles. In RS3, the VWF font was the same, but the output buffer for each screen was different: dialogues, menus, battles and mini-game. The way the shadow was applied to each letter was different too.

Anyway, I'll try my best with Gokuuden 2 and keep Blank_User updated with news.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2016, 04:46:16 pm »
Thanks for your help!

neige

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2016, 05:28:46 pm »
In case it helps, you can enable the debug menu by changing the bytes at 0x5C (without header) from 80 0C to EA EA.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2016, 01:45:33 am »
In case it helps, you can enable the debug menu by changing the bytes at 0x5C (without header) from 80 0C to EA EA.

Thanks for thar info! It will be really useful!

neige

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 08:08:10 pm »
I know for sure that the compression from Gok­ūden 1 is also used in Super Butōden 2. I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure the compression is the same in Gok­ūden 2 so you can try asking Hiei- for the compressor/decompressor I wrote for him.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2016, 12:31:55 am »
I already said I could share whatever he might need :)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2016, 04:04:30 pm »
As planned, I confirm the beta version of Gokuuden 1 patch will be released on Saturday (31).

A few texts in the patch will be untranslated (some useless texts which often appear before and/or after a save point). A part of those texts are translated, though (the ones which give advices, so the useful ones).

This last text file will be fully translated in the final version, of course.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 06:10:58 pm by Hiei- »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 05:12:06 am »
Sounds great! I'm looking forward to being able to play this game soon. I've played using the old incomplete translation patch before and I have to say that the first Gokuden game is better than the second one. It's more interactive and not quiet as linear as the second Gokuden game.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2016, 12:27:30 am »
Line-breaks might also not be the best for most of the dialogs as for now, it's an auto-wrapping routine done by the inserter.

I fixed the big problems (words cut between lines) and started to work on manual line-breaks but it'll take a while to put them in the whole script so manual line-breaks will only be available in the final version.

I also noticed a few battle texts aren't translated but I never encountered them in-game yet (when I say I noticed it, it mean I saw some untranslated texts in the battle text file but I haven't found any untranslated battle texts yet in the game), I haven't double checked yet but I guess it might be some dialogs which only appear when you lose a fight (which would explain why I never saw them, as I play with some PAR codes to have maxed stats and make battles faster xD).

Except those littles things, it should be okay and fully playable (some sentences in the main script might be missing, as I tried to check most of the choices, which give alternate dialogs but I can't be sure to have tested all of them. From what I saw, ~100 dialogs out of 5101 dialogs won't be translated in the beta-patch as we need to get some infos about where to find those texts in-game to get the context and all those dialogs are alternate choices only, the main story should not have any dialogs missing, except if I missed a few ones during my tests).

I'm actually doing a last playthrough to be sure there's no untranslated texts in the main story/in battles (until now, I found like ~20 dialogs which were forgotten and which are now translated) and once it'll be over, I'll release the beta patch (I just reached the second tournament so I'm near the end of the game).

December 30, 2016, 10:49:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Patchs are ready (one with anime names and one with manga names).

I'm actually writing the readme and will then send it to the editor to have it checked before the release (better have a readme with my average english fixed xD).

Once I'll get the proper version of the readme, I'll release the patchs.

Note that I don't know yet if editing the old page of the translation will add the new translation to the news bot? Does someone knows? Or should I better create a new project page for the patch?

Edit : I think I found a way, I wrote a news about it as I noticed users could write news about projects.

Meanwhile, the patch will be posted on the original forum, so it won't be a problem anyway.

December 31, 2016, 01:22:54 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/315/

The old translation page has been updated with the new patch.

But only one screnshot was modified, so I'll try to resend it again by adding a comment which explain why the old screenshots should be removed and replaced by the new ones, as the old ones aren't accurate at all anymore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:36:03 pm by Hiei- »