CG scenes would be another matter, but there's not many of those. None of these scenes have subtitles in the Japanese version, so I would imagine the obstacle is the video format itself.
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
I'm just gonna shoot for the moon here, but it's something I've been thinking a lot since bsnes incorporated a widescreen mode for SNES games. Could something similar be done to the GBA?
1. Custom GBE+ build with increased resolution (not a romhack per se, but definitely step one)
Some time ago, a /r/emulation thread discussed the idea of increasing the resolution of GBA games horizontally.
Shonumi, a GBA+ dev, entertained the idea and shared a few screenshots of his experiment.
Later in the comments, he pointed out exactly which parameters must be modified on source code to increase display area.
Most likely, games would need to be heavily modified to take advantage of this.
2. Increased resolution hacks of GBA games.
Now, if theorically there was a build of GBE+ (or any other emulator) that allowed for increased resolution, how far could romhacks push it?
I'm thinking mainly for action platformers (Kirby, Metroid, Mega Man Zero). Could they be pushed to 320x240, as if they were released for a home console? That would possibly spark interest in romhacks with UI redesigns, complete expansion of map designs, and enemy placements (and attack patterns) to correctly fit the new resolution. Would it be possible to bring SNES to GBA ports back to their original resolution? (Probably more trouble than porting GBA content/relocalization to the SNES originals, I'm thinking theorically).
I was very disappointed when the NDS Mega Man Zero Collection didn't use the increased resolution at all. Now even more so with the ZX/Zero Collection. I would definitely be on board to at least try giving the Mega Man Zero series some attention.
I've never heard anything of the sort ever suggested. I guess it makes sense the GBA could draw resolutions bigger than its LCD physically allows.
Hacks that won't work on original hardware tend to be frowned upon, but this is a revolution. It opens the door for OVERWHELMINGLY improving games constrained by the screen size.
Same here, that was the thing I did not like about HSF2, the AI is way too cheap.
I wish there's a way to give the AI the same behavior the other console ports of SSF2T have, where you can actually beat the game without any problems.
Because I remember in the Saturn & GBA ports, the AI was a lot easier than its arcade counterpart.
The iQue DS was a little earlier, but has only about 5 translated games.
And the lockout is so feeble that patching the ROMs takes literally one byte.
I'd say it would be about as easy and as much work as just properly emulating the actual peripheral. It shouldn't be that complicated for anyone with some experience working on emulating peripherals.
This game and peripheral would work on a western DS too right? IIRC the system is region free. It might be worth importing. Then I could take a look at the emulation as well. If it's not too much work I might even consider translating it.
This is the *only* important part in ROM hacking: finding what byte(s) you need to modify. Using a hex editor is exactly the same as using a text editor like notepad. I imagine what you want will probably just take modifying one or two bytes in the whole ISO.
So, how would I try to find it:
0. Start the game in Original Mode.
1. Find the X position of the main character.
1.1. Open BizHawk's "Tools"->"Ram Search".
1.2. Move character a bit to the right, search "Greater Than" "Previous Value".
1.3. Move character to the left, search "Less Than" "Previous Value".
1.4. Stand still, search "Equal To" "Previous Value".
1.5. Repeat until you're only left with the real X-position's address in the result list.
2. Use an emulator with a debugger: pSX, MAME, no$psx, one of the PCSX mods, Mednafen, etc. (I prefer MAME.)
3. Set a memory write breakpoint at the X-position's RAM address and stand still.
4. Wait until an enemy hits you. If there's an horizontal knockback, it will write a new X position to our RAM address we found and it will trigger the breakpoint.
5. Take a note of the pc (Program Counter) in the debugger. Or even the ra (Return Address) to see what called the current routine.
6. Open IDA Pro and open the game's executable file. Go to the position(s) you took note of in step 5.
7. Repeat all steps from point 1, now in Arrange mode (maybe finding X *and* Y position now, to make sure we trigger the breakpoint when we're hit.)
8. Find the difference between modes in step 6.
9. Figure out what needs to be changed in the code and insert it with ARMIPS.
You will need to know some basic MIPS assembly, of course. Just keep this document open while you read the ASM code: http://xifanie.ffhacktics.com/zodiac/PSX-INST.txt
If you intend to keep working on this, I have an ultra secret Discord server dedicated to PSX hacking (and translating) where I could help you in real time with more details. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you the invite link.
I don't know that I would attempt to have the game use the other function as much as find the behaviour for hit (which you said already includes some animation) and adding a few pixels of horizontal movement, possibly accounting for direction of attack (or maybe just using facing direction) and possibly trying to handle clipping issues.