You need to know how does the game, if there is a limit, if pointers are used, ...
This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.
Welcome dictionary compression (at least i think it's what you see there).The PSX version uses an ELF compressed. You can extract the MTE table (your dictionary compression) decoding the ELF with http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/863/
To open in hex editor.
Exactly while i was cutting the ram file above, i found some names as well.
Well, the game is an RPG so I'd expect there would be a lot of text.PSX and PSP versions use compression.
Anyways, I'm starting to think there might be some kind of compression going on which might be why relative searching isn't revealing a whole lot.
Yet I found pointers of dialogs text and labels and know the necessary offset.Do you have all text codes? I remember various pause codes, center code, some XXNNNN codes, where NNNN is the offset to another message, ...
(the numbers are in binary)
- 000+00000 ..................... end of data (0x00, as usual)
- 000+nnnnn ..................... copy next 'nnnnn' encoded bytes
- 001+mmmmm nnnnnnnn ............ copy next 'mmmmmnnnnnnnn' encoded bytes
- 010+0nnnn bbbbbbbb ............ repeat 'nnnn+4' times byte 'bbbbbbbb'
- 010+1mmmm nnnnnnnn bbbbbbbb ... repeat 'mmmmnnnnnnnn'+4 times byte 'bbbbbbbb'
code 011 (previous code must be '1nn' or another '011')
- 011+nnnnn ..................... copy 'nnnnn' more decoded bytes
- 1nn+xxxxx yyyyyyyy ............ copy '1nn' decoded bytes from offset $-'xxxxxyyyyyyyy'
Companies are people, we have to respect their rights.A fan translator has no rights?
Repacked font was larger in volume than the original? The remaining compressed data were displaced?The file can be greater or less than the original, but the game crash. All data are OK, and I can decompress the data without problems, but the game don't accept the new file. I'll try another encoding to see if it works.
I still would like to look at the your tool.
I'm sure a few translators would be interested, so why not release the tools if they are done ?