Hi ho. Dessyreqt and myself
have been working on a little project for Final Fantasy 6, aptly called "FF6 randomizer." You can find it here
. It is meant to just have some fun, and if racing is your thing, you can race a buddy with this as well. Current version is VI, released on October 15, 2014.
What this does randomize:
- Character starting stats. It takes the maximum stat a character has, for instance Gau's 99 battle power, and the lowest, Strago's 10 battle power, and picks a number in that range for each character. Most stats will generally be higher as a result.
- Treasure chests. All treasure chests in the game, save for the Striker in the Cave of the Veldt, have been put into tiers and will be chosen at random. This means you will not get a Ragnarok in Figaro Castle. If a chest contains a Potion, that chest will have something similar to a Potion. Also because of the tiers, a couple of Monster-in-a-Boxes have been added.
- Character skillsets. Terra gets Rage? Sabin can Steal? Umaro can Runic? Sure, why not. To account for non-Gau getting Rage, and because of Gau's recruitment in the WoR, Leap has been removed entirely. Don't worry, leaning Rages is very, very easy now.
- Natural abilities. The starting Rages, Lores, and spells of whoever has those skills has been shuffled around.
- Shops! Items that appear in shops are shuffled around, except the Sprint Shoes. Any shop that sells the shoes will still have them.
- Character names and palettes. Should be fairly self-explanatory.
- Equipment. Specifically, who can equip what. This also accounts for starting equipment.
- Espers. The spells they teach, and the rate they teach at have been shuffled around. It will be generally easier to learn spells now. However, there is no guarantee every spell will be available.
- vVI - Colosseum items. The items you win in Dragon's Neck have been shuffled around.
- vVI - Enemy drops and steals. They have been grouped into a tier system similar to the treasure chests and shops.
- vVI - The RNG table. How a random number is fetched hasn't been changed, but the table from which those numbers have been generated are.
- vVI - Psycho Cyan. Cyan, under certain circumstances would counter-attack his own attacks, which will eventually kill all enemies on the field.
- vVI - Vanish/Doom. Vanish will now behave according to how it does in Final Fantasy VI Advance.
- Evade. The evade stat was never referenced for any dodging, so the stat was useless.
The interface of the randomizer will now let you set your configurations of the game before you generate your rom, basically so you never have to do it unless you need to change something mid-game. Whatever settings you use will be saved so you never have to redo them for each new rom.
Just in case the text above doesn't tell the whole story, both Dessy and myself have streamed a few sessions of the randomizer. My older one from mid-July can be found here
, and a highlight from Dessy from just 3 days ago (August 24) can be seen here
. While the whole video is still there, you can watch that too
, but with recent changes to Twitch it won't be available for very long.
What this does not, and will not change, ever:
So yeah, please check it out, and if you have any bugs to report, do so here so we can squash them! Any feedback is also welcome! Most importantly, have fun!
Clarifying who did what:
Dessyreqt did all of the UI/program stuff, and I did all of the game hacking stuff.