This inspired me to further hack Zelda II to more or less alleviate the most obnoxious things which takes away from making Zelda II a more enjoyable experience.
Here is the patch for the beta (Updated with each release):
And here's the changelog of the hack compared to vanilla Zelda II so far:
- Changes to the Life Meter HUD: Should have hearts now instead of the old bars it had for a life meter
- Manual Save Feature: You can now save the game by Pausing and then pressing Up+A on the Pause screen (both in side-scroll pause and overworld pause!)
- Manual saves no longer count towards the Death counter in the Selection screen! Now only Game Overs should increment that counter
- Implemented @njosro's Restart in Current Palace patch (as a bonus)
- Enemies no longer steal experience from you.
- Reduced the amount of HP the Bubble (and Giant Bubble) enemies have. Should now go down with like 10 Sword swings instead of a damn million (having FF in their lives was really something stupid for such a meaningless enemy), and they have also been made non-respawnable to avoid abusing grinding of these enemies, since their EXP hasn't been modified.
- Reduced the amount of magic consumption by half for all levels
If anyone can give a full run of the game and let me know how the changes feel, please let me know.
I am also seeking out for suggestions and things that could make Zelda II a better experience over all.
If you have any suggestions, please feel free to post them here!
I'll analyze them and try to add them if I feel fit.
One thing worth nothing though, is that I most likely won't be modifying any graphics for sure, nor implement whole new spell behaviours or anything like that.
I'll try to focus on 1) Rebalancing the game, 2) Modify stuff which is already obnoxious in-game, 3) Perhaps rewriting some lines which don't make sense in the game.
Though, if any of you still have some ideas which you think might add to the game and are somewhat doable, please feel free to let me know
More common enemy drops (in general) Fix Boss' health bar
- Change in-game text to something better translated/localized.
This is a good base to work with for that: http://www.glitterberri.com/adventure-of-link/retranslation/
- Reduce beeping noise to make it less annoying
- Rebalance enemies. This might take a while to do since I need to know WHAT enemies and HOW to balance them properly to give a proper balanced experience and not a too easy/too hard one.
HELP NEEDED FOR:
- Try to restore the moving water animation on the Overworld
- Try to restore the Dragon Quest reference.
Currently, the exact spot where the textbox for the reference is triggered in the Famicom version is not there, a hotspot would need to be made for it as well as a new text entry for it.
- Try to add a PAUSE message on the overworld (this is really hopeful lol)
Possible enemy modifications:
- Orange Moblin - 2-4 exp
- Orange Goriya - 24-30 exp (or lower the red moblin a little bit)
- "Wolf" in the palace - 1-3 exp
- Blue Bat - 10 exp
- Red Goriya - 35-40 exp