A new twist on a old hack...in color...Background
When receiving the Varia suit on the NES version, the developer could simply swap the palette to visualize that Samus changed suit and can now sustain more damage. This technique was not used on the GB version - propably because of the very limited palette available. So, instead the developers added a second set of sprites for Samus equipped with the Varia suit.
There is a hack, called Metroid II DX by Redrum
that utilizes this feature of the GB version in a clever way:
The second set of Samus sprites is that of a suitless Samus!
With that hack - you can play the first part of the game as regular suited Samus and the last part as suitless Samus.
So I thought - why not add this feature to the most acclaimed colorization hack, the one made by Dan Davis
In addition, I wanted a different palette for suitless Samus and also to recolor tiles and sprites that didn't look spot-on.
After hours of gaming and work - I finally reached a point where I'm pleased with the result.
The patch is tested and will work properly (that is, GB colorizer-properly) on:
- WIN emulator VisualBoy
- DS emulator gameYob
- Better looking sprites (Suited and Suitless!)
- Rebalanced palettes
- Numerous palette-swaps for sprites and tiles
- Proper colored Metroids!
Known issues (inherited and caused by the coloring by 'GB colorizer'):
- The rom will (most likely) NOT work on real hardware
- The rom will NOT work properly in WIN emulator 'Bgb' (probably because it is more accurate to the real hardware than VisualBoy)
- Temporary screen artifacts when passing from one room into another that uses a different tile-set. Sometimes the artifacts can form a 'wall' behind you - but they will disappear as soon as the screen rewrites.
- Flickering when fighting the last Boss (at least in VisualBoy)
Since I don't want to spend the rest of the day uploading the patch to ROMhacking.net (wait until approved, getting it rejected, do it all again, wait some more....) - I uploaded it to FileTrip
(in under 2 minutes)
Get the patch from FileTrip: http://filetrip.net/dl?bYrq9hFOAc
Wait for the download file
button - don't press anything else...
Apply the patch to the rom 'Metroid II - Return of Samus (World)' CRC32: DEE05370
Here are some screen-shots:
[ REMOVED ]