hi guys, im working on a hack of secret of mana to fix the common gameplay issues/abuses, add new gameplay elements, an option for the difficulty setting and various other things to hopefully make it more enjoyable and different in terms of gameplay.heres the list of changes I have done so far
- AI controlled characters don't get stuck
Actually they still do get stuck, but they don't stop the screen movements and get teleported back to the leading player if they go off-screen.
- MP is shown at all time
Still need some work to make it look better
- Binding magic spells to A,B,X,Y (now for all 3 players)
You can now cast spells without interupting the game. Thx to Piotyr for the idea ! First you have to go in the menu, put the cursor over the spell you want to bind, hold R then press A,B,X or Y to bind the magic the the chosen button. Then when in combat, pressing R will put you in "targeting mode" pressing left or right will make you select a target then pressing A,B,X or Y will make you (or the ally who have the chosen spell) cast the spell on the target, pressing R again will cancel. You can only target 1 character or enemy at a time, I still don't know if I'll make it possible to cast on all as it is kind of OP imo.
V0.3 : it is now possible to cast spells from the menu but you still have to pick your target during the action.
- Magic recharging time
After a character casts a spell he will have to wait some time (about 10seconds) before he can cast again. The face of the character on the botom of the screen will flash to show that it is currently unable to cast. No more chain-casting on bosses
- Strong/Weak attacks (now for all 3 players)
There are now 2 different normal attacks for each weapons, attacking while pressing a direction on the D-pad will trigger the strong attack (a thrust with melee weapons) which is 25% stronger than the weak one but takes 25% more time to recharge. In order to not make the game easier and slower it is the weak attack which actually hits 25% less and recharges 25% faster than in vanilla.
- Manual blocking (now for all 3 players)
Pressing the L button now makes your character block, he takes a "blocking stance" during a short time in which he will evade any physical attack. Blocking does not affect the power%, it is hard enough to have the right timing anyway. You can also block while charging but it will pause the charging for a short time.
V0.4: Human controlled characters can now only dodge manually.
- Enhanced bow
The bow now shoots twice as far and the power% starts recharging as soon as the arrow hits something. It also has a 99% hit chance.
- Reduced hit-recovery time
When you hit an enemy he will get up twice as fast as he did normally. This is to give a chance to enemies, normally by the time enemies get up you already have your 100% power back so you can hit them before they have a chance to move. This also works for playable characters preventing you to get stuck in a corner getting hit each time you get up until you die.
- Reduced damage/healing time
The time the players/enemies are immobilized as the damage or healing numbers are shown as been split in 2.
- 3 Difficulty settings
At the start of a new game, the player chooses the difficulty setting (easy, normal or hard). The difficulty setting affects how long the magic recharging time is as well as the enemies attack speed and how much damage the playable characters receive when hit by a physical or magic attack.kown issues
- Ghosts of dead characters and normally transparent enemies are not transparent anymore, this is not really a bug, it is there because when you are in "targeting-mode" your target become transparent to make it easier to know who you are targeting when characters/enemies are close to each other. Bosses wont flash when targeted tho.
- The character faces used as a cursor when targeting is always on the bottom of the enemies/characters, when enemies are flying it appears on the bottom of their shadow which looks odd. At least the target will be transparent so it is not confusing to know who you are targeting. The face-cursor will also be off if the target is at the edge of the screen or wanders outside the screen while being targeted.
Here is the latest Beta patch : V.10
It should be applied on an hearderless US rom, patching tool included in the zip.here are some things I plan to add
- Change the bosses HP at higher difficulty settings
- Reseting charge level to 0 if another character switch weapon with a charging character
(to fix the abuse where you can use charges over your current weapon lvl)
- Make weapons special effects less abusive
Some weapons have special status effect like balloon which are way OP, I would like to make it so the effect has a 20-25% chance to work instead of working all the time.
- Make stats boost spells last longer
- Make the charged attacks charge faster depending on weapon level
- Give a default level to spirits
Undine 0, Gnome 0, sylph 1, salamander 1, shade 2, lumina 2, luna 3, dryad 4
Pressing R while charging will stop the charge at the current level to give you time to position yourself
- Elemental weapons only work at random
element effects like snowman will have a 20-25% chance to work while still doing elemental damage all the time.
- Reduce the amount of HP healed by the luna elemental weapon
15-20% of the damage dealt would still be pretty powerful
- Make treasure chest give you another item if you are already full (healing items only)
For example, if a treasure chest would give you a chocolate bar but you already have 4 and have only 3 candies it would give you a candy instead. It will never give you a better item than what it would have given you in the first place. The only items that it could give you are candies, chocolate bar and honey.
- Equipment give stats boost
Equipement could boost some stats to give some stats customization options.
here are some ideas im still unsure about:
- Stat boost depending on weapon
For example the axe (which is just a sword with bad range) could raise the defense when equiped, the gloves could raise the evasion. The javeline could have a higher hit-rate (maybe even always 100%) to make it better compared to the new bow.
- Character dependent fighting skills
For example the girl could block/evade for a longer time (or maybe she could even do a counter-attack after a sucessful block?), the sprite could have an even faster weak attack. And other stuff like this that would give each character a bit of a different play style to make it more interesting.
Tell me if you have ideas of what I could add to make this great game better !