- Sunset Hill Zone. A lot of the redesign is off, and it's easy to get jammed into walls, stuck between spikes, etc. Aesthetically speaking, there is a lot of awkwardness to the design. For example, having single spikes all over the place, having parts of the level "layered" on top one another, not connecting certain tiles together or connecting mis-matched ones, etc. I died about 10 times trying to make it past the pitfall / spike pit in Act 2. I eventually had to abuse Shadow's double jump to sweep across it. It might be better to stick with the original style, and try to simply re-organize the zones without making so many radical and experimental changes.
- The other zones. There wasn't much redesign there, so most everything after Sunset Hill quickly loses interest. The renaming was also a bit questionable. For example, "Dark Fortress"? I expected a palette change, at least.
- Having a seperate font for each character is odd. Namely Shadow's. It seems so aesthetically off.
- Why Mighty the Armadillo? It would have been neat to see a more diverse character, such as Amy the Hedgehog.
- While I like the music, certain themes aren't implemented well. For example, Shadow's fanfare. It sounds like my speakers are being raped! My only other complaint (so far) is the theme used for Dark Fortress, Act 3. Maybe it's just me, but the white noise in that theme just seems way too persistent. I'm weird for noticing things like that...
On the other hand, let me just say that I really like the progress so far. Some of the features I really liked are:
- The fact that you have selectable characters.
- The remixed themes.
- The new moves.
- Little additions such as enemies dropping rings when you defeat them.
It must have been a lot of hard work to implement all of this, though. It looks like a very promising project.