logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84267352 visitors

Author Topic: Translations: Dragon Quest III  (Read 17613 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Translations: Dragon Quest III
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 03:16:36 pm »
I thought it was because they liked the name Dragon Quest name better, and would have used it earlier if they could.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »
Well, yeah, but I'm saying there was a reason for switching when they did.
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

stev418

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 03:37:36 pm »
In Australia they emitted the '8', its just called Dragon Quest: The Journey of the Cursed King, but I bought the ntsc version so all good ;)

Just wanted to add my thanks for the trans patch for DQ3.

One small thing im not sure if anyone can help me with though. The rom plays fine in zsnesw142, but when i make it into  a WII virtual console channel I just get a 'J' in the "Create Adventure Log" BOX. Probably a compatibility issue with the nintendo emulator :( but was curious since I read about the 'J' before text bug from previous builds

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »
Ah yes, Dragon WARRIOR 3 is a great game.
Dragon Warrior 3? Never heard of that game before!

http://www.square-enix-usa.com/games/dragon-warrior3/

I'm still very much wondering why some people thinks this version to be superior, see review. Srsly. I still love the old GB(C) allright, but then again, why should anyone miss out the wonderfully drawn SNES graphics? For one poor additional dungeon? For the fact you can play it on a handheld when there are emulators for psp / ds?

Only the name. Other than that they're the same game other than the enhancements. It really made no sense to arbitrarily start calling north american releases the quest name at 8, and it feels like a slap in the face to old fans of dragon warrior. That's the reason.

I disagree. The only reason they changed it was because Dragon Quest was copyright with Dungeons and Dragons at the time. Anytime you can keep things the same it's better to do. Just like they changed all the things in DQ8 back to correct translation. I mean, do we really want names like "Book of Satori"? Out with the old, in with the correct.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 06:18:02 pm »
he's right, they always intended to call it dragon quest but couldn't because of legal reasons. Sorry, it was "meant to be".
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 11:26:20 pm »
Perhaps the VC emulator doesn't support 48mbit, since no legally available VC games use it?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 02:36:51 am »
I've heard other reports that it worked fine. Maybe they were using a different emulator though.

poliver

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 08:28:04 am »

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 12:21:57 pm »
They say it's the little things in life that really  piss you off.  Well, that's true in the reverse as well.  This release is a bright spot for everyone interested in these games.  Good work.
When Reason Fails

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 12:48:50 pm »
Now that i've finally had the time to play it, i just have to say: GREAT WORK!  :beer: I'm so happy that after the shameful years of denial during the 90s we are able to see most of the DQ parts in english, when 6 gets released stateside on the DS that will be all of them. Not only that, but in their (IMHO) superior versions, too, thx to dedicated fans like DaMarsMan.

CaseCrash

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 07:35:54 pm »
Thank you thank you thank you! I've been waiting for this for a long time (when DeJap was still active :P) Congratulations on a job well done :beer:

CANS

• NOT GAY(not that there's anything wrong with that)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 11:28:40 pm »
I disagree. The only reason they changed it was because Dragon Quest was copyright with Dungeons and Dragons at the time.

That's a failed argument. They weren't using the "dungeons & dragons" trademark, and Enix's game Dragon Quest came long before the board game in the US, as did the change to Dragon Warrior for NES release. Total prior art victory if it ever came to court.

Anytime you can keep things the same it's better to do.

And that's the point, they didn't, and it was far too late when they did.

The real reason why they did it was indeed to keep the names the same, to save some money on the loads of logo graphics for ports and remakes as of then, not for some noble reason. I also don't like the Dragon Quest name, might as well call it Dragon RPG or Dragon Story. Not that Dragon Warrior was any better, but maybe it can be, and the fact that it already was named that way pushes it over the edge to me.

As far as the Final Fantasy argument. Even I can understand how the FF game versions matched each other, but maybe I'm just a genius that way. But for Dragon, I think Americans aren't so dumb to be incapable of distinguishing game names with the same numbering.

Just like they changed all the things in DQ8 back to correct translation.

"Correct" in this case is 100% subjective artistry. Esp. when we're talking about a translation.

For example, in literal translation vs. natural translation, I'd say that even with rom translations the latter has gained favor, and it's the better choice.

Wendell

• View Profile
    • Superman Summaries
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 07:56:09 am »
Of all the things to rage out about, you picked a pretty silly one CANS.

Anyway, do the personalities have an effect on stat changes when you level up?  Or do they do something else?  Or nothing?  I've been giving people personalities that sound like they might be beneficial.  I wonder if his being "worldly" is the reason my thief has the highest defense on the team.  I also think it's sort of dumb that I go through this whole personality test at the beginning where my hero ends up as a "romantic", only to have that be changeable by reading a book five minutes into the game!
Read my reviews of early Superman comics at
Superman Summaries!

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 09:19:05 am »
I disagree. The only reason they changed it was because Dragon Quest was copyright with Dungeons and Dragons at the time.

That's a failed argument. They weren't using the "dungeons & dragons" trademark, and Enix's game Dragon Quest came long before the board game in the US, as did the change to Dragon Warrior for NES release. Total prior art victory if it ever came to court.

Anytime you can keep things the same it's better to do.

And that's the point, they didn't, and it was far too late when they did.

The real reason why they did it was indeed to keep the names the same, to save some money on the loads of logo graphics for ports and remakes as of then, not for some noble reason. I also don't like the Dragon Quest name, might as well call it Dragon RPG or Dragon Story. Not that Dragon Warrior was any better, but maybe it can be, and the fact that it already was named that way pushes it over the edge to me.

As far as the Final Fantasy argument. Even I can understand how the FF game versions matched each other, but maybe I'm just a genius that way. But for Dragon, I think Americans aren't so dumb to be incapable of distinguishing game names with the same numbering.

Just like they changed all the things in DQ8 back to correct translation.

"Correct" in this case is 100% subjective artistry. Esp. when we're talking about a translation.

For example, in literal translation vs. natural translation, I'd say that even with rom translations the latter has gained favor, and it's the better choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior#North_American_Localization

CANS

• NOT GAY(not that there's anything wrong with that)
    • View Profile

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:55 pm »
CANS = didn’t do the homework

D&D Dragon Quest (1992) != DragonQuest (1980)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Finn

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:26 am »
Is the DQ3 with translation possible to run on a copier?  I wanted to play this on the actual hardware but it freezes after the splash screen...I did test the original (J) version and it seems to run fine.

Tauwasser

• Fantabulous!!
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:30 am »
Try bsnes and if it chokes, too, then it's a faulty piece of code somewhere. Should be able to get fixed.

cYa,

Tauwasser

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2009, 08:32:54 am »
Holy crap, it's done! Great job, guys!