logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]  (Read 183775 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Titlescreens: Screenshots & Edits [Constructive Criticism Only]
« Reply #900 on: April 19, 2016, 10:39:30 am »
I also think that Vanya want to simulate the style used in the first Castlevania title, this is a job is very difficult in itself because all lines must be solid and should place them dealing with the restrictions because the use of multiple pallets.

This is a drawing done in first stay, plus I doubt that can be applied in the game the end result leaves much to be desired.

You have to take into consideration the NES palette limitations.
You can't have more than 3 colours per tile and I can see Yellow, blue, purple and red in  there.
I say simply change the sky blue colour to the purple one and it might be doable.

sics

• View Profile
« Reply #901 on: April 19, 2016, 03:05:21 pm »
You have to take into consideration the NES palette limitations.
You can't have more than 3 colours per tile and I can see Yellow, blue, purple and red in  there.
I say simply change the sky blue colour to the purple one and it might be doable.

Of course, this image has no useful value, predates the first published image, the uploaded because only after trying it I noticed the challenge confronted by Vanya, is really admirable the way they run her work. :laugh:

For this reason it seems to me very difficult to apply my image to the format that seeks. I tried several styles of I color and when I apply the restrictions that are perceived in the original image can not achieving anything sufficiently balanced.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #902 on: April 21, 2016, 02:35:33 pm »
That moon is going to become an oval on a real TV or on a minimally accurate emulator. The Nes generates a 256x240 picture but the NTSC signal will naturally distort the pixels to create a 4/3 image. That's why Kirby with square pixel is skinny and on a television is round.

I don't make things for TV use and I always set my emulators to use a square pixel ratio. Sorry to those that do, but it's just not my thing.

Of course, this image has no useful value, predates the first published image, the uploaded because only after trying it I noticed the challenge confronted by Vanya, is really admirable the way they run her work. :laugh:

I'm a boy. :P

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #903 on: May 11, 2016, 09:42:58 am »

I don't think I'm done with it yet, but courtesy of FlashPV. I might change Musashi to red as it sticks out more, but the game uses a neat fade in effect through the palette and I'm not sure if red would place nice with it. There's also a kanji logo that I'll probably stick back in somewhere.

Changed to red.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:06:36 pm by Pennywise »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #904 on: May 20, 2016, 10:12:28 pm »
Writing a character's name in red for a game with a Japanese setting may not be the best decision due to superstition etiquette.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #905 on: May 21, 2016, 04:15:46 am »
Writing a character's name in red for a game with a Japanese setting may not be the best decision due to superstition etiquette.
Interesting link! Thanks, mister T!

Yakibomb

• SMRPG Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: June 05, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
Hi, I would like some constructive criticism on my title screen for my hack. I thought posting it here might help the process along for me or anyone else.

I have two different versions of my title screen, I'm not sure if this is a step forward or a step backward.

First iteration:

Second iteration:

The second iteration is a revision of the first one. As it stands the first one I thought didn't look right because the water wasn't dripping, and the letters were completely flooded. This is all fine, but I wondered about the water with the sharp bottom left+right corners, it just didn't sit well with me.

The second iteration is a lighter version, but I still find it to be maybe... empty? Bland? I'm not sure what the right word is, but it doesn't seem to be as interesting as I want it.

I would like to keep the letters bold and contrast with the dark background, to help them stand out and give that "oomph" I want. I like the font I used (because it took awhile to make it to how I liked), so I would like to keep that as well if it looks ok.

It just seems... like something seems missing. I don't know. Anything helps. Thank you all.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 05, 2016, 07:26:09 pm »
I don't get why you would want parasitic to have a different font. So I say the 2nd picture.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: June 05, 2016, 08:58:22 pm »
I agree with Mathuser---the subtitle should all be the same font for sure.

On the bright side, it feels like there's still a lot of space to put stuff if you wanted to add more to the title screen.  I might be mis-remembering things, but IIRC the SMRPG title screen had a lot more going on.  Regardless, I think #2 is the better way to go!

Yakibomb

• SMRPG Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 06, 2016, 01:41:06 am »
Thank you for the feedback! I agree, the font should really be the same. I posted this on MFGG.net and they gave some feedback as well, and this is what came about:

This is the shot in-game.

I'm pret-ty satisfied, but I would like to hear any negative feedback on it. Positive is good, too. ;)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: June 06, 2016, 04:57:04 pm »
You should name it Plumbers don't wear ties 2.