logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78319996 visitors

Author Topic: FF7 NES Chinese Translation  (Read 90634 times)

Lindblum

• Sometimes... Sometimes the diaper leaks.
    • View Profile
Re: FF7 NES Chinese Translation
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2008, 06:18:24 am »
The text IS 8x16.  I'm working on removing the blank tiles as a step towards 4-line text.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2008, 01:13:51 pm »
It was a hell of a challenge, but I believe I have 4-line text in working order!  By this weekend I'd like to let all ye faithful audit a new patch.  It will contain the improved text engine, improved equipment names, some restored text, partial fixing of animated backgrounds, and even gameplay rebalancing.   :angel:
Also, most lines start with a 4-byte avatar header.  I was easily able to retune them to use 2-bytes, so memory is becoming less and less of an issue.  Still deciding about putting in the time to fix the battle graphics bug, which is just a matter of economizing the PPU.  Best case, all I'd have to do is omit a bitshift.

Edit - It was kind of a busy weekend.  Relax, I haven't forgotten the people heroically waiting for this patch.
Edit - Current delays are due to a bug found in the revised text engine at certain parts of the game.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:11:51 pm by Lindblum »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2008, 07:35:07 pm »
Sweet! I look forward to it. ^_^

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2008, 04:53:22 pm »
Oh wow, first I heard of this game was today. How could I have been missing something this awesome for this long? :) I would LOVE to see this in English.

I haven't read up on everything yet but I'm wondering: when doing this "translation", are you actually translating from the language in this pirate version or are you just copying English out of the PS1 or PC official games? Either way, if it basically makes sense, do it! And I look forward to getting my greedy little hands on the finished product :D

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2008, 10:25:13 am »
Has anyone managed to get this game running on a PSP? NesterJ doesn't support the mapper :( I did manage to get the partially-translated patch applied and get it running on my PC though

Holy crap, this game is really hard. i got to blow up the reactor and get back to the train in the first mission but I was out of potions and without Barrett, the soldiers blew me away. Kinda sucks that I had all those PhoenixDowns but nobody left to use them. either the freakin Chinese kids must be amazing game players or else the programmers are just sadistic lol :)

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2008, 09:38:36 pm »
Nerd42 ,
Nestopia and FCEU support the NANJING mapper, but not much else does, though I don't know any portable emulators that can.  I read that someone got it to work as a GBA ROM, and it's possible a portable GBA emulator could do the trick:
Baidu (Google Translated)
DWEdit
As for the translation, to answer your question, 85% of the game's text is copied from transcripts of the North American release of the PSX game.  That saved a lot of unnecessary translation work, but I still had to do some of my own translation and improvisation. 
As I said in the other thread, the next patch is delayed while I debug the revised text engine.

If it freshens your day, here's a raw FF7NES world map I've created.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 09:48:26 pm by Lindblum »

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2008, 09:59:48 am »
Can't you even manage a 99 potions cheat? :) that would at least get me past the first mission lol :)

I was just trying PocketNES yesterday. (To try running the game through my GBA emulator on the PSP) No luck. I got other nes games running but the mapper isn't supported by the stuff on the official site at least http://www.pocketnes.org/downloads.html

Another option I could try is finding a DOS based NES emulator that supports this mapper and run it through CrazyC's DosBox port. I suspect that would be unbearably slow however.

(later edit) after trying the links you listed, I ran into an error page in Chinese. For a bit I thought the links had expired but then, using Google Translate, I found out that the developers of that dude's file server were stupid enough to only design for (lame) Internet Explorer and don't support the awesomest browser in the world: FireFox. Now I've got it but that doesn't help much because I don't know how they did it and I will need to know that in order to get your patches running as GBA roms :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:14:35 am by Nerd42 »

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2008, 11:11:43 am »
Can't you even manage a 99 potions cheat?  :)that would at least get me past the first mission lol  :)
"Cheat" is not in my vocabulary.  I could change the initial inventory to 20 and haggle down the store price.

(later edit) after trying the links you listed, I ran into an error page in Chinese. For a bit I thought the links had expired but then, using Google Translate, I found out that the developers of that dude's file server were stupid enough to only design for (lame) Internet Explorer and don't support the awesomest browser in the world: FireFox.
I remember that error page.  IE sucks FF's balls.  I keep IE as a secondary browser for these things. 
Now I've got it but that doesn't help much because I don't know how they did it and I will need to know that in order to get your patches running as GBA roms :)
If I recall, they only give you the Chinese GBA file (if it's still there), and not the patcher to make the NES into a GBA.  Fret not, for I hypothesize that the entire NES ROM should exist inside the GBA unbroken.  I took a quick peek inside the GBA file and found that it exists at 0x30910.  In theory you can take a patched version of the NES file, remove the 16-byte header to leave you with the ROM, and copy it directly onto the GBA at 0x30910.  Caveat: I've run the GBA in VisualBoyAdvance, and the emulation was terrible (did you have the same experience?).  Still, I'm curious on what a portable GBA emulator can do.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
"Cheat" is not in my vocabulary.  I could change the initial inventory to 20 and haggle down the store price.
Why do just 20 when you could do 99? it's not like the game was initially balanced to be playable, and unbalancing it would break the creator's original vision or something. anything to make the game easier or to eliminate difficulties and just make it be a tour of what ff7 would look like in 8-bit graphics and sound would be nice

(later edit) after trying the links you listed, I ran into an error page in Chinese. For a bit I thought the links had expired but then, using Google Translate, I found out that the developers of that dude's file server were stupid enough to only design for (lame) Internet Explorer and don't support the awesomest browser in the world: FireFox.
I remember that error page.  IE sucks FF's balls.  I keep IE as a secondary browser for these things. 
Now I've got it but that doesn't help much because I don't know how they did it and I will need to know that in order to get your patches running as GBA roms :)
If I recall, they only give you the Chinese GBA file (if it's still there), and not the patcher to make the NES into a GBA.  Fret not, for I hypothesize that the entire NES ROM should exist inside the GBA unbroken.  I took a quick peek inside the GBA file and found that it exists at 0x30910.  In theory you can take a patched version of the NES file, remove the 16-byte header to leave you with the ROM, and copy it directly onto the GBA at 0x30910.  Caveat: I've run the GBA in VisualBoyAdvance, and the emulation was terrible (did you have the same experience?).  Still, I'm curious on what a portable GBA emulator can do.
I haven't got a chance to run it yet but it's encouraging that the rom's in there intact. But won't your completed translation make the file size bigger, thus breaking the GBA version? The way you were talking about lines and stuff seemed to suggest that

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2008, 01:10:22 pm »
I haven't got a chance to run it yet but it's encouraging that the rom's in there intact. But won't your completed translation make the file size bigger, thus breaking the GBA version? The way you were talking about lines and stuff seemed to suggest that
It will be the exact same size.  The memory issues I mentioned were not about file size, but bank size.  The dialog is broken into 32kB memory banks, so after I translate I have to make sure that the data fits properly into its own bank.  That's not much of a problem now, except for the bank that stores text AND animated BG graphics.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2008, 01:32:25 pm »
oh nice. well i'd appreciate anything that can make the game easier :)

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2008, 04:17:10 pm »
MERRY CHRISTMAS! HERE'S YOUR PRESENT!   :D
97% Translation & Improvement Patch
World Map
The long wait for the new patch is finally over!  I don't have everything I want finished complete yet, but I'm so much closer:
* 4-line text
* Dialog encoded more efficiently, so text is more comprehensive
* Tweaked dialog to address that Scarlet and Palmer have been revisioned into one female character (Pretend her name is Scarlet Palmer)
* Improved battle menu command names
* Improved equipment names and use small icons
* Modified elemental and equipment class icons
* Fixed animated backgrounds
* Changed battle BG from trees to generic horizontal lines
* Reduced item prices
* Reduced Exp needed to gain character levels
* Reduced Exp needed to gain weapon levels
* Reduced Exp needed to gain materia levels
* Reduced Exp needed to gain spell levels
* Increased status bonuses for level-ups
* Increased initial Potion and Phoenix inventory
* Rearranged spell inventory to be more orderly
* Adjusted all enemy attack patterns to incorporate the new spell inventory
* Battle PPU engine has not been improved yet.  Still liable to display enemies incorrectly on occasion.

As I come to the final stages your thoughts will be most appreciated.

Edit: I just replaced the file with a better version where I decrease random encounter rate (12/24/08 5:48PM EST)
Edit: Fixed the world map file (12/16/08 12:42PM EST)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 12:38:00 pm by Lindblum »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2008, 05:51:38 pm »
I have to congratulate you making what I thought was an awful game into something decent. Incidently, I believe I've found an issue. When you use magic, magic will replace the the max HP for just a second and then return to normal. Not a big deal, but it was something that struck me.

Have you thought about hosting the patch here as well? You'd need a direct file host in order to do so, but I could upload the patch and submit it for you. Your choice.

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2008, 06:22:44 pm »
Thank you, Pennywise.
The original ROM writes each fighter's current command over their MaxHP.  It's unusual, but it's not a bug.  I just didn't see a big reason to change it.  I fully intend to host the patch on the site when I feel it is complete.  The spell graphics will have to be changed around, certain character avatars too, the mechanics will need more work, and I need more playthrough to find the context of improvised translations.  What makes no sense is that they removed a lot of lines from the 1st bar scene when the text already exists in the ROM.  What I really think should be done to make it more playable is to increase the speed of the game.  Yes, an emulator can speed it up, but I hope to make it real.

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2008, 05:49:29 pm »
all right! can't wait to test it out :)

do you have any kind of roadmap / time table for when you think you might possibly have the final patch done? (I'm asking for a general subject-to-change idea, not a release date)

Killa B

• Fallen Angel
    • View Profile
    • Killa B
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2008, 06:18:49 pm »
do you have any kind of roadmap / time table for when you think you might possibly have the final patch done? (I'm asking for a general subject-to-change idea, not a release date)
On top of that, Lindblum, do you have a gameplan for what you still have planned? I'm curious as to exactly what hacks and improvements you have planned, what you're working on right now, etc.

I'm excited about this project, but I'm the kind of guy who would rather wait until it's completely done before playing (especially since I've heard the original Chinese version is a pile of shit. :P)
I always dreamed of doing a Pokemon hack

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2008, 06:53:51 pm »
Thank you, Pennywise.
The original ROM writes each fighter's current command over their MaxHP. 
Didn't FF3 also do that?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2008, 01:19:18 am »
Playing this for a little while makes me desperate for a graphics upgrade. When the translation is complete I may just start a graphics upgrade project. ^_^

Lindblum

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2008, 06:42:45 pm »
Alright, you deserve to hear what gameplan I have.  First off, the patches I've posted are alphas or 0.xx versions, just to invite opinions and feedback.  I do not intend them to be the version you play for real.  When I actually release I will call it v1.0, and give it a more public release. 
The translation itself is good as done, but I'm running through the game to find mistakes, mine and Nanjing's.  Right now I'm:
* Rearranging spell graphics
* Restoring dialog absent from the original file (bar scene, ending)
* Assessing the unfairness of boss HP
* Learning about the sound engine (though I might not actually do much about it)
* Seeing if I can figure out how to speed up the timing
* Doing minor fixes to the battle PPU engine
* I should also try to fix the buggy buggy (for some reason it's hard to get into the river buggy)
* The ending is F.U.B.A.R. to say the least, so I'm taking responsibility for making it passable (That's the biggest priority)

Killa B,
As for an ETA I'm not sure you can trust me there.  Back in August I thought this would only take me a few weeks, until I realized this was going to be more than a matter of replacing Chinese with English text.  Frankly, I want to be free of this project within 3 weeks.

Vanya,
Any further changes I make to graphics might make complications with a facelift project, though I still invite it.  There's just a weirdness to the concept of me redrawing spells, only to have them redone again by the next team.  I rearranged the spells of each materia to have a more logical flow, but their graphics are still the same.  Among other things, I want to change the highest level spell of each materia to have the appearance of a summon (has to be 32x32).  If you want to discuss a facelift project I would suggest making a new thread so I can twink over all my knowledge.

P.S. I only finally beat the game an hour ago.  :beer:

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2008, 10:46:28 pm »
OK. I'll start a thread for a face lift project. It would really make this game complete to have new graphics instead of the seemingly rehashed FF3 tiles. If I could I'd change the music too, but that's beyond me. ^_^