logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71444514 visitors

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 128537 times)

Legend

• View Profile
Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #320 on: January 08, 2012, 11:15:43 pm »
I'd love to see a Journey to Silius hack that lets you shoot up.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2012, 01:58:45 am »
I'd love to see a Journey to Silius hack that lets you shoot up.
Ditto. :thumbsup: Has someone done this with Mega Man yet? :o
And I'll leave it at that!

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 10, 2012, 08:17:40 am »
If somebody did that then they might as well make Mega Man collect mushrooms that make him grow large and give him a sword and shield and experience points.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2012, 09:08:40 pm »
For mega man, I would prefer being able to duck.

If somebody did that then they might as well make Mega Man collect mushrooms that make him grow large and give him a sword and shield and experience points.

Don't think I really get that comment.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 10, 2012, 09:33:34 pm »
Yeah, sorry, yeah, it was pretty lame anyway. I was saying that a game in which Mega Man can shoot up is not even Mega Man-esque any more, so anything goes.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:14 pm »
Yeah, sorry, yeah, it was pretty lame anyway. I was saying that a game in which Mega Man can shoot up is not even Mega Man-esque any more, so anything goes.

I can definitely see something as seemingly simple as being able to shoot upwards in silius or mega man possibly being game breaking, but those games are moderately difficult in the first place that I don't think it would make them overly easy.

Mega Man with a sword, shield, and experience might be fun.  :D

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:11 pm »
I can definitely see something as seemingly simple as being able to shoot upwards in silius or mega man possibly being game breaking, but those games are moderately difficult in the first place that I don't think it would make them overly easy.

Mega Man with a sword, shield, and experience might be fun.  :D

Yeah, it would actually.

But what I was trying to say wasn't that shooting up would break the game by making it overly easy, but rather that it would be tampering with the gameplay style of Mega Man games that people have come to know and love.
Who among us who has played Mega Man is not familiar with the "tap, jump, & shoot" pattern that is used to hit high enemies? If Mega Man could shoot up, it would throw off that whole familiar pattern.

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 13, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »
Like the retail compilation Caravan Shooting Collection? ;)

That makes the idea sound slightly lamer but it probably would still be nice to have the NES games as standalone, basically.

Still pretty curious about how to find the "5-minute mode" though. Hrm. From what I heard neither 2 or 5-minute mode is in the CSC version of Star Soldier. Is it anywhere in it's ROM data regardless?

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 14, 2012, 07:26:52 am »
wow.... all i saw was "that lets you shoot up"

I thought you were pondering making megaman a heroin junkie... Curses then mentioned collecting mushrooms, and I was even more convinced...
I wish I was joking :/  lol
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

creeperton

• Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
    • View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #329 on: January 14, 2012, 01:05:23 pm »
wow.... all i saw was "that lets you shoot up"

I thought you were pondering making megaman a heroin junkie... Curses then mentioned collecting mushrooms, and I was even more convinced...
I wish I was joking :/  lol
Oh god, imagine the bosses!  Needleman, Crackpipebot, tweakerbot, boozepisserman, pill-popperman,...

Oh dear lord, his name is Rockman!

Crackrockman needs his fix, and it's up to you to get it for him!  Navigate each level, while dealing with each levels inherent delusional hazards!

Burzy

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2012, 08:31:32 pm »
we must make it now.... *twitch*
Video I made for a game I love:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdX7apGn0xM

creeperton

• View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #331 on: January 16, 2012, 01:31:16 pm »
The thing is, I don't want to glorify drug use.  I want to make a game of this type as realistic and horrifying as possible.

In any case, I seriously doubt I, or even the two of us, could make this.  We'd need spriters and tile artists to create the images, a team of writers to come up with the most messed up dialog and descriptions we can get, and, most important, we'd need a group of game mechanics creators and testers, to make a playable and compelling hack.

Chpexo

• Judge, ridicule, I don't care, waste your time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 16, 2012, 04:26:40 pm »
The thing is, I don't want to glorify drug use.  I want to make a game of this type as realistic and horrifying as possible.

In any case, I seriously doubt I, or even the two of us, could make this.  We'd need spriters and tile artists to create the images, a team of writers to come up with the most messed up dialog and descriptions we can get, and, most important, we'd need a group of game mechanics creators and testers, to make a playable and compelling hack.
Why don't you make Mega Man rid the world of the Drug Dealer's 8 Drugbots.

creeperton

• View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:09 pm »
Ah, but then we'd be propogating the belief that drug abuse can be eliminated through police or military action - ie, going after the bad guys.  If we really wanted to make something with a shred of a positive message, we'd make something where, in the end, we find that the people who actually enforce the ban on drugs profit from the sale of drugs, since it keeps them employed, fighting a never-ending war against infinitely respawning dealers and smugglers.

The way I see it, we either make something that is just mindless and horrifying, or we go in the completely opposite direction, and we make something with a bit of nuance to it.  Like, we have mega man, a freshly graduated cop/soldier/whatever, who goes out into the real world and finds that there is no real solution to the problem, except reducing the number of addicts.

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 18, 2012, 06:14:28 am »
Maybe a

Lufia 2 hardtype, with harder enemies, and different items/weapon in chests and some chest changes  :woot!:
Dragon Quest 8 easytype, with low encounter rate and X2exp and gold

creeperton

• View Profile
    • Furdo's Workspace
« Reply #335 on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:46 pm »
Maybe a Lufia 2 hardtype, with harder enemies, and different items/weapon in chests and some chest changes  :woot!:
I wouldn't mind a Lufia 2 rebalancing, where all items and abilities are useful throughout the entire game.  The way the IP system works, this is actually pretty easy to do.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 19, 2012, 01:45:51 am »
Legend of Zelda hack(s) for nes that uses the maps from bs zelda. And maybe the timer feature. Unless this has already been done that I'm not aware of?

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 19, 2012, 04:28:31 am »
Legend of Zelda hack(s) for nes that uses the maps from bs zelda. And maybe the timer feature. Unless this has already been done that I'm not aware of?

From the top of my head there is a hack here on RHDN that adds a mapping feature to the nes version. I don't know anything about a timer feature though.

Edit: here's the link to the automap hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/796/

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2012, 09:12:18 am »
From the top of my head there is a hack here on RHDN that adds a mapping feature to the nes version. I don't know anything about a timer feature though.

Edit: here's the link to the automap hack: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/796/

I knew about the automap. That's not what I meant though. I meant the maps/overworld and dungeon layouts exclusive to BS Zelda. I was under the impression they play similar to the original Zelda, but with different maps and were originally for the snes bs-x addon in japan.

KiddoCabbusses

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 19, 2012, 07:19:50 pm »
I was thinking of possibly seeing if BS Zelda could be psuedo-"downported" myself.

Besides the map and Timer/episode features, some of the things that would need to be implemented would be having the boy/girl playable characters in 8-bit form (Complete with character select?), coding in the BS Zelda-specific "harder" bosses in the latter part of the game, and even being able to modify the game so that the Wooden Sword cave and Level 9 with the Triforce Room/Ganon Battle can all be in the same place. Since the overworld map would be smaller, perhaps the HUD's markers would also need to be modified to accomodate.

Of course, I was actually hoping something akin to the opposite would be done someday - a BS Zelda hack with the original NES Zelda maps. In that case, Gleeok and Lamnolas would need to be added in, the overworld would need to be expanded and Level 9 would need to be implemented...