logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80581003 visitors

Author Topic: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.  (Read 161273 times)

NFreak

Re: Hack ideas: for those without the skill but with all the ideas.
« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2007, 07:43:23 am »
...er, I obviously don't know anything about hacking Sonic or Pulseman, but theoretically speaking, wouldn't it be easier to sort of "port" the Sonic levels and enemies to Pulseman rather than try to recreate all of Pulseman's moves in Sonic?
I didn't even know that was possible! xD

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2007, 11:06:03 am »
...er, I obviously don't know anything about hacking Sonic or Pulseman, but theoretically speaking, wouldn't it be easier to sort of "port" the Sonic levels and enemies to Pulseman rather than try to recreate all of Pulseman's moves in Sonic?

Yes, I would say so. The core gameplay code is the most difficult part of the hack. It would indeed be easier to keep all that code the same and import the levels and graphics instead.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Googie

• Conjuring a hostile cartoon takeover...
    • View Profile
    • Googie Toons
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2007, 11:38:35 am »
Aw, man.  I really don't need another big graphics project right now, but I could totally see hacking Double Dragon into The Warriors now.  How would one explain the Warrior clone as the end-boss, though?

You're right, maybe the last level can be a science lab or something. If not how about Renegade? Since the title screen has a brick wall with spray paint, and the first level has a train station where you fight just like in the movie. ^^'

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 20, 2007, 01:31:08 pm »
Yeah, Renegade would be pretty good if it was any good to actually play.

Hm, what other NES beat-em-ups were there anyway?  River City Ransom would be impossible, and I don't know much about Bad Dudes outside of certain famous quotes.
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Suzaku

• Job change!
    • View Profile
    • Studio Llama
« Reply #144 on: May 20, 2007, 08:49:13 pm »
Well, there's always Bayou Billy... >_>

*runs*

Googie

• View Profile
    • Googie Toons
« Reply #145 on: May 20, 2007, 09:47:30 pm »
Bayou Billy, the Double Dragon series, Bad Dudes, Lemme see...

How does Mighty Final Fight sound?

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 20, 2007, 10:26:33 pm »
I would like to do a hack of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for SNES (if I actually knew how to hack). Instead of having 3 separate games, make it into one massive game. I would use mostly the tile set and sprites from NG3, redesign all the levels, and add a new story. Maybe add a few new weapons/moves to top it off.

I checked the game out in Tile Molester and it seems like none of the graphics are compressed.  :thumbsup:
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 20, 2007, 11:51:15 pm »
It's possible Tecmo ported the NES code to SNES.
Though I'm judging that because I noticed that the NG1 text is completely uncompressed, while the NG3 text is compressed by DTE or whichever it was the NES used. ;)
And considering the graphics were pretty much the same, except for making a little use of the SNES' extended palette capability.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Nosuch

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2007, 01:12:40 am »
How does Mighty Final Fight sound?

Actually, Mighty Final Fight crossed my mind as well.  I don't know if it lends itself to the movie's atmosphere, but it could still be interesting as some sort of "SD Warriors" thing or something.  I kinda like the multiple character aspect, too.  Instead of just being "nameless Warrior," you could have the choice to, for example, play as Swan, Fox, or Ajax.
Well, he's just this guy, you know?

Googie

• View Profile
    • Googie Toons
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2007, 01:42:02 am »
You're right about that, I can see it now "The Warriors SD Edition"

It's late and I really should be hitting the bed, but here's another idea that'll either go yay or nay. I even went back in time to find this article.

This article always made me laugh, but me and my friends back in 1992 always said it woulda  been cool to see a crossover between Mega Man & Darkwing Duck. With the tools that are available now, this hack could be improved alot, I beat this game earlier and see where it can be improved...

1. Perfecting the Mega Man sprite so it doesn't look nasty as hell.
2. Drawing the sprites where Mega Man ducks, blocks, cut scenes etc.
3. Hacking the text'll be no prollem, the text starts at offset: 0000ABE0 of the ROM.       

Or how about an editor for the Nes Namco version of Pac-Man? 

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2007, 09:47:04 am »
how about this: the Famicom Wars, Super Famicom Wars, and MAINLY Gameboy Wars games graphically brought up to Advance Wars DS standards. They would have the same units, maps, and COs, but the graphical appearance would be a little more bearable.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:17:13 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 29, 2007, 01:55:28 pm »
Panzer, that's a really great idea!
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 29, 2007, 03:43:16 pm »
Actually (although someone else mentioned this a ways back), a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest hardtype hack might have some potental.  I wonder if it would be possible to actually make that game challenging?  I mean, it did have good music, and the graphics weren't so bad.  If someone was able to add an actual plot and make it difficult then it might be fun for a little while.

The game does have a plot, a damn good one at that.

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2007, 03:57:16 pm »
It's possible Tecmo ported the NES code to SNES.
Though I'm judging that because I noticed that the NG1 text is completely uncompressed, while the NG3 text is compressed by DTE or whichever it was the NES used. ;)
And considering the graphics were pretty much the same, except for making a little use of the SNES' extended palette capability.
I don't think it's possibl; I BELIEVE with everything I've got that they just recompiled the games for the SNES. The games seem to have the same glitches I remember on the NES!

By the way, they released another NES compilation in Japan. It had three shooters, one of which was from the TG-16, I think. The games are -exactly- like the originals, except for the graphics (which were now 16 colors instead of 4), and the music was just the same as on the NES.

You want to know what I want to see?

A Ninja Gaiden Trilogy MUSIC FIX. That goddamn trumpet RUINED the entire trilogy for me. ;_;
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 05:12:40 pm by Kitsune Sniper »
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #154 on: May 29, 2007, 06:10:28 pm »
It's always the trumpets :P
sorry, if you were in my band then you would understand

EDIT:in response to Kit's post below        |
                                                        |
                                                        V
I know what you were saying, it's an inside joke, because the actual trumpet players are always goofing off in my band.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 07:21:35 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #155 on: May 29, 2007, 07:10:04 pm »
It's always the trumpets :P

sorry, if you were in my band then you would understand
It's not so much the fact that they're trumpets, it's more about the soundtrack sucking horribly because of them. :P
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #156 on: May 29, 2007, 08:33:09 pm »
Here's an off the wall idea that would take some skill, port Pokemon to either NES or SNES perhaps via a similar RPG for those systems. Also you could try remaking other Zelda games using the ALttP engine.

Kitsune Sniper

• View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2007, 11:07:11 pm »
Here's an off the wall idea that would take some skill, port Pokemon to either NES or SNES perhaps via a similar RPG for those systems. Also you could try remaking other Zelda games using the ALttP engine.
Someone did that with one of the later Zeldas, and I think Zelda 1 was done via BS Satellaview.

But Zelda II... Sounds mighty interesting.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2007, 11:40:28 pm »
I know some of this stuff seems like "who cares" cut two moves assigned to one button apart via ASSEMBLER code. for example, in super mario world, take the cape spin ability and seperate it from the run button, assign it to L or R and have the run button be it's own thing. It would just be cool to know if you could do it. This could then apply to yoshi's tongue, and DKs roll. If possible you could execute these commands mid run or even mid flight as mario etc.

The only problem is that I can't think of many useful applications for this even if you COULD, but I'm sure there could be something created to come out of it.

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 22, 2007, 12:38:53 am »
I would like to see extensive hacks of Sonic 1, 2, 3,  Sonic & Knuckles, & Sonic CD (that stay true to the original design and game mechanics)

~ Selectable characters in every game - Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles (they can also partner with each other as well as having any combination of the 3)

~ Super Sonic in Sonic 1 - After collecting all 7 emeralds (an additional emerald would need to be added) Sonic/Tails/Knuckles can then become Super

~ Add the spin dash to Sonic 1

~ Shields from Sonic 3  added to Sonic 1 & 2

~ Super peel out from Sonic CD added into Sonic 1, 2, 3, and S&K

Just to make the 3 games more aligned....

Anyone else a 2D Sonic fanatic?