logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83952567 visitors

Author Topic: Screenshots  (Read 130378 times)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Screenshots
« Reply #840 on: October 18, 2014, 10:49:45 pm »
Woot! All the issues my translator reported are fixed. Now I can move onto my playtest and edit.

Before/after

Engrish always cracks me up.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #841 on: October 19, 2014, 05:46:10 am »
That's...actually not Engrish. "s's" is entirely acceptable as long as you don't have two esses before the apostrophe. (If you do, you omit the S after the apostrophe.)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 19, 2014, 12:14:27 pm »
I never heard that before.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #843 on: October 19, 2014, 03:00:25 pm »
It's an exception for proper nouns.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #844 on: October 19, 2014, 05:58:39 pm »
No, it applies even to regular nouns, such as 'goddesses'. "The goddess's love for her people" is perfectly fine, for instance. "The goddesses' sword" is also good English. "The goddesses's sword" is not, because you start to sound like a snake.

Isao Kronos

• Green
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 19, 2014, 06:21:02 pm »
goddesseseseseseseses

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #846 on: October 19, 2014, 08:23:34 pm »
Goddesses does not receive an additional s because it is plural.

I usually turn to two sources for Grammar answers, the first being Grammar Girl, and the second being Purdue OWL.

Grammar Girl writes:
Quote from: Grammar Girl
Is it Kansas's statute with an apostrophe s or Kansas' statute with just an apostrophe at the end?

Associated Press style ... recommends leaving off the extra s. Some of you have noticed that I tend to favor AP style, so you won't be surprised to learn that I prefer to leave off the extra s. Unfortunately, I have to admit that this isn't a hard-and-fast rule; it's a style issue. Other style books such as Fowler's Modern English Usage recommend adding the apostrophe s to almost all singular words that end with s.*

Quote from: Grammar Girl
*The exceptions according to Fowler’s are words such as Moses and Bridges that end with an s that makes an /iz/ sound, classical names such as Zeus and Venus, and Jesus. Fowler's suggests that all of these words should end with just an apostrophe (e.g., Moses' tablets).

So, likely, that says that even using the example style of Fowler's, Hercules would not receive an additional s.

In contrast, The Purdue OWL states:

Quote from: Purdue OWL
add 's to the singular form of the word (even if it ends in -s):
the owner's car
James's hat (James' hat is also acceptable. For plural, proper nouns that are possessive, use an apostrophe after the 's': "The Eggleses' presentation was good." The Eggleses are a husband and wife consultant team.)

... which simply states that both are acceptable.

Regardless, The x of y, instead y's x, is still a notable improvement for a title.

Now, whether Glories should be used in a countable manner or not would depend upon the specific meaning in context:

Quote from: Oxford Learners' Dictionary
4 [countable] a special cause for pride, respect or pleasure
The temple is one of the glories of ancient Greece.
Her long black hair is her crowning glory(= most impressive feature).

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 19, 2014, 09:54:52 pm »
In grammar school I was taught the no word ending in s gets an 's.
And regardless of the correctness of any of this stuff the bottom line is that "The Glory of Heracles" sounds much more pleasing the "Hercules's Glory".
It just sounds awkward.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #848 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »
In grammar school I was taught the no word ending in s gets an 's.

This is also what I was taught, but to be fair, English teachers tend to pick pet "rules" to teach and enforce even though there may more than one "rule" considered acceptable, and many of the grammar rules that you see people calling each other on have no basis beyond that one person one day decided that something was no longer proper, even though it was considered 100% acceptable for ages beforehand.

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 20, 2014, 05:22:35 pm »
This is also what I was taught, but to be fair, English teachers tend to pick pet "rules" to teach and enforce even though there may more than one "rule" considered acceptable, and many of the grammar rules that you see people calling each other on have no basis beyond that one person one day decided that something was no longer proper, even though it was considered 100% acceptable for ages beforehand.

I believe it. I was taught both the "never do it" rule and the "proper nouns get an exception" rule.

Either way, I agree with Vanya that "The Glory of Heracles" sounds better, and I think that's the most important part.
Mauron wuz here.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #850 on: October 20, 2014, 08:09:41 pm »
Either way, I agree with Vanya that "The Glory of Heracles" sounds better, and I think that's the most important part.

I don't think anyone's disputing that :) Though I totally dig the idea of "The Glories of <propernoun>" as the title for a game.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 20, 2014, 08:33:03 pm »
My understanding is that plural is the only time an apostrophe comes after an 's', such as romhackers' rights.

Singular items which end in an 's' still show an apostrophe as ownership along with an 's', such as Jesus's shoes.

The last time I consulted scholarly sources on the use, the best I had found was that both are acceptable so long as you stick with one convention, but that it is technically correct the way I wrote it above.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 21, 2014, 11:21:14 am »
I personally don't write "Jesus's" because I don't say "jee-zuhs-es".
If it's not correct to pronounce it, then I don't write it is one of my personal rules with the notable exception of my choice to spell it 'wierd' and not 'weird'.