logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Re: YouTube/Google Video thread  (Read 116389 times)

paul_met

• View Profile
Re: YouTube/Google Video thread
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
Keep up the great work and keep us updated on progress of your other projects as well!

I only know of 4 people hacking saturn games CyberWarriorX (Princess Crown Translation), FaustWolf (Dragon Force II Translation), knight0fdragon (SFIII Translation), & yourself and I'm extremely grateful that you all are doing so because it is my favorite system.
Thank you, but I think there are more people.

Madsiur

• FF6AE coder
    • View Profile
    • Madsiur's Lair
Re: YouTube/Google Video thread
« Reply #421 on: April 29, 2016, 09:53:35 am »
I started a series of video tutorials aimed to help beginners in hacking FF6. So far I've done one video covering the basic of YY-CHR, one covering compressed graphics (with PeerSpriteViewer) and two covering event code. I plan to continue the event tutorial and ending up eventually covering most of the ~240 event commands. I'm trying to do small edits that have a visual impact to not discourage beginners and show them we can have a nice result with an (hopefully) organized way of working.

I'll also do an xkas 101 tutorial because I see too much people still editing lengthy ASM code with a hex editor, which is counter productive if you don't know the general use opcodes by heart. I know some people prefer coding in raw hex but I think an assembler simplifies the life by removing a layer of headscratching  :D

I'm French-Canadian so I have a heavy Quebec accent and I struggle a bit to keep a good flow because of live French-English translation in my head, but overall the result is decent I think. I always end up with one or two interrogation point(s) per tutorial, e.g. something more advanced I try to explain but that I'm not 100% sure about but I consider these minor and not a huge drawback considering the rest of the tutorial.

Second event tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0pCGJDDI8
YY-CHR Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzmQsROaELk

note: OBS monitor caption was not centered in both videos :/