logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Re: YouTube/Google Video thread  (Read 119972 times)

paul_met

• View Profile
Re: YouTube/Google Video thread
« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
Keep up the great work and keep us updated on progress of your other projects as well!

I only know of 4 people hacking saturn games CyberWarriorX (Princess Crown Translation), FaustWolf (Dragon Force II Translation), knight0fdragon (SFIII Translation), & yourself and I'm extremely grateful that you all are doing so because it is my favorite system.
Thank you, but I think there are more people.

Madsiur

• FF6 enthusiast!
    • View Profile
    • Madsiur's Lair
« Reply #421 on: April 29, 2016, 09:53:35 am »
I started a series of video tutorials aimed to help beginners in hacking FF6. So far I've done one video covering the basic of YY-CHR, one covering compressed graphics (with PeerSpriteViewer) and two covering event code. I plan to continue the event tutorial and ending up eventually covering most of the ~240 event commands. I'm trying to do small edits that have a visual impact to not discourage beginners and show them we can have a nice result with an (hopefully) organized way of working.

I'll also do an xkas 101 tutorial because I see too much people still editing lengthy ASM code with a hex editor, which is counter productive if you don't know the general use opcodes by heart. I know some people prefer coding in raw hex but I think an assembler simplifies the life by removing a layer of headscratching  :D

I'm French-Canadian so I have a heavy Quebec accent and I struggle a bit to keep a good flow because of live French-English translation in my head, but overall the result is decent I think. I always end up with one or two interrogation point(s) per tutorial, e.g. something more advanced I try to explain but that I'm not 100% sure about but I consider these minor and not a huge drawback considering the rest of the tutorial.

Second event tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV0pCGJDDI8
YY-CHR Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzmQsROaELk

note: OBS monitor caption was not centered in both videos :/

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2016, 07:51:36 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWcGeCSJPvE

It's the Japanese prototype of Monster Party.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
Re: Re: YouTube/Google Video thread
« Reply #423 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:57 am »
I was bored and decided to make some live streaming of Mizzurna Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9B_PHsXcno

Pretty much shows me crack a compression and analyze the funny dictionary encoding used by the game. Tom even joins the stream at some point (ignore the Italian bits, they are just random chit chat).
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

jink640

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 03, 2016, 10:22:25 am »
I was bored and decided to make some live streaming of Mizzurna Falls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9B_PHsXcno
Do you usually stream this kind of thing? I would love to see more.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
« Reply #425 on: May 03, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »
I'm mostly experimenting stuff with streaming, now that I have a decent connection. I tried a couple dev streams with my engine in the past days; I have no idea if a hack stream could be interesting or useful, most of the discussion goes between me and Tom. I mean, most of the time I'm idling and chatting while looking at disassemblies and thinking. I guess the more interesting part is when I lay out some actual code, but again there's a gap going from disassembly -> my brain -> output on code. :P

I'll do another one, again with Mizzurna Falls, just to see if it's interesting or useful to anybody. I've seen Slowbeef do some of those, tho the approach is different (and I have a shitty mic, not gonna bother using that).

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 03, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
It is interesting at some level to see the shape of things you are going through. That this is about PS1 is good as that gets lesser coverage. Like I just noticed that libref pdf.

The format is horribly inefficient though and uh... several hours of this is quite a lot. Like, I'm better off just picking a random position of the stream and looking around for a moment than anything else really.

jink640

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 03, 2016, 07:37:32 pm »
The format is horribly inefficient though and uh... several hours of this is quite a lot. Like, I'm better off just picking a random position of the stream and looking around for a moment than anything else really.
Yeah, maybe we need some kind of romhacking highlight reel  :laugh:

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
« Reply #428 on: May 04, 2016, 10:38:13 am »
Oh well, I'll keep publishing them as soon as youtube is done with its slow ass processing. Could be interesting to those skipping around to see the highlights.

EDIT: Two new streams uploaded, a third one should be processed soon. This is the final result of a couple days hacking:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:26:45 pm by Gemini »

zhade

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03:44 am »
I made a small bit of asm to let the 2nd controller control the enemies in Secret Of Mana, heres a short video of me (as a mushboom) fighting AI-controlled Purim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQoAuGmV92I The player 1 (randi) is standing somwhere on the left, but I have made him invisible for the event in case you were wondering.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 12, 2016, 08:39:13 am »
How many changes was it at the asm level? Hijacking P1 for shroom and most other things in-place worked?

How far can you go off-screen? :P

zhade

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 13, 2016, 10:18:13 am »
How many changes was it at the asm level? Hijacking P1 for shroom and most other things in-place worked?

How far can you go off-screen? :P

The way the enemies move is actually pretty straightforward:
-They have a byte that specifies the direction they are facing,
-And another one which is their current animation ID,
The animations handle the movements, so if a monster is facing left and its current animation is 01 (Walk), the monster will play its walking animation and move towards the left.

-all enemies use the first 3 animation IDs for the same behaviours:
Idle, walk, Run  (if I recall correctly)

-There is a byte that specifies if the character is attacking or not
If the character is not attacking, it plays(or continue playing) the "current animation" every frame
Otherwise it performs an attack, each monster have different attacks and they dont use the same IDs as the "normal" animations

I expanded the rom and made a routine that gets called every frames:
It only controls the enemy in the 1st enemy "slot",
It reads P2's D-Pad, sets the monster's facing direction accordingly and set 01 (Walk) as the current animation
if the D-Pad is released, it sets the current animation to 00 (Idle)

P2's A,B,X,Y button are then read
if any button is pressed then The "attacking" flag is set to true and the AttackID is set depending on which button is pressed (A = 00, B = 01, X = 02, Y = 03)

The routine also sets a byte in the "controlled" monster's character data that specifies if the character  is control by the CPU or by a human to prevent it to read it's AI scriptps.

Its all that was needed to control any monster, altho I only tested with a few different monsters, I think it should work fine with all monsters.
Well..anyhing but bosses.. which instantly crash the game horribly when the fight starts lol

and about how far I can go off-screen.. No idea I would need to test it

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 13, 2016, 04:38:46 pm »
Little joke edit I did to Clock Tower (PSX)...
https://vine.co/v/iQEmQLbIbpL

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 16, 2016, 08:06:43 pm »
I made a video about how to use the debugging tools of FCEUX. Kind of a ROM hacking tutorial, sort of.

https://youtu.be/d2XkJQFs0OQ
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
    • Baddesthacks.net
« Reply #434 on: May 20, 2016, 08:40:19 pm »
I made a trailer awhile back for Naked Princess Peach but never got to release it.

I've now released the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkpQtHJPgw

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 28, 2016, 02:54:46 am »
Paul_Met, I recognized your avatar from a video I saw recently. Do you have any plans to release the unfinished translation for Lunar Magic School?

paul_met

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 28, 2016, 03:53:40 pm »
Paul_Met, I recognized your avatar from a video I saw recently. Do you have any plans to release the unfinished translation for Lunar Magic School?
No further plans for this game I do not have yet.

Seeeeph

• Bonne St-Jean!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 15, 2016, 06:08:43 am »
https://youtu.be/YgkSTqBExlA

:laugh:

My voiceovers dude isn't satisfied yet with his work, so this isn't final, but we are getting there!