logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

82345599 visitors

Author Topic: Translations: CTj Retranslation Begins  (Read 10222 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: CTj Retranslation Begins
« on: January 17, 2006, 10:02:36 am »
This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: Zeality

After spending several months working on extracting the Japanese script, JLukas successfully ripped it in January. It's been released here and is organized by the text box listings in the game. Accordingly, the Compendium's started its own CT Japanese Retranslation project to present a clearer version of the game (without NOA's censoring or the occasionally flubs in the official translation) to fans. Right now, it has about 6 regular volunteers for translating, and more fans with a good skill in Japanese are encouraged to assist (here). After it is complete, a special edition ROM hack may be made with the new retranslation and some other new features, such as the Coliseum or areas from the Prerelease.

Relevant Link: (http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Retranslation)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Translations: CTj Retranslation Begins
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 01:45:06 pm »
 ::)

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2006, 02:39:32 pm »

byuu

• View Profile
    • A farewell message
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 10:20:22 pm »
Christ, I'm glad I swallowed my drink before opening this page XD

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2006, 10:24:20 pm »
... wasn't that guy from RPGOne supposed to be doing this already?
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Tintenfisch

• Insect swarm 3, nothing but the best.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 10:49:44 pm »
Supposedly he has limited internet access from what I've heard.  But he did get about 93 bucks from donations to keep his internet accessable.
A traitor like you doesn't deserve a Texas double whopper, now available at burger king

Kitsune Sniper

• Complaining about mods == trolling, whee
    • View Profile
    • Foxhack.net
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2006, 12:09:22 am »
Not ChrisRPG. The other guy, the one who worked on FF6... Sky Render.
For any further project updates, please visit my website. I do not wish to belong to a site where a user has no voice.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2006, 12:22:52 am »
They're a team these days.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2006, 01:28:13 am »
Has anyone looked at the script rip? It's organized like a FAQ with a 'how to use this script' and a credits section. classy. it warms the heart to know that people still know how to make tables. inverse should be proud of his docs.  :D

D

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 02:06:59 am »
Even SoM2Freak thought Chrono Trigger's translation was OK.

For anyone who remembers SoM2Freak, that should tell you why this game so fucking does not need a retranslation.

Darkmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2006, 04:41:49 am »
Even SoM2Freak thought Chrono Trigger's translation was OK.

For anyone who remembers SoM2Freak, that should tell you why this game so fucking does not need a retranslation.

From what I understand, the reason for the retranslation, which I'm sure I could dig up somewhere on RPGOne's site, is that Ted Woolsey even admitted that they cut about half the translated text due to space limitations.  Ahh, found the interview elsewhere, and here's the exact quotes:

Quote from: Ted Woolsey

BR: What were the easiest/hardest games for you to translate? Why?

TW: Mystic Quest was probably the easiest, due to the memory configuration. Chrono Trigger was probably the hardest, owing to time constraints and multiple characters that said slightly different things. Try translating a couple of thousand pages in a month or so (then having to go back and toss out 50% due to memory limitations)...it isn't all its cracked up to be!

So, that would be the reason for multiple people trying to retranslate the game.   Either way, I doubt that a release on either group is coming anytime soon.  I'm still curious as to whether there's actually anything of note that got cut however.  I'll probably give the patch a whirl whenever the thing comes out. 

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2006, 06:05:45 am »
I hate to say it but it'll probably come out like FF6, in between ten text boxes of terrible writing there will be one text box with something that didn't make it to the English release... and profanity.

CT didn't even have a features cut (Unlike FF6, where they took out controller customization but left in the damn useless multiplayer mode...)

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2006, 04:12:06 pm »
HEY! That Multiplayer mode wasn't useless! Some friends and I had a lot of fun with that thing! And then of course...there's Zbattle.net...
"I have come back from the dead, and am now Red Pison"

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 04:43:16 pm »

From what I understand, the reason for the retranslation, which I'm sure I could dig up somewhere on RPGOne's site, is that Ted Woolsey even admitted that they cut about half the translated text due to space limitations.  Ahh, found the interview elsewhere, and here's the exact quotes:

Quote from: Ted Woolsey

BR: What were the easiest/hardest games for you to translate? Why?

TW: Mystic Quest was probably the easiest, due to the memory configuration. Chrono Trigger was probably the hardest, owing to time constraints and multiple characters that said slightly different things. Try translating a couple of thousand pages in a month or so (then having to go back and toss out 50% due to memory limitations)...it isn't all its cracked up to be!

So, that would be the reason for multiple people trying to retranslate the game.   Either way, I doubt that a release on either group is coming anytime soon.  I'm still curious as to whether there's actually anything of note that got cut however.  I'll probably give the patch a whirl whenever the thing comes out. 

This isn't even really a legitimate reason. I actually had a similar problem with Gun Hazard - the script, when rebuilt, took up roughly twice as much space as was available in the game. So began a lengthy process of clipping, pruning, rewriting and repolishing; trimming the fat, if you will. The game came out much better for it. Just because 50% of the text is removed doesn't mean that 50% of the content, or 50% of the meaning is removed.

Grave Wisdom

• The Gaming Sage
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 05:16:54 pm »
I agree with Gideon Zhi here. Less text doesn't always mean less story. Although, it's possible some details that may mean something to somebody were cut. But, I doubt it's all that much.
"I have come back from the dead, and am now Red Pison"

(wraith)

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2006, 05:46:35 am »
And besides, how large was the CT ROM (originally)? Does the team think they are magically going to scrunch twice as much text back in? Even if you added beefier compression or other space-saving techniques, I have doubts that there still wouldn't be sacrifices made to the content.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2006, 09:11:08 am »
That's not a problem.  You can just expand the ROM.  It was only 32megs I think.  They can expand it to 48megs.  They will of course have to used some tricky expansion like all the other games bigger than 32megs, but it can be done with the likes of Lunar Expand.  Then just point some of the text blocks to the new space.

This isn't all quite as easy as I make it sound, however it can be done.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

D

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2006, 04:09:16 pm »
One word: precision.

If you can remove something without changing the meaning or introducing confusion, you probably should.

Dragonsbrethren

• View Profile
    • Dragonsbrethren Industries
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2006, 04:21:25 pm »
I have doubts any of you played through Sky Render's FF6 translation, as I said up there had he let that guy on the forums there rewrite the script it probably would've been fun to play through again and notice what was omitted, it's a painful process to do that as the translation is now (I don't blame Sky Render for bad writing, as you can probably guess from how I word my post I'm a terrible writer as well, I do blame him for thinking his translation is somehow better for it)

Another thing, he picked a terrible dialog font, I hated the gigantic font all SNES RPGs felt the need to use but the one he's using is too small to read a good distance away from an old TV, which is what I play my SNES games on. I could forgive that font in the menu, but not the dialog.

D

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2006, 04:55:51 pm »
*cough*

I beat the fucking thing when it was released. Remember?

My negative review of the retranslation is the one famously hated by the RPGOne forum lackeys.