logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Conker's High Rule Tail  (Read 2876 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Conker's High Rule Tail
« on: March 04, 2017, 11:36:43 pm »

Update By: Seeeeph

Are you ready ...

to go on an epic spoof adventure?

The time is now.

After a decade of work, the ALttP romhacking dreamteam (SePH, PuzzleDude, Euclid, Conn, Erockbrox, Trovsky, etc.) proudly presents: the Conker's High Rule Tail, a complete overhaul of Zelda3, which essentially changes a Zelda game into a Conker game.

What started out as a spiritual sequel to Parallel Worlds, first named Parallel Universes, ended in a brand new Conker universe. The game includes brand new overworlds and dungeons, which are trying to mimic some of the movie and other game memes, and thus their look was altered radically (both editing and gfx wise) if compared to what their base was. Sprites, object and items also got an extensive overhaul.

Furthermore, the game uses tons of new astonishing ASM, such as brand new Menu (Smartphone), Hud, brand new items, never before seen in a Zelda/Conker game, and the HDMA effects (weed effect, underwater, desert heat, super speed syringe effect, beer effect etc), which was a result of many sleepless nights by the talented ASM team.

Equipped with 120 new MSU-1 songs and complete GFX, ASM, dungeon and overworld overhauls, completely redrawn sprites, and with tons of bad humor and movie/other videogame references, this game was aiming to be the most extensive Z3 hack up to date.

On the side note: extensive beta testing by at least 20 people, 3 pre-releases, quality control, dungeon design control, debug control, difficulty control should ensure that the game can be finished by anyone (veterans or beginners).

Enjoy this epic release.

-Promo Video
-MSU-1 audio and video files (1.2GB total size)
-Password for MSU-1 files: !conkermsu1!
-MSU-1 setup info (Bsnes, Higan, SD2SNES)
-MSU-1 now also possible on snes9x by Qwertymodo: setup is the same as on SD2SNES, even no additional manifest files needed here (recommended to use)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Erockbrox

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Conker's High Rule Tail
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 06:56:43 am »
Just to let everyone reading this know, I spent the last 8 years of my life working on this project. Please download it and give it a try. I hope you enjoy the game.

Googie

• eeee!
    • View Profile
    • Googie Toons
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 10:11:59 am »
When I saw this released I said to myself I gotta try this out! You can tell alotta work was put into this hack, thanks to everyone who made this hack possible.  :thumbsup:
The ROM Hacking community's cartoonist...

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 11:30:08 am »
Just to let everyone reading this know, I spent the last 8 years of my life working on this project. Please download it and give it a try. I hope you enjoy the game.
Are you credited on the project page with another alias?

I see you in the readme. My, a lot of people worked on this!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 12:16:04 pm by nesrocks »

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 12:19:05 pm »
Can't seem to get the msu files working correctly.  I'm using Higan, and when I try to overwright the manifest, i can't even select SNES games anymore.

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 05:18:28 pm »
Thank you Googie-sama! It has been a long run, but thank god it's finally done! ;)

Can't seem to get the msu files working correctly.  I'm using Higan, and when I try to overwright the manifest, i can't even select SNES games anymore.

I would have to ask either Conn or Qwertymodo about this, I was personally using bsnes v0.70 to play this which seems the most stable, so we probably overlooked other emulators such as higan.

I've also updated the credits to ten people and awaiting a submission reviewer to accept the changes.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 05:38:51 pm »
For higan, it could be a few things.  First of all, the name of the folder containing the files must end in ".sfc".  Second, if you're using the manifest file, you need to go into the options, Advanced tab, and uncheck "Ignore manifest files".

Or, if none of that works, the easiest, most foolproof way to make it work is to delete the manifest and rename the files to higan's default names, i.e.

Code: [Select]
program.rom (.sfc file)
save.ram (.srm file)
msu1.rom (.msu file)
track-1.pcm
track-2.pcm
track-#.pcm

A quick and easy way to rename all of the .pcm files is with this batch script:

Code: [Select]
@ECHO OFF
SETLOCAL EnableDelayedExpansion

FOR /R %%P IN (*.pcm) DO (
  SET "file=%%~nxP"
  CALL SET "end=%%file:*-=-%%"
  CALL SET "track=track!end!"
  REN !file! !track!
)

Copy that into a text file, save as rename.bat, put it into your game folder and run it.

higan is the most flexible of all of the options, but with more flexibility comes more ways for something to go wrong :P

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 06:50:07 pm »
Is there supposed to be an extra key somewhere in Phony Substation? I'm looking around for a key to get passed one of the locked key doors, and so far, no bueno.

Erockbrox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »
Is there supposed to be an extra key somewhere in Phony Substation? I'm looking around for a key to get passed one of the locked key doors, and so far, no bueno.

To help you find chests you need to find the compass. Once you have the compass it will make a chime sound each time you enter a dungeon room if there is a chest in the room. Note that sometimes chests are hidden and to make chests appear you may need to defeat all of the enemies in a particular room.

Con

• View Profile
    • The BS Zelda Homepage
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »

The reason why the bml doesn't work is that there is a space after track 102.

Here's a self explanatory image what you need to do to make it work (delete the space after track 102 at the very bottom (there are two times track 102 listed (for compatibility reasons), take the one at the end). BML is unfortunately quite strict.

https://picload.org/image/rloaaiaa/image2.jpg

SePH will surely update the bml sometime soon.

I also attached the working bml in this forum:
https://www.zeldix.net/t1337-conker-s-high-rule-tail-v1-1-2#19803

at the very end (I do not know how to attach files in this forum, so you can use that if you can't edit the bml yourself).

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:05:07 pm by Con »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2017, 08:28:24 pm »
I can't get the MSU files to download at all, but that's probably not your fault, dropbox just hates me for some reason.
I started the game a little bit ago and named my character Assfuk, since Assface was too long, loving the game so far.
Sleepy's Tune of the Week: Jet Set Radio - Funky Radio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oQC1FuWB10B|
Project List: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ynbbylfh4t4jjm/11_Projects.html?dl=0

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2017, 08:30:00 pm »
Congratulations on your release!  This is an impressive achievement!  :beer:  Can't wait to play it!

EDIT: Glad to see it works on SD2SNES, I'm going to given it a go tonight!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 08:36:34 pm by Grimlock »
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2017, 08:39:14 pm »
@ SleepyFist: I'll add an alternate link for the msu-1 pack when I have some free time!

@Grimlock: Thanks and congrats on your recent hack release too, which I'll probably give a try soon (now that I have more time to play games rather then making them) :)

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2017, 08:48:34 pm »
I can't get the MSU files to download at all, but that's probably not your fault, dropbox just hates me for some reason.
I started the game a little bit ago and named my character Assfuk, since Assface was too long, loving the game so far.

Wait, the audio pack is being hosted on Dropbox?  That's not going to end well...  They have bandwidth quotas and will lock large files if they get too much traffic.  You should really be using a real file host like Mega or MediaFire.  Or at the very least, Google Drive doesn't have that issue.

Edit: Should've refreshed before posting...

@ SleepyFist: I'll add an alternate link for the msu-1 pack when I have some free time!

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:38 pm »
It's already hosted on google drive actually.  :P

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2017, 09:28:05 pm »
It's already hosted on google drive actually.  :P
Yep, I was looking directly at it and still got the wrong name ::).
Sleepy's Tune of the Week: Jet Set Radio - Funky Radio - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oQC1FuWB10B|
Project List: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ynbbylfh4t4jjm/11_Projects.html?dl=0

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2017, 09:48:13 pm »
As you can tell, I didn't actually try the download link (and why would I, I'm the one who made the files :P)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2017, 10:00:44 pm »
Just want to say, I tried this when it first came out a month or two ago and, despite the toilet humor (which is honestly a stylistic choice in this case, not my bag but whatev) it's really well done! I played up through
Spoiler:
the spencer mansion
and you really nailed the difficulty curve. That's honestly the most impressive thing for me; as pretty and in-depth as any hack can be (and it's certainly all of those things) difficulty is something that I find a lot of hackers have a very difficult time nailing. Bravo! If anyone's immediately put off by the humor I'd still urge them to give this a try; it's *really* well done.

Seeeeph

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2017, 10:40:28 pm »
Thanks for your honest comments!

I know this game isn't for everybody, the original Conker game on the N64 wasn't either; that didn't stopped me from releasing it in my own intended way!  :angel:

I've received so much help from many individuals over the years working on this, beta tested the game several times to ensure it could be enjoyable by both hardcore and normal players. The bosses difficulty selection plays a great role in that. People wanting a challenge, can get just that and people who want to breeze through the game can also do so. We received so much harsh criticism when we released Parallel Worlds a decade ago that this hack difficulty had to be adjusted thoroughly to be enjoyable by as many people as possible! :-)

Edit:
For those curious about the whole development over the years, I've just unlocked all my youtube videos...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWybPhypZ7meIPR1lO_zESA/videos

Some spoilers in there, don't tell me you haven't been warned!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:40:13 pm by Seeeeph »

UncleDolan

• View Profile
sd2snes compatiblity?
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2017, 10:25:47 am »
hello,
im using sd2snes firmware 1.7d and it works very well for until i open the first chest then the game hangs up, anyone got the same issue or know something i can do?
anyway the game looks real nice and i have to say thanks and respect for the good work, keep it on! 😊