logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Gets the Upgrade It Deserves  (Read 1912 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Gets the Upgrade It Deserves
« on: February 28, 2017, 03:27:42 am »

Update By: Joseph Lithius

A lot of people feel that Mega Man 7 is one of the best entries into the series... and why wouldn't they?  It's very clear that the game had a lot of love put into it.  Little things, such as references to the older games or the fluid and expressive animations of the characters... to bigger things such as the sheer volume and quality of secrets make this game a wonderful stable of the classic series!  However, nothing is perfect... and even Mega Man 7 has its flaws.

One day in late January of 2017, one particular fan got an idea to try and finally fix some of the more glaring flaws they'd experienced.  However, they had little knowledge as to how to actually do it.  Luckily, the Romhacking.net community is full of awesome, talented, and friendly people and one person in particular was ready, willing, and able to give them a major helping hand.

"Mega Man 7 Refit" is the work of two very dedicated Mega Man 7 fans which aims to make the game fall a bit more in line with the previous titles in terms of gameplay and physics.  It also makes gameplay a bit more fluid and even adds a little touch of retro style with its altered fonts.

If you've been looking for a reason to replay the game, this may be what you've been looking for!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man 7 Gets the Upgrade It Deserves
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 04:09:23 am »
Why does both this news article and the project's page read like an advertisement ?

assassin

• View Profile
    • My Barren Webpage
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:42:27 am »
Why ask why?  Try Bud Dry.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
Maybe it's time I finally play this game.  :thumbsup:

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »
If you can some helpful suggestions:

-The biggest problem with this game is; (though this might not be possible,but if you can,) make the game more zoom out than it is, like in the nes games.

-Slightly alter Mega Mans sprite to make him slightly more skinnier and smaller, while keeping the serious nostalgic Snes 7 look. Doing the same with the enemies, give some classic enemies from the nes, more high quality, slightly refined, skinnier, smaller looks, like the old, but made new with SNES sprites. (This may be hard to accomplish).
**A perfect example of this is batton, from the nes series made anew with 16bits sprites in MegaMan X
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/VMXbEz9mGQs/hqdefault.jpg

-Replace the health bars with the classic ones from the nes series.

-Make the weapon menu more classic and refined, being more zoomed out like the nes.

-Replace the boss menu(stage select) with a slightly more classic one.

-Make the slide and jump more smoother, like the nes ones.

-Give some stage areas more space, and make the boss rooms slightly more bigger.

-Make Burst Man and Junk Man more harder (and any other ones that are easy, I can't recall).

**Mega Man 7 is notorious for having one of the hardest final boss in video game history. Don't nerf Wily. Just make him slightly more fair to avoid. Slightly. Ironically the stages are the easiest in the entire franchise probably. Add more enemies to stages to slightly increase the difficulty.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:30:59 pm by johnm »

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 05:50:07 pm »
-suggestions-

*Battery Backed Saving, codes are annoying and Capcom only did it because they were too cheap at the time.

*Switch to Rush Items via L & R buttons, this always bugged me, the weapons can be scrolled through, why not the items?

*Cut-Scene/dialog skip via start button, this is one game I find myself unconsciously jamming the start button trying to just 'get to the game already'.

*All eight robot masters available at start, I think there's even a code for this one.

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 05:57:08 pm »
-suggestions-

*Battery Backed Saving, codes are annoying and Capcom only did it because they were too cheap at the time.

*Switch to Rush Items via L & R buttons, this always bugged me, the weapons can be scrolled through, why not the items?

*Cut-Scene/dialog skip via start button, this is one game I find myself unconsciously jamming the start button trying to just 'get to the game already'.

*All eight robot masters available at start, I think there's even a code for this one.

Good point with the Rush L and R and cut-scene skip, but the save/load feature really isn't optional if you use an emulator and is more of a classic feature, and good point with the eight robot masters, but then how would you fight the mid bosses that appear after the first four are defeated, unless they're made into additional Wily stages.

Found it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLtNHcM4xM

Probably when four random masters are defeated it triggers the mid boss stage.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 06:10:46 pm by johnm »

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 06:19:53 pm »

Good point with the Rush L and R and cut-scene skip, but the save/load feature really isn't optional if you use an emulator and is more of a classic feature, and good point with the eight robot masters, but then how would you fight the mid bosses that appear after the first four are defeated, unless they're made into additional Wily stages.

Found it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onLtNHcM4xM

Oh, I like to play on flash carts (powerpak, everdrive) so a save feature would be nice, however I recognize that I'm probably in the minority in that respect, therefore it probably isn't needed. 

I figured the mid-boss stage at the robot museum would show up after four robot masters are defeated, no matter which ones they are.  I thought it would fit in with the spirit of this hack as the previous games started with all Robot Masters available.

I actually started playing MM7 again after a while and realized that we still need to press down 'B' in order to slide while it seems like 'X' and 'A' don't do anything.  I think it would be a nice feature to assign 'slide' to one of them.

I'm very thankful someone is giving MM7 some attention

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:01 pm »
Oh, I like to play on flash carts (powerpak, everdrive) so a save feature would be nice, however I recognize that I'm probably in the minority in that respect, therefore it probably isn't needed. 

I figured the mid-boss stage at the robot museum would show up after four robot masters are defeated, no matter which ones they are.  I thought it would fit in with the spirit of this hack as the previous games started with all Robot Masters available.

I actually started playing MM7 again after a while and realized that we still need to press down 'B' in order to slide while it seems like 'X' and 'A' don't do anything.  I think it would be a nice feature to assign 'slide' to one of them.

I'm very thankful someone is giving MM7 some attention

Yeah its about time XD. I mean theres Rockman 7 FC, but its in japanese, which sucks. Can you try the codes and tell me if the museum fight pops up. If u want I mean

gauchomax

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:06:51 pm »
The only way to ever fix MM7 would be to zoom it out, but that would a massive headache as all sprites would have to be rescaled.

Nice patch though  :thumbsup:

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 10:14:23 pm »
Yeah its about time XD. I mean theres Rockman 7 FC, but its in japanese, which sucks. Can you try the codes and tell me if the museum fight pops up. If u want I mean

I'm pretty sure it does, last time I played it like that was years ago.  It certainly wasn't game-breaking.  I'll check it out anyway when I get the time now that I've rediscovered MM7

<edit>

Replayed,  appears my memory was off.  It actually skips the intro level and the robot museum mid-level.  However, it does make it more like the NES MegaMan games due to having all 8 Robot Masters available at the start and gets right to the game instead of that slow intro level with all the dialog that you can't skip through

I guess story-wise it means that you don't get introduced to Bass/Forte (pretending to be good) or get to see how Wily got broken out of jail, then skipping the museum stage you don't get to see some NES Robot Masters rendered in MM7-style sprites, and you don't see Wily stealing GutsMan

« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 02:12:54 pm by zstandig »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 12:42:15 am »
Can we have "Dr. Willy" fixed?
Mega Man holding out his buster while charged looks a bit goofy.
I have a blog and forums. Ask me for details. Contributors are welcome and highly encouraged!

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:59 am »
Megaman 7 is a Staple of the MM series, not a Stable.

Giga571

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 05:25:37 am »
If you want to make the Robot Masters harder, you could do what RM7FC did and remove the special weakness animations.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:52:26 am »
If you can some helpful suggestions:

-The biggest problem with this game is; [...] make the game more zoom out than it is, like in the nes games.
I agree but that's basically asking for a brand new game, and this has already been done with a fan-made "Rockman 7 FC" game for Windows/PC.

-Slightly alter Mega Mans sprite to make him slightly more skinnier and smaller, while keeping the serious nostalgic Snes 7 look. Doing the same with the enemies, give some classic enemies from the nes, more high quality, slightly refined, skinnier, smaller looks, like the old, but made new with SNES sprites. (This may be hard to accomplish).
Basically another wording of your 1st point.

-Replace the health bars with the classic ones from the nes series.

-Make the weapon menu more classic and refined, being more zoomed out like the nes.

-Replace the boss menu(stage select) with a slightly more classic one.

-Make the slide and jump more smoother, like the nes ones.

-Give some stage areas more space, and make the boss rooms slightly more bigger.

-Make Burst Man and Junk Man more harder (and any other ones that are easy, I can't recall).
I disagree with all those points and I don't consider anything in these regards needs to be fixed. Junk and Burst man are already among the hardest master robots of the game (only Slash Man and Shadow Man are harder).
**Mega Man 7 is notorious for having one of the hardest final boss in video game history. Don't nerf Wily. Just make him slightly more fair to avoid
Agreed.

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 12:24:29 pm »
Glad to hear we agree on one point, that being Wily. The other points I assumed you would agree on, seeing that you've changed some things to the nes in the refit. I thought it would be nice, but a stretch( no puns intended) for the game to have been re scaled to show that it could demonstrate the name of the hack. The other reason I wanted a lot of the nes content but remade into neater Snes sprites, was also because Rockman FC is incomplete missing full screen compatibility and is not in english, but I also know these things can be hard and take time. We may not agree on Burst man being easy, but you gotta admit that some of the stages are easily the easiest in the series.

Can at least some of the things some of us seem to agree on, be implemented such as the Rush L and R scroll, the eight robot masters at the start of the game, which means the intro and mid section would have to be rearranged and added, and cutscene skip with the start button. Thanks
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 04:51:04 pm by johnm »

Yave

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 07:41:08 pm »
Great patch, I love this! Because I very like Mega Man font.
Now I will play this game, I played the "FC" version before.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 02:06:59 am »
We may not agree on Burst man being easy, but you gotta admit that some of the stages are easily the easiest in the series.
Ah, you meant the stages ? I though you meant the bosses. Yeah, in MM7 pretty much all stages are easy, but this is also the case for 6 NES games where, to be honnest, only the bosses are a major challenge in my opinion (except maybe in the original Mega Man game).

Rockman FC [...] is not in english
Well, considering the story plays a very minor role in the game (Wily escaped from prison and wants to rule the world - let's fight him) I don't consider that to be a problem. Especially if you played Mega Man 7 before.

but a stretch [...] for the game to have been re scaled to show that it could demonstrate the name of the hack.
Yes, I agree the hack's title is pretentious compared to what the hack seems to actually do (hence my 1st comment).

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 05:55:49 pm »
Yeah. Also you might wonna look into the japanese versioin which has a conversation between Roll or Auto randomly when getting the boss's weapon. But that's probably gonna require a translator for the dialogue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Z18r2DoMo

Bregalad

• View Profile