logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78651566 visitors

Author Topic: Best SNES emulator for PSP?  (Read 52390 times)

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
Best SNES emulator for PSP?
« on: January 18, 2013, 05:47:38 pm »
I have an ever-so-slightly busted PSP-1000 (the D-Pad sticks a little in certain directions) and so I've made it my CFW guinea pig.

I've tried Snes9x TYL 0.4.2, and while it performs pretty well, the sound glitches a little more often than I'd like and it lags like hell when running any sort of HDMA effect. Is this the best SNES emulation on PSP has to offer, or am I missing something? (Yes, BTW, I'm running it in PSP-Accelerated Accurate mode; Approximate caused horrible graphical glitches.)
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Best SNES emulator for PSP?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 06:04:55 pm »
If there's actually an SNES emulator that runs most games well, I'd sure as hell like to know. I've tried at least half a dozen versions over the years, and most of them break with simple old Actraiser. T_T

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 06:13:24 pm »
Seconded. I've never experienced anything but grief when it comes to SNES emu's on the PSP. Though Snes9x on my XP machine just about a year ago finally started producing super-accurate emulation, so perhaps we might have to wait until somebody gets it stuck in their craw to port these changes to a PSP version.

From what I understand, the Snes9x team isn't working on the PSP version at all.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 07:31:25 pm »
About as good as it gets is SNES9x TYL mecm.  It isn't perfect, a lot of stuff requires a frameskip of 1, but it is passable.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 09:10:51 pm »
I've tried Snes9x TYL 0.4.2, and while it performs pretty well, the sound glitches a little more often than I'd like and it lags like hell when running any sort of HDMA effect. Is this the best SNES emulation on PSP has to offer, or am I missing something? (Yes, BTW, I'm running it in PSP-Accelerated Accurate mode; Approximate caused horrible graphical glitches.)

I'm afraid to say that you're already using the best SNES emulator the PSP has to offer.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:57 pm »
Seriously, a couple of the mecm/test versions are a bit improved over the base TYL version.  Not a ton, but better than nothing.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 09:46:31 pm »
because from what i've experienced in the PSP hacking scene i believe those versions you've picked up uses as it's called PSP media engine aka mecm, iirc theres a version i've spotted that doesn't uses the "media engine" part of the emulator ;) since i would like to contribute and play my part here ya go:

Snes9XTYLmecm [v0.4.2] [ADHOC] (MZ Custom EBOOT): http://www.mediafire.com/?fkoxroelf5v9749

& or here: SNES9X EUPHORIA [R5 B3 - NoME v0.2]
http://www.mediafire.com/?kbbcevx6sal0bk4

for a clearer explanation read exactly what No media engine is: *"NoME v0.2" is the "No Media Engine Version", which makes this emu slightly faster than the reg. ver. of SNES9x Euphoria, and thus more preferred (by myself for sure). Not sure if there are any drawbacks to this vers. of the Euphoria R5 B3 emu. The EBOOT graphics are the same as the one above, so no reason for another pic.

cobaltex

• View Profile
    • anime4psp
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 11:56:38 pm »
I'd like to point out that the mecm versions are designed to make use of the additional 32MB of ram the 2000/3000/go models have and that the mecm will be disabled if you're playing on a model 1000. Also note that some games (mario rpg) constantly update the sram, so you'll want to disable automatic sram update, or you'll have to deal with the game pausing every 1 second to update the sram.

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:21:07 pm »
Yeah, the Euphoria emulator is a bit more playable. Thanks.
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

DSwizzy145

• Super Famicom Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Super Famicom Game List A-C + SNES Game List
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 03:45:45 pm »
Yeah, the Euphoria emulator is a bit more playable. Thanks.
No problem buddy! ;)