logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71475362 visitors

Author Topic: SM's Top 100 GameBoy/GameBoy Color Games of All Time  (Read 1010 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
SM's Top 100 GameBoy/GameBoy Color Games of All Time
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:35:03 am »
I'm still fairly new here, so I'm not sure if this kind of thread is fair game, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be, and given that this community is dedicated to pixel based retro gaming I have a hunch there will be people who will really enjoy this. 

Who the hell am I? Some background:
Among other things, I'm an amateur gaming journalist with a specific aim at retro gaming. For the past several years, I've been writing articles on my blog about two of my favorite consoles of all time: The NES/Famicom and the GameBoy/GameBoy Color. Last year, I wrote an extensive top 100 NES/Famicom editorial with the aim of creating the best such list anywhere, complete with literally hundreds of screenshots, logical reasoning behind the picks and interesting facts. For the effort, it was hosted on a number of retro gaming sites including retrowaretv, famicom world, racketboy and I even had an hour audio interview about it with JewWario. 

Since then, I've decided to focus on my other great love of retro gaming, the classic GameBoy. For the past few months I've been working on:

This list is dedicated to the top 100 GameBoy and GameBoy Color games released between 1989 to 2002. It contains both original black-and-white and color titles. Placement was deemed after several hundred candidates that been evaluated in a number of ways including how well each holds up today in terms of playability and enjoyment.

Each part is composed of ten games and is the result of dozens of hours writing, researching, screen capturing and of course, playing so I write from a fresh mind and not based on nostalgia. 

Here's the first ten games, #100 - 91. Enjoy!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/top-100-gameboy-games-100-91/

Moving on from there, here's the next ten games, #90 - 81!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/top-100-gameboy-games-90-81/

Then Part 3, #80-71!

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2012/10/25/top-100-gameboy-games-80-71/

And just out today, time for part 4.

http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/top-100-gameboy-games-70-61-2/

Wordpress has made some internal changes lately, so I've tried to integrate some new features. Let me know if anything is broken, as well as any spelling errors I've overlooked.

I've also added a poll at the end where you the reader can voice your opinion on which of these is your favorite pick.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and discuss!

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: SM's Top 100 GameBoy/GameBoy Color Games of All Time
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:49:32 am »
I like that it's not just a list but that there is a nice write-up for each game too.

So far 3 games I owned (Star Trek, Battle Arena Toshinden, DKL), but none of my favourites yet. Though back then I found the Star Trek game pretty meh :P

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 08:55:33 am »
Yeah, lists with only the names are pretty boring, but this is quite interesting.

[...], Capcom had “lost the source code” for the games, [...]

Oh Capcom, you never cease to amaze me.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:00 am »
Nice to have new members always.   :beer:

given that this community is dedicated to pixel based retro gaming

This community is not dedicated to pixel based retro gaming.  This community is primarily dedicated to hacking video games to do things they weren't originally meant to do.  That can be changing the game's language or its graphics or its level designs, etc.  As a side effect of that, often the games being hacked are older "retro" era games.  There are various reasons for this, from nostalgia, to proliferation of tools for such era games, and such.  I just want that to be in your head because if you go digging  through the archives you will find hacks for newer games as well as old ones.  That being said, this community is very open to discussion concerning old games, and we often talk about them.  But we talk just as often about current gaming, games on the horizon, and the future of gaming in general.

I'll check out your list when I have more time.

In the spirit of this thread, my own personal favorite Game Boy game is Gargoyle's Quest followed closely by Trip World.  My favorite Game Boy Color game is of course Shantae except not really because it's The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 02:14:11 pm »
Oh I know what this place is all about, and you're right of course. I've been a lurker here grabbing your ips patches for more than a decade. I guess I just associate romhacking.net with amazing rom hacks of retro games and therefore associate ti with retro games.   

What I tried to do here with this list was write the best such editorial anywhere. There are lots of top 10s, and even a few top 100s, but you won't find anything like what I write. As mentioned, most people write only a list of titles and give no reasoning for their choices. Others say things like "because I like the graphics" or some other bullshit like that. My aim is an opinionated guide that deconstructs the entire library as a whole and filters out the crap, leaving the purest and most most retro gaming experiences available today. With such an extensive library across the DMG and GBC, that's no easy task.

Of course, the best titles are till yet to come. I've only posted up to #61 so far, so don't be too concerned if your favorites haven't shown up yet. I know the GB/GBC library like the back of my hand. Chances are if it's good, my opinionated guide will cover it somewhere.   

Of course, this isn't an absolute list. Opinions vary and others will disagree with my placement, if not the picks themselves. I'm not saying everyone should agree with me, I'm merely saying that my opinions aren't baseless.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »
but you won't find anything like what I write

You have done an admiral job of putting together your list with juicy information and nice screenshots.  Although, HG101 does this sort of thing all the time, and your list kind of reminds me of what they do.  Not to knock your efforts though, I am impressed with the amount of work you've put into the project.  I will be reading your list next week when I have more time.  It's good to see such a strong labor of love though!  Extra fun for me, as I have been playing Game Boy (and its successors) since 1989, so I get off on the nostalgia for sure.

Don't stop till you hit number 1.   8)

I'm merely saying that my opinions aren't baseless.

And in that manner you're already doing better than 90% of the "best games ever" articles out there.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 05:01:18 pm »
I'm really liking this.  I'm predisposed to these lists to begin with, but it's always much better with the descriptions of why I should care.  Keep it up!
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36