logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83997775 visitors

Author Topic: Less hotlink protection for readme files?  (Read 1132 times)

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Less hotlink protection for readme files?
« on: August 16, 2012, 11:04:29 pm »
I was reading the news article about the release of the Final Fantasy V Ancient Cave hack.  I thought it looked interesting, so I looked at the Readme file.  Since it was in Japanese, I copy-pasted the URL into Google Translate.
Only problem is, this site has such extensive hotlink protection that Google just spat out romhacking.net's "403 Forbidden" page.

Do we really need hotlink protection for the readme files?
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Less hotlink protection for readme files?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:56 pm »
No, the readmes themselves aren't problematic. It's there only as side effect of a transitional state we're in. readme files are not added to the site download manager (I was considering removing them at the time as they duplicate what's already in the archive.) and are thus not easily differentiable for alternate handling right now. One of these days I'll likely add readmes and images to the manager and reconfigure access to everything. In general I prefer locking things down as a better solution to bandwidth management compared to managing number of connections per IP and limited bandwidth per connection. It usually works out better for the server load that way as well.

The good news is our bandwidth limit was upped very recently. So, there's a good chance things will be relaxed soon regardless of the above. :)

Fun Fact:
I occasionally disable most hotlinking protection on the site sometimes for various reasons. The bandwidth has literally DOUBLED over the course of a month on some occasions! What is the rest of the Internet up to with all our data? :P
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:38:59 pm »
oh, that site doesn’t have protection up today? TIME TO RECURSIVE WGET THAT NOISE
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:13:22 pm »
TIME TO RECURSIVE WGET THAT NOISE

Hey, I get that, so it's funny!

It really does seem weird that bandwidth goes that high up... Like people just realize HEY! I DON'T NEED TO HOST THIS ON MY SITE NOW OR HAVE PEOPLE LEAVE MY SITE SO LET ME LINK TO THAT ZIP FILE* NOW

*or txt file
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.