logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71216092 visitors

Author Topic: Easiest and hardest RPG you've ever played?  (Read 10328 times)

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Easiest and hardest RPG you've ever played?
« on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, I was just interested in hearing your stories about the easiest and hardest RPG's you've ever played. :)

For me, the easiest would probably be Silva Saga II, since you have 3 separate parties and 2 of them automatically fully heal after every single battle. It made the game pretty much a breeze and within 2 days I had finished it.

Hardest would have to be Final Fantasy V because I BARELY made use of any strategies and as a result spend the last part of the game getting chewed to death (the last boss was especially nasty, ugh...). That's what I get for rushing the game!

How about you?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: Easiest and hardest RPG you've ever played?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 07:38:32 pm »
Dunno about easiest, I've played so many. Maybe Rhapsody.

But it took me a year and a half and a dozen or so restarts to get through Final Fantasy Legend 2. So.

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 07:52:07 pm »
But it took me a year and a half and a dozen or so restarts to get through Final Fantasy Legend 2. So.
Oh, Final Fantasy Legend 2! I actually played the DS remake last year or so, though I completely forgot about it. I'm not sure if they tweaked the difficulty or anything, but I remember some of the boss fights (Odin and Apollo...) being unnecessarily mean. :laugh:

mz

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:57:27 pm »
Easiest: Chrono Cross. It was impossible to die and you never needed to think to beat bosses.

Hardest: Vagrant Story. When I played (more than 10 years ago) I couldn't even understand the English it used... Also, it had an in-game manual that seemed like a huge encyclopedia back then. Maybe I'll play it again someday, now that I'm older.

Recca

• Let's have some happier endings for a change...
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 08:15:50 pm »
Same here, one of the easiest RPGs that I've played to date was also Silva Saga-II. Those mercenaries sure were incredibly powerful and the fact that they auto healed after every battle made the game even easier. Heck, I even beat the last boss with them. But hey, I'm not compaining. It sure did make beta testing for it quite easy!

As for the hardest RPG, I'll have to say 7th Saga. The first half of the game is okay, but later on you seriously have to level grind a lot when reaching a new area or the enemies there will literally cream you in one or two hits (especially if they use magic, which they often do). Even with level grinding though, you still have to use magic or items to double your attack/defense (along with speed sometimes) during not only boss fights, but also random encounters. But overall, I still think it was a great game and beatable if you're patient enough. I've found that having Lux as the lead character and Esuna or Valsu as a partner made the game a bit easier, but of course you can play and beat the game with whomever you want (just make sure to have a fighter and a mage, blocking before attacking is also useful as it increases your strength during that turn).
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 09:03:28 pm »
Easiest RPG I've played would have to be Chrono Trigger. I can't recall dying much, and even the last boss isn't that hard if you know what you're doing.

Hardest, bar none, was Final Fantasy II for the Famicom. I challenge anyone here to beat that game without cheating (by hitting yourself or using the cancel-button grinding method). It's just so goddamn frustrating that it borders on the ridiculous.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »
Not a JRPG, but Baldurs' Gate is the hardest RPG I have ever played. That game seriously kicked my ass.

I'm not really sure about easiest though. I tend to forget easy games and only remember the ball-breakingly hard ones

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:45:14 pm »
Vagrant Story is pretty tough at first, but after beating it not long ago, I'd say it gets rather easy once you figure out its kinks.  MZ you should definitely give it another go though, that game is god tier awesome.

I almost beat Baldur's Gate about two years ago, but after 40 hours I was so bored with it I quit.  I made it all the way to the actual city of Baldur's Gate though.  That's another game that is hard at first, but once you get some a decent tank and some support mages you're set.  I felt bad for quitting playing it, I would have finished it if only the story was worth a damn whatsoever.  But I felt like I had no real impetus to continue, plot-wise.

So let's see... the hardest RPG I've ever beat?  I would have to say SMT Nocturne, on normal difficulty.  It took me 50 hours and without any walkthrough or strategy guide, those fiends were really tough.  Not to mention the ball breaking dungeons.  It was a great game though, hence why I put up with the rape your face difficulty.

Easiest RPG?  The first thing that comes to mind for me is the N64 Paper Mario.  That was a fun game but it certainly wasn't challenging.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 03:22:45 am »
Easiest definitely Devil Children for GBA. It was so easy I quit translating it because it wouldn't have been worth anyone's time to actually play it. The game could be -easily- beaten with permanent emulation turbo mode on and just letting the auto battle function do its thing, including bosses.

Hardest would be Nocturne when going after Lucifer.

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 04:10:17 am »
Legacy of the Ancients (C64) is pretty hard if you try doing the mapping by yourself.  Ugh.  Fun game though.  Another hard one is Pools of Darkness for the PC (gold box game).  Man, there's some one shot kill deals in there that force you to restart many many times.

I don't know about easiest.  FF Mystic Quest?  Another fun game though.
When Reason Fails

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 08:55:36 am »
Hardest would be Nocturne when going after Lucifer.

I dunno, I still say that FFL2/SaGa 2 is harder. SMT is at least mostly fair - you have to plan and prepare, but however difficult that prep may be, so long as it's done well, you should do okay. FFL2 actually saves your RNG seed when you save your game, so if you're going after the boss whole-hog using all your best weapons and attacks, you'll get the exact same result every time. Combine this with attacks that deal major damage to your whole party ("Arsenal launched the Smasher!") and inadequate healing options... urgh.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 12:02:55 pm »
Easiest RPG would definitely be Tales of Symphonia.  Seriously.  That game was just cake.

As for hardest.. hm.. I honestly don't recall what the hardest one I've played is.  I know I had a huge number of issues in Chrono Cross but that wasn't the hardest, but I'll throw that there.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

Chpexo

• Judge, ridicule, I don't care, waste your time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 12:43:41 pm »
Mother for the famicom is the hardest I've played. There's so much grinding and most of the time you do not know where you're going since the maps are so massive.

Though a lot of early RPGs are hard...   :-\
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 12:48:46 pm by Chpexo »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »
Easiest is hard to guess but I'd say Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is really easy.

Some of the TOSE-remade Square Enix games were made much, much easier than the original game they're based on.

Hardest, bar none, was Final Fantasy II for the Famicom. I challenge anyone here to beat that game without cheating (by hitting yourself or using the cancel-button grinding method). It's just so goddamn frustrating that it borders on the ridiculous.
I second this totally.

Square711

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 01:21:52 pm »
Easiest: Wild ARMs 2. Pretty much every regular enemy would die in a single hit... and the bosses didn't take much more than that, either.

Hardest: Final Fantasy II. I used more savestates to get through the final dungeon than in all the other games I've played combined. No kidding.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »
Does stuff made by From Software count?

Anyway, as for easiest... I dunno.  The Final Fantasy series post-SNES era I guess?  There really aren't a lot of good, difficult RPGs that I can think of, mostly because grinding in-substantiates so many of them as "hard."

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 04:17:12 pm »
For some reason, I don't remember Final Fantasy Legend II being all that hard.  But I had more patience as a kid, too.  The remake saw me get my butt kicked multiple times, though.  It feels like they really ratcheted up the pressure for that.  Maybe it's like it used to be, though.  Maybe it's time to retroactively play FFL2.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 05:32:40 pm »
Easiest - The Legend of Shenja - Genesis Innocens

Hardest - Unlimited Sa-Ga
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 06:57:05 pm »
Hardest: Final Fantasy II. I used more savestates to get through the final dungeon than in all the other games I've played combined. No kidding.
The LAST dungeon in FF2, for the Famicom? That was one of the easiest parts for me. By then I had Aspir leveled up so I could just spam it for practically infinite MP. Helped I think I had a magician with like Cure Level 12 and the primary attack spells at like Level 8 (since I had to grind magic experience earlier in the game).
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 12:02:02 am »
I agree with KingMike, FF II had a steep beginning, but once you get into the bulk of the game the difficulty evened out for me.

The Soul of Rebirth chapter in the PSP version though was a mother-f***er though
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client