logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86170962 visitors

Author Topic: Rygar (NES) Cartographer text dump issue  (Read 925 times)

KRiFFiD

• View Profile
Rygar (NES) Cartographer text dump issue
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:25:10 am »
I'm practicing extraction/insertion with Rygar for the NES - I have the table file set up and all cartographer files are all ready to go and edited for my Rygar rom. My (RAW) text file is formatted correctly after executing cartographer but the other script file that has my Atlas pointers in order are all screwed up and not coming out correctly. My commands are as follows:
#GAME NAME:      Rygar (NES)

#BLOCK NAME:      Dialogue Block (RAW)
#TYPE:         NORMAL
#METHOD:      RAW
#SCRIPT START:      $DB67
#SCRIPT STOP:      $E195
#TABLE:         rygar_raw.tbl
#COMMENTS:      Yes      //start first line with //
#END BLOCK            //remainder of comment placement
                       //is handled by control codes

#BLOCK NAME:      Dialogue Block (POINTER_RELATIVE)
#TYPE:         NORMAL
#METHOD:      POINTER_RELATIVE
#POINTER ENDIAN:   LITTLE
#POINTER TABLE START:   $DB29
#POINTER TABLE STOP:   $DB67
#POINTER SIZE:              $02
#POINTER SPACE:      $00
#ATLAS PTRS:      Yes
#BASE POINTER:      $0010      //$DB67 - $DB57 = $0010
#TABLE:         rygar_ptr.tbl
#COMMENTS:      Yes
#END BLOCK

Can someone help me out and tell me if these are correct? I'm absolutely 100% sure of where the text and all as stated in my command file but the only thing I can think of is my #BASE POINTER value is wrong? If you use the pointer calculator to get the potential pointer...it is correct upon scrolling up from the start of the text so I KNOW thats correct (the math is denoted with the comments above). I used Madhacker's NES doc to find the pointer to double check it as well.FYI my table file for the rygar_ptr table file has the correct END token values and my cartographer bat's edited correctly I'm 100% positive. I'm just at a loss and have learned so much and have hit a roadblock. If someone could help me understand what I'm doing wrong I'd greatly appreciate it :beer:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:25:11 pm by KRiFFiD »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
Re: Rygar (NES) Cartographer text dump issue
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:05 pm »
You have an overlap where the script starts and where the pointer table ends is one issue that comes to mind.

KRiFFiD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »
You have an overlap where the script starts and where the pointer table ends is one issue that comes to mind.
Thanks for the input (finally from someone!!). I realize what you're saying but the reason I did this is because the FF1 example that came with the Cartographer program also has the overlap with the script start and pointer table end so I figured this is no exception but I'll try a line above.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »
Well, the only that'd be a problem is if DB67 is not the final byte of the pointer table and the start of the text. In that case, the pointer table would end at DB66.

Also, your base pointer is probably wrong. Pointers point to a section of the PRG-RAM where the text resides within the NES memory map. PRG-RAM and ROM offsets often times don't match up and you need to add or subtract from the base pointer to get it dump from the right ROM offset. Because you're only really adjusting for the header, it's probably only starting at 9B67 in the ROM and an extra 4000 bytes needs to be added. I'm just guessing here though.

KRiFFiD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »
YES!! That was the answer thanks a lot Pennywise (BTW love the movie "IT"!!)!! The pointers came out perfectly when I ADDED $4000 to the base pointer (so #BP=$4010 //adding $0010 to $4000 for the header) and stopped the pointer table at $DB66 a byte above where the script begins, like you said to compensate for the location for the PRG-RAM bank where the text is located - somehow I missed this concept somewhere down the line in the countless forums/.docs I've scoured through. BTW sorry for the slow response - I've been slammed at work recently and haven't had time to experiment and correct my commands.  Again I greatly appreciate the help!  8)

FYI - I've been following RH.net for a LOOOONG time but just never really got serious about jumping into ROM hacking head first and create an account. I've noticed a demand for translators and now I'm interested in ROM translation and want to assist in any way I can to help our side of the world enjoy the qualities and wonders that import games can  provide! I'm excited to be a part of this community and hopefully will be able to put my skills to use in one form or another.  :beer: