logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78305907 visitors

Author Topic: Rhythm Tengoku / Heaven GBA Translation  (Read 7188 times)

Doomed

• View Profile
Rhythm Tengoku / Heaven GBA Translation
« on: July 12, 2012, 05:32:32 pm »
http://gbatemp.net/topic/330147-rhythm-heaven-rhythm-tengoku/

Babys first ROM hacking project. I can handle changing plaintext Shift-JIS to plaintext ANSI. If I never end up understanding the games graphics format, Ill just settle for a text translation. :)

Gameplay videos // Updates (Download) // RSS
Other pages: ROMhacking.net // Google // Guide

Trailer

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 01:01:48 pm by Doomed »

Auryn

• View Profile
Re: Rhythm Tengoku / Heaven GBA Translation
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
Well, I believe you are looking for this:

There are other 12.5 screens like this from where this came from with 2 other fonts bigger than this one.
Sadly for you, this program doesn't seem to show other graphics in that rom apart the font.
Are you sure it's graphics what you are missing??
The other possible thing is that the graphics you are looking for are compressed and need to be decompressed before you can view them.
The program I used to view the font is "CrystalTile2".
I hope i could help a bit.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 03:42:07 pm »
Thanks for the post but I don't think that's it. From the predecessor to this project (linked as the "Massive Document"):

Normmatt:
Did you ever workout where the font is? because i think i found it but its compressed somehow and i haven't bothered to take a proper look at it.

I've found the font widths which are helpful but without being able to edit the font there fairly useless, i guess i'll have to do a decompressor, or just make it use the uncompressed font instead.

pelrun:
The font isn't compressed at all; it's right there in the clear at 8CC2E8. Standard GBA tile format, 4bpp.

Normmatt:
If you'd have payed attention that font does nothing. If you edit it the main font in game isnt affected at all.

Font Widths values are stored at 96328F for ascii (A=9632C0)
get Width routine is located at 08009898

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
Umm, how to say, there is a font in 4bpp at that offset but it's clearly a 2 color font:

If a graphic/text you are missing has a coloration like that, then be sure to check that font but the real font you are using with your translation is the one i found in that special way in CT2.
A simple corruption of "my" font make it clear:

I found some more graphics that is uncompressed. To be exact, the "close" you see when a stage is still locked.
Sadly corrupting the other 2 fonts i found and playing the game 10min, didn't show me where those fonts are used :(
I believe that all graphics are compressed by a custom routine because programs like unlz-gba don't show much.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »
Oh, cool! And you even downloaded my patch to demonstrate it. Thanks! I did look with CrystalTile2 but evidently I missed that. If you're after technical information, everything that "we" know is in that "Massive Document" I linked to. It starts out with an email from the main hacker for the Mother 3 translation and then goes in chronological order from oldest to newest.

The other 2 fonts? A slightly larger Japanese font is used in the "Marcher" minigame (first tier, #3). Use this save to unlock all of them.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/933337-rhythm-tengoku/saves

Tier 2, game 5 "The * Bon Odori" uses larger, colored Japanese text. Tier 4, game #5 "Rap Men" uses a different font too.

edit: And there's all of the other graphics / tiles, like the menu graphics that are still in Japanese. Those are probably compressed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:41:28 am by Doomed »

Spikeman

• *unce unce unce*
    • View Profile
    • None at the moment, check out my Last.fm page instead?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 03:54:38 am »
I did a little work on this game a while ago, I also have a script already formatted for Atlas that was done by pelrun in 2008 that I've done some localization on already.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5772976/rhythm.zip

That has the script fixed to work with ATLAS, the table file, and my font dumper. Not sure how much use the dumper will be to you since it's written in Haskell, and I haven't compiled it. If the other graphics you're looking for are compressed in the same way perhaps looking at the code might help.

Also the one piece of possibly useful info I actually wrote down:

Font Widths values are stored at 96328F for ascii (A=9632C0)
Open Source Hacking Projects: Guru Logic Champ, Telefang 2, (Want more? Check out my GitHub!)

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 02:51:57 pm »
Thank you very much! Things are almost coming together. I just received a PM on GBAtemp:
Being a bit of an amateur translator (starting my 3rd year of Japanese), I figured I'd have a look around...

Looking at the wiki page (wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Rhythm_Tengoku_Translation) a lot of the literal translations have... problems of varying severity. One of them (スゴイッスー!, I believe is how it is in the script) is *completely wrong.* It's translated as "This is the last--! ", which would be correct if it were サイゴッス (Saigossu). スゴイ (Sugoi) is pretty well-known as "cool!", and "ッス" (ssu) is a colliquial sentence-ending particle, both are in katakana more than likely for emphasis. I'd probably render it as "AWESOME!".
Fun times ahead. Truthfully, I haven't worked much on the hacking part of it because I couldn't figure out Atlas / didn't want to spend the time to learn. Your files should be very helpful.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:16 pm »
Here you have the offsets and the settings for CT2 of the fonts you requested in pm.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »

Thanks to your help I now have a smaller font. (The rank text is messed up in this screenshot.)

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 10:09:50 am »
:)

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 10:36:49 am »
Looking at the wiki page (wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Rhythm_Tengoku_Translation) a lot of the literal translations have... problems of varying severity. One of them (スゴイッスー!, I believe is how it is in the script) is *completely wrong.* It's translated as "This is the last--! ", which would be correct if it were サイゴッス (Saigossu). スゴイ (Sugoi) is pretty well-known as "cool!", and "ッス" (ssu) is a colliquial sentence-ending particle, both are in katakana more than likely for emphasis. I'd probably render it as "AWESOME!".
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The real barrier standing in the way of doing a translation of this game is localizing the game-relevant audio. Not easy to do for free.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 10:39:17 am »
I’ll admit I tried doing something about that once but about that time my depression did a double dip.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:04 pm »
Which audio **needs** to be localized? All it is is pressing buttons after certain commands get issued. It's not a big deal, and localized audio was never a part of this project.

Deets

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:48 pm »
Which audio **needs** to be localized? All it is is pressing buttons after certain commands get issued. It's not a big deal, and localized audio was never a part of this project.
Defensive much?

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:56:40 am »
How about that one where the drill sergeant shouts commands like “hidari” and “migi”? You can go without, but you’re not on the same footing as someone who knows what those mean.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 01:31:03 pm »
Of course it would somewhat destroy the cool feature that most of the games are playable without looking at the screen, but this issue is probably easier fixed with subtitles.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 01:49:26 pm »
"The * Bon Odori" might be a little tough to non-native speakers but "Marcher" is perfectly playable without knowing Japanese. The practice sets up what each commands mean, then all you have to do is listen.

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 07:38:21 pm »
Playable ≠ on the same footing.

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 10:17:17 pm »
I'm not sure at what point this stops belonging in the newcomer's board, but I'm definitely a newcomer. A new beta was posted. It has some bugs but is mostly solid. I'm really thankful for all the help I got in this thread and on IRC. :)

http://gbatemp.net/topic/330147-rhythm-tengoku-translation-rhythm-heaven-silver/

Doomed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »
I'm still around. As always, thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far. The text portion of the translation is essentially done. We're still editing it for consistency and quality, but you can play it now if you want. If you're the type who turns a critical eye towards in-progress translations in order to make them better, I'd love to know what you think. If you just want to play for fun, know that it's almost ready, but not quite. We'll continue posting new patches every Friday.

CUE posted some sample code for decompressing images, but it's not fully functional and he doesn't have more time to devote to helping us. (Thanks anyway. I really mean that.) You can find the posts about it here.

Over the past several months, I have racked up several bugs. I am in the process of fixing two other bugs that I have not listed here.

Known bugs:
The "go for a perfect" box for Remix 3, which unlocks the song that we now call "Love's Angel," is broken. This is because the game treats this game and Remix 5 as a special case for games that have awards with long titles.
The*Bon Odori: Sprites flicker at one part because there are too many letters on-screen.
In a list of comments at the end of a game, all comments will be capitalized. This leads to comments like "Also, You nailed every move!"

I was totally wrong on whether the audio cues in "Marcher" and "Space Dance" should be edited. If this were a real Nintendo localization, they would be. Therefore, I would like the fan translation to include edited sounds as well. [Of course, if it's not possible to hack in some new audio, there's nothing we can do.] Japanese music (The*Bon Odori, Remix 3, Remix 5) would not be edited under my plan... but I may come around on that too. To BRPXQZME and Deets, I am sorry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:33:35 pm by Doomed »