logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71498567 visitors

Author Topic: What was the origin of the "Gaming Progress Thread?"  (Read 1116 times)

Spooniest

• View Profile
What was the origin of the "Gaming Progress Thread?"
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:55:15 pm »
I'm curious as to how the GPT started. What is its original premise? Are there rules? A format?

These may seem like obvious questions, but I thought them prudent to ask.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: What was the origin of the "Gaming Progress Thread?"
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:05:21 am »
I started the topic, actually. Dragonsbrethren's forums has one, so I figured why not start one at RHDN.

There aren't really any rules, as far as I know. I think it's just generally accepted that once you beat a game, it goes in "Victoly!", everything else goes in Gaming Progress.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 01:15:42 am »
We used to have a gaming review thread instead, but it never got that many posts. It’s just easier to rant about your play sessions than to feel obligated to say something meaningful.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 08:22:00 am »
I have been getting this itch, actually, to make a dedicated Gaming Progress/Victoly site, complete with search and games databases, so you can search posts according to the game you want to talk about, with progress tracking... I don't know, a big thing, I guess... Maybe with like little badges/trophies or something that get displayed in your profile or something.

I need to start, however, by figuring out what to do about servers. Should I just buy a computer and use that? Bandwidth will suck and I might get in trouble if it gets enough traffic (since I have a regular, home connection)... I haven't yet looked at using any cloud services, but I figure those will be more expensive in the long run... Ugh...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:47:47 pm »
I have been getting this itch, actually, to make a dedicated Gaming Progress/Victoly site, complete with search and games databases, so you can search posts according to the game you want to talk about, with progress tracking... I don't know, a big thing, I guess... Maybe with like little badges/trophies or something that get displayed in your profile or something.

I need to start, however, by figuring out what to do about servers. Should I just buy a computer and use that? Bandwidth will suck and I might get in trouble if it gets enough traffic (since I have a regular, home connection)... I haven't yet looked at using any cloud services, but I figure those will be more expensive in the long run... Ugh...

Well, before you go creating another similar-sounding site, have you taken a look at The Backloggery, Raptr, Playfire, GiantBomb, and/or GamerDNA? They all have some level or another of game tracking (and for all I know there are probably others). If nothing else, they might be worth taking a look at to see what they do both right and wrong for ideas.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
Well, before you go creating another similar-sounding site, have you taken a look at The Backloggery, Raptr, Playfire, GiantBomb, and/or GamerDNA? They all have some level or another of game tracking (and for all I know there are probably others). If nothing else, they might be worth taking a look at to see what they do both right and wrong for ideas.

Oh? Actually, I never knew about those sites. I'll take a look and see. Thanks!

Edit: Hmm... The Backloggery and Playfire look a lot like what I thinking about. I'll have to check them out in better detail when I'm on proper computer.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 05:43:48 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:27:30 am »
DarknessSavior, do you remember what the first game tracked in the topic was? I guess it would have been your entry, but there's no way for me to be sure.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 02:32:31 am »
DarknessSavior, do you remember what the first game tracked in the topic was? I guess it would have been your entry, but there's no way for me to be sure.
I do not. The thread has been pruned at least once, so I have no way of knowing.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior