logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83930783 visitors

Author Topic: So what WAS the last JRPG that you really enjoyed?  (Read 5425 times)

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
Re: So what WAS the last JRPG that you really enjoyed?
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2012, 03:00:00 am »
Yes, Silent Hill. The music its amazing, even the almost completely ambient first game.

About 98% of games can be installed, but a few titles, especially older titles can't. It'll spit an error message, not crash the machine. Online is completely optional. I don't know any that will drop you out of game if your net drops. Actually, a caveat; XBLA and XBLI games may have varying levels off online DRM. Generally, the console itself is enough DRM.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2012, 04:30:28 am »
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls if those count... if not, The World Ends With You.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2012, 09:08:36 am »
Obviously I will need to give The World Ends With You a try within the next year.  I keep seeing it come up on this board.

Also, if I had the means (a PS3), I would have already played Demon's / Dark Souls.  Those games look killer in all honesty.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2012, 09:35:28 am »
I think I answered this question a while ago, in a thread long past, and I'm sticking to my original answer, which was Dragon Quest 8. Old-school FTW.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
I think I answered this question a while ago, in a thread long past, and I'm sticking to my original answer, which was Dragon Quest 8. Old-school FTW.

Hmm... interesting. I thought, for a Dragon Quest game, 8 was really good, but some really sleep-inducing music. The battle theme was good and catchy, though.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2012, 10:48:06 am »
Also, if I had the means (a PS3), I would have already played Demon's / Dark Souls.  Those games look killer in all honesty.
Dark Souls is also on 360, by the way.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2012, 10:57:58 am »
And soon on the PC. I have it preordered.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2012, 12:07:41 pm »
And soon on the PC. I have it preordered.
I hear they're not fixing the frame rate issues, though.  That's disappointing.  Of course, it is PC, so maybe they'll tackle the performance issues eventually.  (Also, new content, correct?  Almost makes me wish I hadn't picked the game up recently.  Almost.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2012, 12:23:56 pm »
New content, yes, which is going to be released as DLC for the console versions.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:00 pm »
I hear they're not fixing the frame rate issues, though.

Couldn't those be mitigated by a faster processor / more badass video card?

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2012, 12:46:09 pm »
New content, yes, which is going to be released as DLC for the console versions.
This is good to know.  :)

Couldn't those be mitigated by a faster processor / more badass video card?
I read somewhere that it's a pretty bare-bones port, they're not going to optimize the engine issues that were causing the problems.

Ah, here we go.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2012, 01:24:30 pm »
I don't understand why someone would play a game that doesn't keep up a steady framerate, but I guess you can chalk that up to my history of being a console gamer. Hell, the newest console I have is a 360 that doesn't work, and the newest working one I have is a Gamecube. [/self-shaming]
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2012, 01:32:39 pm »
and the newest working one I have is a Gamecube. [/self-shaming]

Man don't feel bad about it.  There are literally thousands of games out there across dozens of consoles!  There's no way to have timely played them all when they were actually released, unless gaming is all your life revolved around (i.e. circumstances like live with parents, no gf/wife, no job, no social life, no kids, basement dweller etc.).  For the rest of us busy adults it's inevitable that we end up playing games which are "ancient" by this medium's definition of the word.  So I say good sir, enjoy that GameCube!  And if you need any recommendations let me know.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2012, 01:38:24 pm »
Yeah.  The sad part, of course, is that I own a ton of games, but I figure I've barely finished 10% of them.  It's a better percentage with the older consoles, as the games were typically shorter, but newer stuff?  I still haven't completely adjusted to having enough money to actually get some games, but expect to have the time to play them all.

I'll just tell myself that it gives me "options".

And there's some great stuff on the 'cube.  Definitely worth having one around.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:32 pm »
Dark Souls is just badly programmed, so there is a bottleneck somewhere in the program. No matter what hardware you throw at it, it will likely have the framerate problems anyway. And let's not forget those issues are in the console versions as well, they just couldn't fix them for the PC version. So for someone like me who doesn't have a PS3 or a 360, there is still no reason to shun the PC version.

I don't understand why someone would play a game that doesn't keep up a steady framerate, but I guess you can chalk that up to my history of being a console gamer.

Consoles have this problem way way more often than a good gaming PC...

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »
Consoles have this problem way way more often than a good gaming PC...

Which is very sad because consoles clearly have the advantage that the specs don't differ at all (or only by a small margin), so it should be "easy" to optimize your game. I always wonder why developers even in spite of this overburden the hardware.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »
Quote from: Sarge
The sad part, of course, is that I own a ton of games, but I figure I've barely finished 10% of them.

I have for years voraciously acquired games as well, and I have a library which even if I stopped right now, and spent 8 hours a day playing until I died (let's say at age 75), I still couldn't finish it all.  With that in mind, I am really trying to force myself to be more critically selective of my purchases.  It's the classic irony though = when you were a kid with all the free time in the world, you couldn't afford many games = now as an adult with hardly any free time, you can afford plenty of them = oh cruel irony!  That said, sometimes I feel like a doof coming on this board praising old assed JRPGs when it seems everybody else here already played them.  And I wonder how in the world so many members were able to play all these games when they were still fresh.  How they even had the free time to do it!?  Then I feel I must be a lot older, but the truth is there's plenty of guys here around 30ish.  I must have just been playing PC games when everybody else was JRPGing in the past 10 years.  I suppose that's why I don't jump on the new pretty pretty WRPGs that come out.  Sure, I could certainly afford right now to go and buy a 360, and all the best WRPGs for it.  Yet I look at them, and then I look at old PS1 and PS2 JRPGs, and I'd rather play those JRPGs instead.  I'm burnt out on WRPGs while most around here are burnt out on JRPGs I suppose.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 01:56:15 pm »
That's probably a lot of it.  I didn't get any access to a PC until I hit college.  And even then, I spent more of my time in the emulation boom, playing all the old games I never got a chance to.  I'm woefully lacking when it comes to the PC side of the equation, however.  So you could probably rattle off a list of WRPGs that you've finished that I haven't finished at all.  Or even played.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:17 pm »
And I wonder how in the world so many members were able to play all these games when they were still fresh.  How they even had the free time to do it!?  Then I feel I must be a lot older, but the truth is there's plenty of guys here around 30ish.  I must have just been playing PC games when everybody else was JRPGing in the past 10 years.

I was still going to university and have almost exclusively played JRPGs since the PSX era, so I was able to play a lot of 'em. Still not all (not even all good ones), mind you. But even I find myself playing other genres ever so often recently.