logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83885223 visitors

Author Topic: Hey, a new 3DS?  (Read 6852 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Hey, a new 3DS?
« on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:48 pm »
When I read this, I thought of Dank for some reason ::)

Anyways, so a 3DS XL? Sounds good to me, except I won't be buying it at all... ...Maybe I could get it for my mom. That and that old Clubhouse Games for the DS... Wait a second =_=
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
Re: Hey, a new 3DS?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »
yeah, it still isn't official yet, but I believe it, Dank and I so called this, the whole "we'll never revise the 3DS" what a load of BS.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

jmurjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 11:10:35 pm »
Wonder if Sony is working on a redesign of their system as well. I really hope they release the 3DS with two analog sticks. I have not bought one yet but will eventually. I really like portable gaming more than consoles to be honest.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:10:19 am »
yeah, it still isn't official yet, but I believe it, Dank and I so called this, the whole "we'll never revise the 3DS" what a load of BS.
With Nintendo's history, it'd be silly to believe they'd never revise the DS. They can't go more than about 2 years without an update.
GBA: 2001 SP: 2003 micro/SP2: 2005
DS: 2004 DSL: 2006 DSi: 2008 DSiXL: 2010 3DS: 2011
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 08:12:15 am »
With Nintendo's history, it'd be silly to believe they'd never revise the DS. They can't go more than about 2 years without an update.

Yeah, but when I was saying they would, a certain someone was adamant I was wrong.  Despite the pattern of history.

This is good for the 3DS though, 'cause whenever I do buy one, I want that second analog stick already built in.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:37:35 am »
But I'm not sure this one is going to add another stick.  (And if it does...  well, I really don't care.  Yet.  Although a larger system is appealing.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:37 am »
But I'm not sure this one is going to add another stick.  (And if it does...  well, I really don't care.  Yet.  Although a larger system is appealing.)

You'll care when 3DS titles start coming out which require that second stick.  (Go ahead and deny they won't, I like this game.   :P)

I think it should be a law that all portables have a video out port for home use though.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 02:19:44 pm »
I suppose that depends on whether the Circle Pad is an accessory that gets a lot of use or if it's a novelty.

I thought the DS Rumble Pak was a quickly forgotten add-on (especially since I don't think Nintendo even bothered to release the DS Lite version outside Japan), but the list of supported games is a little longer than I'd have expected.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »
Time will tell if they integrate it or not.  And again, it's not like I can't "upgrade" at some point.  I've gotten good use out of my 3DS to this point, and I'm sure I'd be able to find someone that wants it, which would help finance my purchase of the new one, if it proves to be something that I have to have.  I'm certainly not going to freak out over it, like some on other message boards and comment threads seem wont to do.  :P
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 03:07:14 pm »
You'll care when 3DS titles start coming out which require that second stick.  (Go ahead and deny they won't, I like this game.   :P)

I think it should be a law that all portables have a video out port for home use though.

This!

There is no reason portables have to be stuck to their own screen. Doing this would also lessen the need for any consoles (except for all those graphics kiddies, who cry when their graphics look like they were taken out of a PS2 game... which seriously, wtf, PS2 graphics bad? >_>)
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
Graphics are not the only reason not to be portable. Think of controller ergonomics, rumble, battery life, the ability to be wireless etc.

Then there is the fact that it is cheaper to make a home console with the same specs than it is to make a portable, so you'd have to pay more for the same thing. Then you have to consider the cost to buy additional systems for multiplayer vs judt buying controllers.

Then there are the millions of people like me that never play games outside of my living room and have no need to be portable.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
First time I read Garoth's post, I thought he said portables shouldn't have their own screen. :D
But I think I see what he means: like the AV out option on PSP-2000/3000, it should be a standard option for consoles.

Yes, multiple controllers is cheaper than multiple systems. And also only needing to buy one copy. (yeah, I'm aware of single-pak Game Link on GBA, Download Play. But don't they usually have to cut features to make them work (RAM limitations, transfer speed, etc.), compared to using a separate copy per player?

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 01:44:12 am »
This!

There is no reason portables have to be stuck to their own screen.

Well, aside from some potential issues regarding the DS/3DS I would tend to agree with this. Although, with the advent of the Wii U and the tablet controller, it could make for a workable "DS/3DS Player" along the same lines as the Super GB and GB Player.

kode54

• View Profile
    • kode54's foobar2000 plugins
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 12:24:37 am »

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 03:02:21 am »
Of course he is going to deny it, if he would let it slip that a revision is coming in the near future, sales would drop to near zero until then.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:08 am »
http://www.blisteredthumbs.net/2012/06/3ds-xl-is-official/

Who saw it coming? *raises hand*

It's just stupid that they're not including a second thumbstick. And I don't see any Monster Hunter announcements in that Nintendo Expo thing either. *shakes fist*

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 01:43:51 am »
Does not include an AC adapter...???!?   :huh:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 02:34:11 am »
$200 and you have to buy the AC adapter separately?

Has Nintendo already forgotten why the lowered the price of the original? :P
(unless they want to say "but we have Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 now!")

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 02:35:18 am »
So this means they will not retcon the second analog stick to the system. Thus it will always be optional and it will probably fade away out of usage with time. They had a chance to fix things and didn't oh boy Nintendo...

I hope those displays are much better quality than Nintendo usually puts out, since at that size it becomes very apparent if the display is shit, and most users were spoiled by super high resolution and contrast smartphone displays by now. At that price I have my doubts they didn't skimp on something essential like this again.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 04:11:04 am »
I think I was the only one that predicted BOTH that there would be a second revision and that it wouldn't have a second stick. They didn't "whoops" forget it on the first one. They don't want people to have a second stick, they want a different kind of play and they want people to use the touch screen, the add on was just to appease people.

I'm not saying that they're right, or that it's good for developers or sales, but it's clear that's what they wanted.

even more hilarious, this version might not even receive a dual stick ad on at all.

cheers.

EDIT:

Also Nintendo of America has gone on record to say that the XL will come with the AC Adapter and a 4GB memory card.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/nintendo-reveals-3ds-xl