logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71181072 visitors

Author Topic: Need help with Breath Of Fire 1 !! (Gant, Gobi area of game)  (Read 776 times)

Validus

• View Profile
so I got to Gant. I somehow "helped" the town I forgot what I did. They said to go NorthWest to a castle, before getting to  the castle there is a feild with ugly chocobo looking birds. According to the strategy guides there should be an egg in a nest , but there is NO EGG

what trigger did i miss? 

thr

• View Profile
Re: Need help with Breath Of Fire 1 !! (Gant, Gobi area of game)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »
have you talked to the old man with the goat? his hut is southeast of Gant. you'll need your B.Rang fixed, before he'll talk to you, though.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »
I couldnt get the B.Rang out of the rocky tomb if thats what you mean?>

do i need the ox guy to break it or something?

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:54 pm »
yea.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 12:28:02 pm »
thanks

games seemed much more simple at age 12

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 12:44:49 pm »
There are games that I feel depend on you not knowing what you're doing. Once you know what you're doing, there can be a chance you skip something because you "know where to go".

Is this just me?
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 01:06:54 pm »
Nah, that happens to me too, sometimes. Trigger hunting sucks. :(

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:41:04 pm »
There are games that I feel depend on you not knowing what you're doing. Once you know what you're doing, there can be a chance you skip something because you "know where to go".

Is this just me?

right. following a walkthrough/strategy guide to the point can make you miss stuff, if the faq author had missed it. I've seen it numerous times. also, I feel it deprives from the enjoyment of the game at times. instead of experiencing stuff firsthand, you're just being led by a puppeteer. I've finished BoF several times in the past, and never had the need to follow a walkthrough. but BoF is easy.
on the other hand, there are games that are impossible to experience fully without consulting a walkthrough. (Final Fantasies come to mind, with their multitude of secrets. or Valkyrie Profile, with it's tricky best ending conditions. Persona 3, where it's almost impossible to max your social links without following very strict directions. and many more.) these days, though, I mostly appreciate the 'missable stuff' faqs, or skim the strategy guides, looking for missables. for me, this is usually enough to enjoy the game to it's fullest, and without fear of restarting. (I'm a completionist, won't continue a game if I know I've missed something that can't be had later.)

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 10:35:45 am »
I never used a walkthrough as a child, when BoF1 came out there wasnt even internet  yet.

I just now used it since I got stuck and I consulted with a FAQ/Guide to see what I missed and that did not help either.

I personally hate walkthroughs and strategy guides, but when one is stuck, one has no time to waste in such a short life.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »
I remember getting stuck on the egg part the first time I played BoF1 around '97. No internet, so I was stuck.
Too cheap to call up Nintendo's game counselors, didn't want to write to them about then find out on my own while waiting a couple weeks for a response.
I got as far as defeating the GrimFowl, and then I couldn't figure out what to do next.
Spoiler:
Turns out you needed to steal the egg, and then wait for the other GrimFowls to line up behind you, then walk slowly off the map and to Nabal Castle.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 03:49:48 pm »
I personally hate walkthroughs and strategy guides, but when one is stuck, one has no time to waste in such a short life.
certainly. when there's a need, the usage of faqs is completely justified. it's a problem only when they're used excessively (heh, guess the same could be said about most things in life). but it's so tempting to follow directions... I've found that I have to close the webpage with a faq after checking out the solution to the problem at hand. else I tend to check it out all the time, and start getting braindead... go there, do that... I don't even have to think about what I'm doing. this seriously makes me not enjoy the game in the slightest.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 03:56:36 pm »
Better to use a guide than drop the game entirely.  And back in the day, guides were almost a necessity.  (I say almost, because perseverance would see you through, but I don't have as much time as when I was a kid.  Not that I had tons of gaming time then, either.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36