logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71126322 visitors

Author Topic: Famitsu on the 15th anniversary of FF7  (Read 2911 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
Re: Famitsu on the 15th anniversary of FF7
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 02:44:28 pm »
B-b-but...

*pats Final Fantasy IX in the head*

I'll always love Final Fantasy IX the best. Always. :'( And VI, but really, who doesn't like VI?

DP, VIII is decent enough, although I'm not sure how you'll take to it. Specially after you discover how broken the system is, and figure out how to abuse it, it becomes less of a game and more of an interactive movie. Before you discover its secrets, it might punish you quite a bit.

And III... If you thought V was underwhelming, then I'm not sure you'll find III to be any better... It's like a transition between I and V. :S
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

mz

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 02:50:08 pm »
Funny how no one ever clamors for remakes of VIII, IX, or X... why ever could that be...
Compared to VII, those games' graphics still look pretty nice...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 02:52:16 pm »
DP, VIII is decent enough, although I'm not sure how you'll take to it.

I'll take it on its own merits.  When I play a game I always do my best to wipe my mind's slate clean and start fresh, ignoring previous opinions I've read/heard.  I understand the game has an emo love story in the middle, and a highly unconventional battle system.  But I'll give those things a chance, because I like the game's art style and futuristic tone.  Probably the only thing I know I won't like already are overly long summon scenes.  But ePSXe has fast forward for that at least.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 02:53:23 pm »
Compared to VII, those games' graphics still look pretty nice...

So it's all about the graphics? (Not arguing against you, since I kinda feel like some people may actually be clamoring for remakes precisely because of this)

Wasn't Final Fantasy X getting an HD remake? Or port, for that matter.
Who will quote me next?

mz

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 06:18:20 pm »
So it's all about the graphics?
It is for the most part, in my opinion.

I think most people working on patches (and remakes) at Qhimm, are more focused on graphics than anything else. For example, they swapped the field models with the battle models and stuff like that; there's no need for that in 8, 9 and 10...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2012, 08:13:13 am »
Yeah I have to agree with mz about the graphics thing, that is what fanboys want.  Actually, the graphics and gameplay were just fine for me when I played VII a few years ago.  It was the ridiculous characters and insipidly childish plot that I hated.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2012, 10:57:59 am »
That's what we all usually want when we're talking remakes.  I mean, it's a game that we already love, so we don't want the core of the game to change.  We just want it to look prettier, to sound better, to be exponentially more awesome.

Of course, we all know (especially here) that graphics aren't everything.  But I do think there's room for remakes.  Sometimes we want to play our favorites in a substantially more engrossing form, graphically speaking.  Heck, I finished Ocarina on 3DS not too long ago, and the whole experience was better than I remember it being the first time through.  Some games just benefit from the additional technology, I suppose.

That begs the question:  What are some games that were remade and improved not just on the graphical front, but to address serious, glaring flaws in the gameplay the first time around?
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2012, 11:23:00 am »
That begs the question:  What are some games that were remade and improved not just on the graphical front, but to address serious, glaring flaws in the gameplay the first time around?

Metroid -> Metroid: Zero Mission

Bar none. I didn't even catch on to the fact that it was a remake. I then felt like I had no need to suffer through the NES original.
Who will quote me next?

mz

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2012, 12:04:08 pm »
Tomb Raider -> Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Resident Evil -> Resident Evil (GC)
Metal Slug 2 -> Metal Slug X
Castlevania (N64) -> Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
Street Fighter II -> Super Street Fighter II Turbo etc. etc.
Metal Gear Solid -> Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2012, 12:07:19 pm »
Metal Gear Solid -> Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

I always read about how the GC version introduced new flaws to the game. I only played it for a small bit a long time ago, before I played the original... But by then, I actually did not remember Twin Snakes at all. So I'm curious if anyone agrees.
Who will quote me next?

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:09 pm »
I'll agree with Tomb Raider and RE.  It starts getting a little sketchier, though, with the others.  Metal Slug X feels more like a director's cut of MS2.  Same with Legacy of DarknessSSFII Turbo is still more of an expansion of the original than anything.  And MGS certainly looks better, but I've heard that between the improved AI and the ability to first-person aim, that it actually breaks the balance of the original.  The environments are really cramped, so evading enemies is incredibly tough, and the first-person issue breaks at least one boss fight (Revolver Ocelot).

Still, that's a good start!  :D

Also, Zero Mission is awesome.  That's how a remake should be done.  (It's also got me itching to play the fan-made remake of Metroid 2.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36