logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86203219 visitors

Author Topic: So I Wanna Play Chrono Trigger for the First Time...  (Read 3714 times)

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
So I Wanna Play Chrono Trigger for the First Time...
« on: May 21, 2012, 01:39:08 am »
...so which translation should I download?

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1198/
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1258/

Or should I look into this U.S. bug-fix?

I'm a bit of a purist, so I'm hesitant to try the DS port. Is there any reason to play the original over that re-release?

I look forward to your vast wealth of Square/Enix transliteration knowledge! :D
And I'll leave it at that!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: So I Wanna Play Chrono Trigger for the First Time...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:42:02 am »
Personally, I feel like the DS version is the best translation. It corrects a lot of the stuff that they got wrong with the SNES release. Granted, there's still stuff that I, as a translator, disagree with in every version. But this one is the best out of all of them, in my opinion (having played all of them).

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:28:37 am »
I'd ardently encourage playing the SNES version, if only because the language isn't so obviate.

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:06:23 am »
The official translations are fine. If you have an issue with Woolsey's translation, play the DS version instead.
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:27:17 am »
Play the DS version, period, if you're going to play CT for the first time. There's no reason not to, unless you for some reason don't own a DS.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:06:24 am »
I'd say either take the SNES game as is, or go with the 2nd translation(same as the first really, just not as crazy accurate to the original Japanese text). Really, after having recently completed that 2nd translation, about the only notable difference, aside from censorship and other odd renamings, is when a certain character asks your name, it isn't automatically given to them, and you can give them a name that only they, and the people of their village will call you. That and the main characters mother has a name.

Was anybody really bothered by Frog/Kaeru? "How dare they translate what that actually means?"

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 08:31:32 am »
Go for it. You really can't go wrong with Chrono Trigger.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:53:54 am »
I'd say either take the SNES game as is, or go with the 2nd translation(same as the first really, just not as crazy accurate to the original Japanese text). Really, after having recently completed that 2nd translation, about the only notable difference, aside from censorship and other odd renamings, is when a certain character asks your name, it isn't automatically given to them, and you can give them a name that only they, and the people of their village will call you. That and the main characters mother has a name.

Was anybody really bothered by Frog/Kaeru? "How dare they translate what that actually means?"

Id go with this

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
I didn't see anything wrong with the original.

The DS remake is kind of okay but it lacks the epicness the original has.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »

Because it's on a small screen?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »

I don't remember the DS version not having the same effect as the snes one... then again, I've pretty much always played the ps1 one before the DS version came out. It was everything the ps1 version was and more, without the loading times.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:08:34 pm »
SNES one all the way. The DS one's translation is good, but the SNES translation has charisma and charm that completely over-shadow any little nit-picky, anal problems people may have with minor translation errors. It's the difference between a story written by someone who has a real talent and a unique ability to draw people in with words versus a story written by someone who is technically a very proficient writer, but lacks that spark of creativity and inspiration that really immerses people in their work.

Obviously I absolutely love Chrono Trigger to death on the SNES. It's one of the two RPGs I've ever played all the way through multiple times (Lunar 2 on Sega CD is the other), I go through it once every couple of years. I've tried to get into the other translations but they are just so stiff and boring; every time I start to play the DS version or try a patch I end up just pulling out my SNES cart and playing through it again instead.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 01:50:14 pm »
After I finished playing through the DS version and had found all the endings, I found myself to be quite sick of the game.  Maybe it was just the very, very poorly done "bonus content" bringing me down.  Or maybe it was just me.

"One of you is close to someone who needs help. Find this person, FAST." shall always be an Epic Fail.

I read exactly once that the US SNES release had slightly rebalanced difficulty over the JP release, but as I have never been able to find more collaborating commentary, I'm not sure if that's true.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
Play the DS version, period, if you're going to play CT for the first time. There's no reason not to, unless you for some reason don't own a DS.
I don't own a DS :( ...yet.

Plus, I want to play this with my brother, so if I did, it would via emulation.

about the only notable difference, aside from censorship and other odd renamings, is when a certain character asks your name, it isn't automatically given to them, and you can give them a name that only they, and the people of their village will call you. That and the main characters mother has a name."
What a strange feature. :huh: So I can tell someone my name is Moe Lester & to someone else that I'm Psycho The Rapist? :laugh:

Please go on. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. The text? The music?

Oh yeah, please tell me the DS music is nearly identical to the SNES scores! No unnecessary arrangements, right? Right? :'(

So far I tallied up the definitive suggestions & it's a tie between the DS version, the second translation, & the original U.S. release (so the bugfix).
And I'll leave it at that!

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 03:42:15 pm »
The DS version seemed identical to me... but I've been quoted on my musical expertise already. That said, how do you plan to play with your brother? I don't recall a second player feature, but I can be wrong...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »
Chrono Trigger's 'multiplayer' is pretty much just letting a second person control a character or two in battle. It really, really isn't very interesting.

Yasunori Mitsuda was personally responsible for the DS port's music and in a lot of ways it is superior to the SNES soundtrack even despite portable speakers being kind of lackluster.

Also...

I'd say either take the SNES game as is, or go with the 2nd translation(same as the first really, just not as crazy accurate to the original Japanese text).

What? What are you smoking and where can I get some? This and the rest of your post is hilariously, tragically wrong. The DS translation is massively improved over the original; I actually prefer its version of Frog to the original (though the reason his accent changed is because Slattery didn't have time to redo all of the Middle Ages' text...not that I'm complaining).

Besides which, not only does the DS version have an improved soundtrack, the graphics were touched up and the Final Fantasy Chronicles FMVs return, if for some reason you like those. It is also entirely playable with the stylus, if that is your preference, in addition to the usual gamepad controls.

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »
Chrono Trigger's 'multiplayer' is pretty much just letting a second person control a character or two in battle. It really, really isn't very interesting.
... :huh: Chrono Trigger never had any multiplayer... FFIV, FFV, and FFVI did, sure, and in the way you described... But CT never had that. The DS version has the online monster battling, but that's it...
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 06:42:58 pm »
DS or SNES is fine.  Skip the PSX port.

DS has a few additions, but they're completely superfluous to the experience.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 09:09:24 pm »
... :huh: Chrono Trigger never had any multiplayer... FFIV, FFV, and FFVI did, sure, and in the way you described... But CT never had that. The DS version has the online monster battling, but that's it...

I stand corrected. Point remains, however.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 09:28:39 pm »

Yasunori Mitsuda was personally responsible for the DS port's music and in a lot of ways it is superior to the SNES soundtrack even despite portable speakers being kind of lackluster.

Also...

What? What are you smoking and where can I get some? This and the rest of your post is hilariously, tragically wrong. The DS translation is massively improved over the original; I actually prefer its version of Frog to the original (though the reason his accent changed is because Slattery didn't have time to redo all of the Middle Ages' text...not that I'm complaining).

Besides which, not only does the DS version have an improved soundtrack, the graphics were touched up and the Final Fantasy Chronicles FMVs return, if for some reason you like those. It is also entirely playable with the stylus, if that is your preference, in addition to the usual gamepad controls.

Can't just disagree without being a dick, huh?