logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80488093 visitors

Author Topic: Capcom employee attempts suicide after being bullied.  (Read 2113 times)

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Capcom employee attempts suicide after being bullied.
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:15:25 am »
http://kotaku.com/5911353/japanese-game-developer-apparently-harassed-so-much-she-attempted-suicide

I feel sorry for her. She tries her best and gets bullied by her superiors.
Current Projects:
  • Nurvus: 10%
  • Princess Maker 2 Refine: 45%
  • ScriptTool: 25%
  • EditTool: 90%
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
Re: Capcom employee attempts suicide after being bullied.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:34:06 am »
One can't say anything without having been there. Sure, I feel sorry for her, too, but read for example this from the comments:

You know what? I hate to play devil's advocate when it's clear that she's gone through a lot of hardship and stressful situations over this, but maybe her bosses were right. I've known people like her. People who can't really create anything new or contribute anything of worth, so they sit down in meetings and come up with these inane ideas about maximizing productivity by adjusting the workflow and compiling useless information in such a way that it can be accessed more easily.

Furthermore, I know a lot of people, especially women, who perceive criticism way exaggerated. They often tell me "I got harshly yelled at", when that clearly wasn't the case, the person in question just raised his voice a bit and stated the truth.

Usually I'd say "Why didn't she just quit.", but especially in Japan that's often not a viable option. I really don't like Japan in this regard - the whole process, finding work, working, etc. there just eludes me. I'd never want to work there for my whole life.

Of course, the fact that the alleged harassment continued even after she had clinged to her seemingly only hope, Capcom's HR, is a strong indicator that there was something wrong going on. Still, after all that ruckus, I wouldn't want her to work for my company even after she had recovered either.

EDIT: It's by the way not the case that I think she's at fault here. I'd still like her to win her case because her superiors clearly could have gone a different route, even if they were just stating the truth; empathy is an important trait for a superior, after all. I just like to look at both sides of an argument.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:47:44 am by LostTemplar »

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:16 am »
I don’t know why I started reading the comments section... I’m not getting those IQ points back.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:28 am »
This kind of thing isn't all that rare in Japan, unfortunately.

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:42:17 am »
I don’t know why I started reading the comments section... I’m not getting those IQ points back.

HA that's how I feel when reading most comments, somehow I can't seem to resist them either

Thanatos-Zero

• Location: Germany - Rheinlandpfalz - Wittlich - Zur Phillippsburg 25
  • NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:13:28 am »
Poor lady... At least she didn't die. I think it would be the best for her to join Keiji Inafune's companies Comcept and Intercept after her trial. I do not think that she will get bullied there, but respected for her efforts.

As for Capcom, those acts prove that the company doesn't care. May it be us the fans or even the employees of the company. It is no wonder, why so many have left Capcom. -_-

holyknight14

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 04:10:25 pm »
While I'm sure this story is dramatized a bit, Capcom is a pretty shitty company in general these days.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:52 pm »
In their defense, what Japanese video game company doesn't suck these days.

Hamtaro126

• R.I.P. 2006-2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:47:21 pm »

Sunsoft, Anyone?  :-\
(Ban is Repealed because of refusal to accept action. Making this major problem worse, So if no-one tempbans me, I WILL NOT COME BACK PERMANENTLY)

Erase this when you are ready to act like a MAN!!!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 11:08:15 pm »

I'm thinking this might be better if you answer that question only in your mind.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:03 am »
You know, I feel sorry for her, but trying to commit suicide? Back when I was in high school (about 12 or so years ago) I was bullied and poked fun at horribly. Bathrooms had graffiti making fun of me. I couldn't walk down the hallway without someone pushing me against a wall or someone yelling something in my face. Never once did I think about committing suicide. The point is is that people need to strengthen up. Life is hard and most of us crapped on, but you continue on because there is always hope at the end of the day.
Just a guy that likes horror flicks.

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
I’m glad you have the fortitude of character to have not considered suicide in a horrible situation, but not everyone is so strong... or lucky enough to be able to do that.

You may have noticed this lady had access to antidepressants, so she probably was already diagnosed for depression. Well, in Japanese culture, depression is stigmatized and suicide is often glorified. Culture and mental state provide us lenses through which we view the world, and we often have very little power to change them.

For depressed persons, there being hope at the end of the day may be true, but it also don’t mean shit, pardon my French. That people who contemplate or attempt suicide are selfish or cowardly for doing so is to perpetuate the stigma and in many cases it couldn’t be further from the truth to begin with. People who are depressed need help, not simple advice.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 12:55:50 pm »
You know, I feel sorry for her, but trying to commit suicide? Back when I was in high school (about 12 or so years ago) I was bullied and poked fun at horribly. Bathrooms had graffiti making fun of me. I couldn't walk down the hallway without someone pushing me against a wall or someone yelling something in my face. Never once did I think about committing suicide. The point is is that people need to strengthen up. Life is hard and most of us crapped on, but you continue on because there is always hope at the end of the day.
I second this.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 07:18:14 pm »
I second this.

Just wait, both of you. As Led Zeppelin puts it...

"Your time is gonna come..."
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2012, 10:50:54 am »
People who are depressed need help, not simple advice.
Completely agreed on this.  I've found that many people, if they haven't gone through it themselves, or had a loved one or close friend struggle through it, have no idea what depression is like.  It's horrible.  And it's not their fault, in many cases.  A lot of times, the anti-depressants can be as bad as the original condition.  I know that's the situation I saw.  I didn't go through it myself, and it was still a scary and dark time for all involved.  I can only imagine how bad it was for the person I'm thinking of.  And while we were always as positive as possible, and said the right and logical things, people in that situation aren't really thinking logically.  I mean, literally, it's a brain chemistry problem.  If they could just "snap out of it", they'd have already done so.

Now, I don't know enough about this case beyond that, but it's sad when anyone tries to take their own life.  I hope this lady gets the help she needs, and has a loving, supporting family to help pull her through.  That's the only thing, in my experience, that works, and even in the case I'm referring to, it took 3 years for things to normalize.  And that's probably a good outcome.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:26:48 pm »
^^ Yeah exactly, I imagine it's like someone with chronic pain trying to explain why it's so horrible and unbearable to someone who's never experienced chronic pain. Sadness and pain are things that most people only experience in short time frames, so it's hard for a person to extrapolate those finite experiences out to things like depression and chronic pain which aren't experiences, but perpetual states of existence.

Classicwolf

• Location: Somewhere north of the Chili-bowl, but south of Dayton.
  • Fire good! Have some!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »
Not with THAT attitude.
"They say love is the most powerful force in the universe. I'm trying to harness it to make weapons of mass destruction." -Deadeye from RPG Shooter Starwish
http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php?/topic/32806-dod-updated-material/

BRPXQZME

• View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2012, 12:17:42 am »
the true mistake was going to kotaku at all

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2012, 08:40:04 am »
the true mistake was going to kotaku at all

Kotaku is fun to go to at times. Some of the comments are silly enough to be funny. ...I mainly go to laugh at people's discussions...
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.