logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86045708 visitors

Author Topic: RHDN on Android Tablets and iPad  (Read 1052 times)

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
RHDN on Android Tablets and iPad
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:49 am »
This site works like salted, roasted constipated anus on my tablet. That is, of course, not counting the use of the soft keyboard.

:/

That's all I wanted to express. Any strange typos you see, all my tablet. Maybe.

Anyone else using a tablet and using this site?

Edit: I forced the text to be a little bigger, hopefully I won't see myself pressing the wrong links any more...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:29:50 am by Garoth Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
Re: RHDN on tablets
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »
i regularly browse, post on the forum, and work the news queue on my ipad. other than some overflow issues (button for the search on the main page being pushed to the next line) I have no problems.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 08:07:35 pm »
My problem is generally with text links. They're always small. I made my tablet's browser enlarge the fonts, so now it's not too bad.

Too bad this can botch testing :P
Who will quote me next?

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 12:17:55 am »
When I saw the thread title I thought it was about being on the site while high on pills

EarlJ

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00:01 am »
To be fair, that might also make the font seem too small.

Although when you use a tablet, you probably don't feel the letters crawling across your skin.
But that could depend on the haptic feedback...

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
Re: RHDN on Android Tablets and iPad
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 08:30:44 am »
Changed the title. >_> No wonder no one said anything.
Who will quote me next?

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 10:45:22 am »
Any plans on integrating Tapatalk? From what I've read it supports SMF

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 11:37:47 am »
Could someone make a tablet/iPad site theme to help with the text link issues? I've never used anything tablet-y outside of a Kindle, so I wouldn't know how mobile versions of sites work.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
Could someone make a tablet/iPad site theme to help with the text link issues? I've never used anything tablet-y outside of a Kindle, so I wouldn't know how mobile versions of sites work.

On tablet, it works like the desktop site, which is OK, until you start to press plain text links. Plain Text links are usually difficult to select with your finger.
Who will quote me next?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 02:03:00 pm »
Try this for the forum. It's not that pretty, but very functional for mobile devices. Not as great as tapatalk either, but it gets the job done.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/?wap2

As for the main site, can't you increase the font size in the browser like you can on all desktop browsers?

Someone could definitely create a site theme that would better accommodate low resolutions and/or mobile devices. There are some instances though, such as the hacks section listings, where we're simply displaying more information than you'd be able to comfortably fit in lower resolutions regardless of font sizes and layouts. Something like that would probably require some extensive system changes to address.

I'm not really that knowledgeable about mobile development. I never even owned a mobile device capable of browsing the internet until a month ago. I finally replaced my 6 year old flip phone with a smart phone.  :)
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »
Try this for the forum. It's not that pretty, but very functional for mobile devices. Not as great as tapatalk either, but it gets the job done.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/?wap2

As for the main site, can't you increase the font size in the browser like you can on all desktop browsers?

Someone could definitely create a site theme that would better accommodate low resolutions and/or mobile devices. There are some instances though, such as the hacks section listings, where we're simply displaying more information than you'd be able to comfortably fit in lower resolutions regardless of font sizes and layouts. Something like that would probably require some extensive system changes to address.

I'm not really that knowledgeable about mobile development. I never even owned a mobile device capable of browsing the internet until a month ago. I finally replaced my 6 year old flip phone with a smart phone.  :)

Whoa. That version would work if you're being forced to use one of those feature phones that have very low graphical capability.

A theme might be a solution, hmm... I'll try some out and a few seconds.

(And congrats on the smartphone; what did you get? IPhone? Android? BlackBerry?)

Edit: none of the themes increase text size. Now I wonder how these themes are created... a CSS file with some image resources saved somewhere?  I would certainly want to try my hand at making a mobile/tablet friendly version of RHDN.

Edit: Maybe just playing around with the .nav class... Hmmm... Still unsure on how to go about making a theme for RHDN, however.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:34:33 pm by Garoth Moulinoski »
Who will quote me next?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:59:47 am »
You can start by making up a concept with a local copy of the site. You can probably do what you want to do with CSS alone, although if you need more, you'd need site template files and FTP to a theme directory.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations