logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: Recruiting Staff and Moderators  (Read 3051 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Recruiting Staff and Moderators
« on: April 27, 2012, 01:45:13 pm »
We are looking to add some extra man (or woman) power in both the site staff and forum moderation areas as a combination of new babies, medical issues, job situations, and laziness (collectively known as Real Life) have reduced our ability to get things done in a timely manner for awhile.

We need energetic individuals who enjoy working for free and thrive on thankless, under appreciated positions! It's preferred you visit the site fairly often, at least several times a week. However, if you have no life, live in your parents basement, just broke up with a significant other, or love this site so much you can visit every day that's even better! Just a few minutes a day can go a long way! Hey, that rhymed! I bet that convinced you to volunteer already!

Site Staff Position:
This job consists of screening submissions, responding to contact staff form inquiries, and participating in staff discussions.

Forum Moderators:
This job consists of responding to forum reports, participating in moderator discussions, and generally making sure the forum doesn't implode.

Benefits:
New friends for life?
A warm fuzzy feeling?
Quenching your thirst for power?
Benefiting humanity?
Passing the time?
Finding the meaning of life?
Reading news before it hits the front page?
Because you can?

The ROMH wants YOU for breakfast NOW!

*This advertisement is brought to you from the mind of an insane monkey and may contain false or misleading statements. No benefits are guaranteed. All applicants must be found equally as mentally unstable.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recruiting Staff and Moderators
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:53:26 pm »
I volunteer for wherever you'd need me. I may not post often, but I'm here daily and have been for years.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:44:28 pm »
I'm here more often than not, and could help with staff-y things.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Mauron

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »
I do more reading than posting, but I am here daily barring unusual circumstances.

Unfortunately I may be more mentally unstable than the insane monkey... is that problem?
Mauron wuz here.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 09:21:11 pm »
As an incentive to encourage people who are Not Me™ to enlist themselves, I offer my own humble services. :p

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 06:06:20 am »

~DS

We played this game before, Kiyoshi was the DM remember?   :P

I will say the one thing I miss is acess to the underground lair.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 02:54:00 pm »
We played this game before, Kiyoshi was the DM remember?   :P

I will say the one thing I miss is acess to the underground lair.
I was a mod before, not a staff member. Staffing involves a lot less drama. You approve things, discuss changes to the site, that kinda thing.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:26:32 pm »
I've poked around here a while. If there's things I'm somehow capable of doing, I'll listen to ideas.
I have a blog and forums. Ask me for details. Contributors are welcome and highly encouraged!

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »

~DS
I second DarknessSavior's proposal! :) Not that it means anything coming from me. :-\
And I'll leave it at that!

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »
I might be interested in becoming a mod if I'm able to moderate as I see fit.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:08:20 am »
Moderation decision is usually based on discussion between mods, unless it's something as obvious as a ROM link violation.

I... found that out the hard way... the first report I got. :P
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 11:15:34 am »
Let's just say the era of lone ranger moderation is over and leave it at that.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 09:03:08 am »
Danke and Mauron have been selected for moderation.

We're still looking for site staff members. Unfortunately, the few of you that volunteered here did not have any/many submission contributions. This may suggest you aren't very knowledgeable about the site's submission guidelines and forms, or aren't passionate enough about the site to contribute. Either of which would be undesirable. If that generalization is made in error, let me know.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • What's a ThunderCat?
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:52 pm »
How badly do you need help? I'm not looking for a full-time job, but I can do some grunt work if you just need somebody to screen submissions.

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:21 pm »
DS has no job and is looking for some quiet responsibility. He's trustworthy too. I think he'd make a good staffer.

I have nothing to say for myself though. :P
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
If you really need someone, maybe I'll offer to lend a hand, but no guarantees.

I always found that submission stuff to be a pain ass especially when I didn't feel like writing adequate descriptions etc. and had to resubmit my stuff multiple times until it was acceptable.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 07:13:45 pm »
What exactly is involved in being with the staff? From the few submissions I've made, the process seems (to me) to be "sit on a submission for a few days, then click Approve". :)

Is it a terribly large amount of work? If so, how? Are all patches and utilities tested before being added? Do the documents go through some kind of vetting process? And if there are problems, what's the extent of corrections that can be made on the staff's part?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 12:08:30 pm »
How badly do you need help? I'm not looking for a full-time job, but I can do some grunt work if you just need somebody to screen submissions.

What exactly is involved in being with the staff? From the few submissions I've made, the process seems (to me) to be "sit on a submission for a few days, then click Approve".

As described above, the position entails screening, responding to contact staff inquiries, and quite a bit of staff discussion. Discussion happens often over whether submissions are in scope, meet the guidelines, have technical problems, or to see if anyone understands what the submission is when descriptions are vague. Those kinds of things are an everyday or every other day occurrence it seems. Discussion participation is vital to timely handling.

Is it a terribly large amount of work? If so, how? Are all patches and utilities tested before being added? Do the documents go through some kind of vetting process? And if there are problems, what's the extent of corrections that can be made on the staff's part?

Perhaps other staff members can chime in to best answer the amount of work. It varies with quality of submissions and frequency of staff inquiries, submissions, and discussions.

Everything is inspected or looked at, but not required to be tested. We used to do that until absolutely nobody wanted to do it, and that was just for hacks. That's extremely time consuming as you might imagine with potentially 10s of submissions per day for a few days straight. The full extent of corrections can be made by a staff member if they choose. If you get a poor submission that does not meet guidelines, you may choose to correct it all, or reject it.

We give the freedom for staff to check and correct as deeply as desired from a motivated individual, however actual requirements are minimal to be in line with the pursuit of eliminating staff involvement and bottleneck as much as possible on the site (and the inevitable burn-out you will reach from deep testing and correcting hundreds of submissions).

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 02:49:28 am »
We give the freedom for staff to check and correct as deeply as desired from a motivated individual, however actual requirements are minimal to be in line with the pursuit of eliminating staff involvement and bottleneck as much as possible on the site (and the inevitable burn-out you will reach from deep testing and correcting hundreds of submissions).

Hah, no doubt. :)