logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80620020 visitors

Author Topic: About Persona 3 FES and the Answer.  (Read 2228 times)

vivify93

• Change your way, it’s gonna be alright…
    • View Profile
About Persona 3 FES and the Answer.
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:47 am »
Hello! I've recently resumed my quest in Shin Megami Tensei: Persona for the PSP, and I'm of course going to follow with the Persona 2s, Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment. After that I of course want to move on to Persona 3. However, I don't know which version to get - Persona 3 FES or Persona 3 Portable? It's a very difficult decision.

Initially, I wanted to buy Persona 3 FES for the Answer, but now I'm not so sure. I've heard from multiple trusted sources that it's tedious to play through, it adds nothing, it's mainly to showcase a character named Aigis, it's depressing, it ruins the characters, and it generally isn't worth it. This indicates that perhaps P3P would be a more enjoyable experience.

Since you all at RHDN are avid gamers and I often trust your opinions, I figured I'd come here to ask: is Persona 3 FES' "The Answer" worth my time, or should I stick with P3P?

Thanks in advance and have a lovely day! :D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:38:04 am by vivify93 »
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

...We call it romhacking.net. ;)

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
Re: About Persona 3 FES and the Answer.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:22:27 am »
Quote from: romscout
P3P, you're welcome.

There ya go.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:10 am »
Yeah. I enjoyed the main game.  "The Answer" was tedious and took all the bullshit gameplay mechanics from the main game and emphasized them (lots of instant kill enemies and a difficulty jump that just ruined the experience.).  I bailed more than halfway through it.  I read a synopsis of the storyline to see what I missed, and yeah, it's very depressing.  What a waste.

I don't know what the portable offers that's different from the vanilla Persona 3 release without "The Answer".
So the real answer here is to stay away from "The Answer". 
When Reason Fails

vivify93

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:40 am »
Thank you very much, everyone! Looks like I'll be getting P3P and looking forward to romancing dudes. :D
[...] right here we have an example of the capacity human beings have for altruistic behavior...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 08:19:19 am »
There are quite a few differences between FES and P3P, and not all of them are good:

http://www.gamesradar.com/persona-3-versus-persona-3-portable/

For example, almost all the anime cutscenes in the PS2 version are reduced to still frames in the PSP version.  The 3D environments in the PS2 version are reduced to isometric static environments in the PSP version.  Yet with the PSP version you have the option of playing as a girl lead, and you gain full control over your individual team mates instead of AI control of them.  There are lots of little differences beyond those.  To boil it down to its base essence... if you're more for the presentation do the PS2 version, but for better gameplay, the PSP version is choice.

vivify93

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:54:52 am »
...I still think I'm gonna do P3P. I'd rather have the improved gameplay, and it's not like I can't YouTube the anime scenes, right?

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:20:44 pm »
I'll put it this way, when I play Persona 3, it'll be via the P3P version.  But, like you, I want to play them all sequentially.  And considering I haven't played a single Persona yet, well.. that may be quite a while.

At any rate, this is the best P3P review I've come across:

http://www.gamecritics.com/mike-bracken/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-portable-review
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 02:26:13 pm by DankPanties »

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »
Persona 3 was decent for the most part. Fuck Tartarus, though. No way in hell is climbing up a 260+ floor gauntlet with only six design variations fun.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 05:52:50 am »
Really if someone hacked p3 FES so you can control the party members I would suggest it entirely. The psp version is just to lame when it comes to visuals, its all still frames for everything and no town exploration.

jmurjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:18:47 am »
Is there any other major changes besides gameplay and anime scenes from the PS2 to PSP editions? Are there any story differences that make you want to play both? I am thinking about the PS2 version but got to finish some other Persona games. Still cannot believe I never beat Persona on Playstation. I remember buying that game when it first came out. It was pretty cool.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 08:20:08 am »
There's a female MC, who has her own social links (mostly male party members) Fusion spells are much harder to pull off, the dungeon design (backgrounds) are slightly  different.  The big draw is the FeMC route, and full-party control, you sacrafice the answer, the presentation, and a few other elements. There's also a super easy, and super hard mode to make up for the party control, but without being able to abuse fusion spells it's a real pain. Whether it's worth it to have the guys as s.links, and the other stuff is up to the individual, I vastly prefer FES.

The ending can be very slightly different, and it takes P4's approach to s.links, with only Star on FeMC's being able to be broken. This means it's actually possible to max all 21 without a day-by-day guide... Kinda.

If you're new to the series or play P4 first it's very hard to go back to FES. Also  FES just got a PS2 classic release so if you've got a PS3 you can grab it for $10 anytime. Go with whichever you feel better about and good luck.

Edit - Revalations Persona was hackjob, and that one you're almost 100% better of going with the psp remake. Although people have complained about the remixed music.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 08:35:38 am by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 03:38:42 pm »
You won't hear any complaints from me. If anything, I was pissed that Persona 2 didn't have a fully remixed soundtrack. >_>
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 03:51:54 pm »
I always find remixed soundtracks to be a mixed bag of nuts. Unless the new version is insanely superior to the original, people aren’t that likely to like it. If it’s just as good, it makes people wonder why bother; if it’s worse (and sometimes it really is), it’s annoying.

The problem is that when it was new and people liked it you were probably already trying to put out the best product you could....
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Mew seeker

• What are you doing there!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:21:50 pm »
The Answer wasn't as bad as people make it be
althought it's much more of a dungeon crawler.
Pick a few Ose for fusing to make your life easier. : )
In several boss battles, it comes down to
"Do I try do hit a weakness and risk the boss evading it or do I go for something less strong that will hit?"
Save your Attack Mirrors for the Neo Minotaur. You'll thank me later. : P
And maybe also that Maya boss that summons Yotuns. That one was brutal. X D
Although I have heard the Yotun could be inflicted with some sort of status ailment.
I have not confirmed it but if it's true, that could make things much easier.

Also, keep everything that resist/null elements.
That one is true for the main game as well.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:31:16 am »
I always find remixed soundtracks to be a mixed bag of nuts. Unless the new version is insanely superior to the original, people aren’t that likely to like it. If it’s just as good, it makes people wonder why bother; if it’s worse (and sometimes it really is), it’s annoying.

The problem is that when it was new and people liked it you were probably already trying to put out the best product you could....

I like how series like Wild Arms, an Star Ocean handles remixed tracks, paying homage to places or events without going overboard with it (usually).

I wanted to mention P3p has some added boss fights, in a kind of mini dungeon thing. Most are harder versions of the full moon bosses.

Edit - I didn't know P2 didn't remix tracks, that's one I've never played, still have my PS1 copy, my very first taste of the series. The geek in me is both sad and happy the series is getting so much love here in the US, and the west.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:41:48 am by Next gen Cowboy »
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

vivify93

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:02:17 am »
Revalations Persona was hackjob, and that one you're almost 100% better of going with the psp remake. Although people have complained about the remixed music.
Revelations: Persona is horrible. (Though I do love Shin Megami Tensei: Persona for PSP.) Not for the translation or the Americanizations or anything, but solely for the battle music. I know music is entirely subjective, but this was awful to me. One of the comments on the YouTube page said, "Ah the good old days were the music inspired you to fight and not [auto-battle]." Personally, this did the exact opposite thing of making me want to fight. I would get up from my keyboard, set my team to auto-battle, and leave the room until the fight was done. And if we died? Thank god, no more Persona and its awful battle theme today.

Literally all other music in the game is good aside from the battle theme. If we could put a version of a Lone Prayer into Revelations: Persona that had no lyrics, I might consider trucking through that one again. Not that I mind lyrics in my fighting songs; I just don't think it'd have much of a place in a mostly lyric-less setting.

Well, that and how everyone said "Purse Ana" instead of "Persona" in the voicing. That was pretty terrible.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 04:42:06 pm by vivify93 »

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:29:49 am »
I don't think lyrics in battle songs are a good idea, insofar as said battle song is often repeated.  Hearing vocals being sung over and over in every battle is tantamount to tedium in the highest degree.  I also don't like repetitious battle cries by player characters in random battles.  FLAMING DRAGON HAMMER STRIKE! FLAMING DRAGON HAMMER STRIKE! FLAMING DRAGON HAMMER STRIKE! FLAMING DRAGON HAMMER STRIKE! FLAMING DRAGON HAMM-SHUT THE FUCK UP  *mute*

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:29:03 am »
Makes me think of Tales of Phantasia...

MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN! MAJIN-KEN!

(Majin-Ken Mastered)

(whew)
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 01:56:04 pm »
The Answer wasn't as bad as people make it be
althought it's much more of a dungeon crawler.
Pick a few Ose for fusing to make your life easier. : )
In several boss battles, it comes down to
"Do I try do hit a weakness and risk the boss evading it or do I go for something less strong that will hit?"
Save your Attack Mirrors for the Neo Minotaur. You'll thank me later. : P
And maybe also that Maya boss that summons Yotuns. That one was brutal. X D
Although I have heard the Yotun could be inflicted with some sort of status ailment.
I have not confirmed it but if it's true, that could make things much easier.

Also, keep everything that resist/null elements.
That one is true for the main game as well.

I actually liked for answer, the add on is short and while its mostly dungeon the pay off for every dungeon is great. It basically explores the characters pasts and shows why they unlocked their personas (Tragedy) and fits Junpei in the group more by exploring his back story as well. It also gets heart rending that friends become enemies in a way most games don't do it (Most games have them betray you, this game has it so you are still friends you just have different goals.).
Its really deep and I like it a lot.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 02:29:06 pm »
You haven't live until you've experienced the joy that is Gadwin's secret move!  Dragon King Slice!  Oh, Grandia, you and your voice acting.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 11:14:34 pm by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36