logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

88361956 visitors

Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII is quite challenging.  (Read 16390 times)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy VII is quite challenging.
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 12:47:31 pm »
Indeed, the debate has been done to death...  but we enjoy it, right?

FFIV is much stronger in terms of story, and I suspect that is why most prefer it to FFV.  I know I do.  Something just never quite clicks with FFV, at least for me.  It's definitely a throwback to the games that really don't have a strong plot, other than "crystals evil save world blah blah blah".  FFIX is...  well, I don't know what to say about it.  I know that about at the end of disc 2, I was ready for it to be over.  It may be more consistent, but it's just not as fun for me...  although I suspect I would feel the same about FFVII if I did a full replay (as opposed to ten hours and dropping it).  FFVIII was my favorite, but it's been a long time since I played through, so who knows?  Maybe it would fall victim as well.  (And actually, it did, as I was doing all the optional stuff, and about the middle of disc 3, I just said "screw it" and made a concerted end-run.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 01:04:38 pm »
FFV and FFIX are much the same in that they start strong, get wobbly mid-way, and end weak.  I still have not played FFVIII, but I really should do so sometime this year.  Of all the PS1 FF games, it seems the most controversial.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 01:26:41 pm by DankPanties »

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »
FFV and FFIX are much the same in that that start strong, get wobbly mid-way, and end weak.  I still have not played FFVIII, but I really should do so sometime this year.  Of all the PS1 FF games, it seems the most controversial.
I literally just put together a PSP-ized version for my cousin.  She's playing through it again now.  (I even had to specifically mod her PSP, which I haven't done in a while.  3.71 M33 wasn't going to cut it, so I got her up to 6.35 or whatever is the newest CFW.  I'll also mention that the tools for building the EBOOTs tend to be very sketchy at times for multi-disc games *ahem*PSX2PSP 1.4.2*ahem*.)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 02:02:21 pm »
Well I personally felt that FFXXII was a far stronger game than FF XXVI. But what do I know? I'm just a time traveler.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 02:13:56 pm »
Is that FFXX-II vs. FFXX-VI, or perhaps FFX-XII vs. FFX-XVI?  Or did you get it right the first time?  ;)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 02:15:44 pm »
The way this industry is flailing I'd be surprised to see the Final Fantasy series get that far.

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 02:35:15 pm »
This is of course after SquEnix-NamTec is absorbed by WB/EA.

I should also mention that they've evolved into FPRPG Sports simulators, but have lost none of that early 2010's Final Fantasy Charm.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:40:19 pm by Corsair »

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »
And you buy unlock new story chapters by micro transaction. The base game (level 1-5 and the first 2 dungeons) is of course free.

Now all it needs is Russian terrorists setting off nukes and the market is secure.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 03:38:14 pm »
The way this industry is flailing I'd be surprised to see the Final Fantasy series get that far.
Not to mention all the rumors about locking out used games (or requiring a constant Internet connection).  I don't know if they're just floating trial balloons, or are actually serious about it, but they're asking for another crash if they do that.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »
Indeed, the debate has been done to death...  but we enjoy it, right?

FFIV is much stronger in terms of story, and I suspect that is why most prefer it to FFV.  I know I do.  Something just never quite clicks with FFV, at least for me.  It's definitely a throwback to the games that really don't have a strong plot, other than "crystals evil save world blah blah blah".

I can't decide if I think that everyone has played them and feels this way, or if it is just a perpetuated stereotype.

Its true that Final Fantasy V is more rooted in classic fantasy/mythology, but classic style does not equal no plot. The claim that Final Fantasy IV has more depth or plot is crazy to me. The classes in FFIV are cookie cutter and can't be altered, I dont hate it, but back in 1999 when I started playing them all, it was the last one I finished. To me it felt very melodramatic with every character seemingly sacrifising themselves, I guess I just didnt really connect with any of the characters except Cicil and Rydia.

On top of that the color palette is pretty jareing in comparison with V and VI, and the music got a lot better in V and VI too.

I encourage people who feel V has no story to play it again, the middle is slow but the rest is great.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 03:39:22 pm »
This means that those three writers apparently decided that FF7's story should be emotionally immature and romantically overwrought.
This. Again.
Because, you are so much a mature, grown up and serious guy. If that's the case then why do you still play video games in the first place ? Gaming is an immature way for kids and retarded teenagers to spend time. But no you continue to spend time hacking them.

And now I just remember this thread have already been made, but yeah.... people are people they won't change no matter what argument we put in and they'll continue to complain to things they could just ignore, but prefer trolling just for the sake of trolling and feeling so superior to everything.

PS: By all means this is no personal offense, just some mockery. (before anyone accuses me of inappropriate behavior). My comment doesn't apply only to the author of the quote but to a group of people in general.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 03:43:14 pm »
Because, you are so much a mature, grown up and serious guy. If that's the case then why do you still play video games in the first place ?

Because not all video games are pompous overrated drivel such as FF7 is.

Gaming is an immature way for kids and retarded teenagers to spend time.

I never said that, nor would I insinuate it.  If you'd read even a 100th of my over 3000 posts on this board, you'd know I don't feel that way.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:24 pm »

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 03:58:12 pm »
Words

Don't like, overreact or anything.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2012, 04:01:42 pm »

Yeah... everybody has their sacred cow.  I bet somewhere out there is a guy who'll defend the merits of Mystery Quest to the bitter end.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2012, 04:09:50 pm »
I just saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night (the Swedish version from 2009). With the bar set there, I challenge you, Bregalad, to illustrate to me how the "story" in Final Fantasy VII is in any way emotionally gripping or suspenseful. The whole thing (FF7) is a string of anime cliches from beginning to end. It has all the tender sweetness of frozen strawberries, with none of the blender-specific utility.

Unless, IDK, somebody found a way to make a Playstation Disc smoothie.

- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2012, 04:19:34 pm »

jmurjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2012, 04:21:42 pm »

Unless, IDK, somebody found a way to make a Playstation Disc smoothie.

Just put the whole disc in the blender. Works like a charm lol!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »
Mmh, I have never heard of this Girl with the Dragon Tatoo thing so I can't take the challenge (after a quick google search it seems this is a book), and yeah of course it's your right to like something else and not be a fan of FF7.

Now it is obvious that FF7 doesn't have the best storyline ever from any media, especially if you compare it to books or films which are completely storyline driven medias as opposed to games where the story line is only one of the many features (therefore chances are the story line of a game won't be too complex - and I personally think it's not a bad thing).

FF7 probably doesn't have the best storyline of any videogames as for today, but back in 1997 what were storyline in games like ?
Some western games like Myst or Riven had somewhat complex storylines but I never managed to read them because it's all too long, and I'm more interested in playing than reading a load of text (I know some people feel the other way around and that's their right).

Most games had a story line like you should rescure something, you should fetch some items, oh the villain you just defeated was only manipulated by an even greater vilain, etc...
No matter what you guys says, FF7 is completely different. Yes the main goal is eventually to defeat a villain however you discover the environment setup little by little and the story line is a complex puzzle that you discover in a strange order (lots of flashbacks). You don't even know who the hero really is until the last part of the game, and all party characters have their own background story.
Also all this story is told not only by text, but also images, music, and sometimes movies. This makes it interactive and interesting to follow and accessible even to teenagers who are looking for a game more complex than kid's games, but not too complex either (like I when I played the game for the 1st time).
This was extremely developer back in 1997, not many games featured that and that's why so many people, including myself, praises FF7 for it's great story. This doesn't mean the story in itself is interesting (if you'd take the whole gameplay out the story would not be very interesting) but it help to maintain some interest in the game and it's universe.

Yeah I know I'm just feeding their troll and that in the end those guys are always right no matter what, but I can't refrain from arguing even if I know it's completely pointless. It's more their attitude that pisses me off. If it would be like : "Yeah Final Fantasy games aren't my favourite I think XXX game is way better than them." or wathever I'd be fine but here it's just plain non-constructive trolling.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:26 pm »
I can't decide if I think that everyone has played them and feels this way, or if it is just a perpetuated stereotype.
Guess I just do a good job of fitting into that stereotype.  Oh, I played it.  And there's nothing amazing there, story-wise.  As is the case with most JRPGs.  Actually, probably almost any RPG.

As for depth, I didn't claim that it doesn't have it.  With the job system, it is a deeper game.  I just don't think it's a better game, at least as an overall package.  At any rate, if I had to pick only one FF game, it'd be VI.