logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

88447644 visitors

Author Topic: TLDR Lets Play's!  (Read 3210 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: TLDR Lets Play's!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:32 pm »
Here's a question, should I play the original SNES games or is there a preferable hack that fixes any serious bugs? Any localization issues as well?

I'm also going to play the proto version of FFII for NES, & the translated FFIII on a PowerPak. I used to scoff at FF fans. :-\
For FFIV, I recommend the PSX version. It has a VWF for the dialog, and is basically the same as the SNES version, with some new terminologies. The GBA version has a better translation, but the game mechanics are screwed up during the port (specifically lags during battle, and the graphics are off). The DS game has the best translation, but it takes the most liberty with the way the original game worked.

If you really want to wait? Wait until my FFIV hack is done. :P

FFV is best on GBA. No slowdowns, the graphics aren't that badly done, and the translation is awesome. There's a patch here that'll restore the soundtrack to sound more like the SNES version, too.

FFVI, same. GBA has the best version as far as I know. If you really want to experience what everyone else did in the 90s? Play the SNES version, it's still great.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2012, 12:06:48 pm »
FF4 DS's translation is just fancier. It's not 'better'. FF4 Advance's is the most accurate translation and it's still kind of bad; here's my non-dialogue translation and I have an in-progress dialogue translation, too.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
If you liked FF1, I highly suggest you try the SNES trilogy: IV-V-Vi. They're all amazing games in their own right.

~DS

This. ^

Also, me and a bunch of friends did the lets play last night of Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.
It's uploading now.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 05:39:39 pm »
FF4 DS's translation is just fancier. It's not 'better'. FF4 Advance's is the most accurate translation and it's still kind of bad; here's my non-dialogue translation and I have an in-progress dialogue translation, too.
No offense meant, but you really need to work on your Japanese before you start translating. I could throw out a bunch of nitpicks at your item list (like the fact that you seem to think that の almost always equates to "'s" -- unless of course the official translation did that, in which case you change it).

But here's a better example:

カイン「そんなに じふんをせめるな。 へいかにも おかんがえがあってのことだ。」
Cain: “Don’t get suicidal on me. His Majesty’s ill mood will surely pass.”

セシル「カイン おまえが うらやましいよ。」
Cecil: “You’re jealous, Cain.”

This says:

Kain: You shouldn't blame yourself for that. Surely His Majesty had a reason for issuing such orders.

Cecil: I envy you, Kain.

Your writing is good, don't get me wrong. But it doesn't seem like you understand the grammar or some of the vocab. Japanese is a highly contextual language. You can't just throw random lines out there like "You're jealous, Cain". Look at the next line, where Kain starts to give his back story. Does that sound like it would follow the previous line the way you wrote it? No. Cecil is saying he's jealous of Kain for being able to be so optimistic.

~DS

Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Kiyoshi Aman

• Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 06:00:30 pm »
None taken. I didn't say I was good at translating (though your criticism on the non-dialogue portion is a bit misplaced—I use apostrophe-S sparingly, and usually only when it's a proper noun; my rule of thumb, more or less, was whether the thing being referred to was a person, whether by name or title.). And yeah, grammar & vocabulary is my weak point. (Disclaimer: I've had the entirety of the present script up 'til Talking Time: Baron spot-checked, precisely because I knew I'd miss something.)

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:57 pm »
This really isn't relevant to my lets play's, or "lets play" in general.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »
It may not be relevant, but since when has that ever stopped us before?  ;)
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 11:47:26 am »
This really isn't relevant to my lets play's, or "lets play" in general.

Too bad.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 02:12:42 pm »
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 04:06:09 am »
Here's a preview of the intro of our next Sonic game lets play:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6xSJMzuoY

I made this video.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 02:10:36 pm »
Hi guys, me and Azen have finished our Lets Play Together of Sonic Generations. We're now moving on to Sonic Adventure and later on to it's sequel. I'm playing through Sonic 1 and plan to play all the way up to Sonic 4. Sonic CD is suppose to be a prequel to Sonic 4: Episode 2 according to the developers of Sonic Team. I'm currently playing through a Sonic 1 hack that features Shadow as the main character; although, I'm not playing this hack because of Shadow alone. This hack offers the modern "Homing Attack" and "Jump Dash" in the first Sonic the Hedgehog game.
I want to play through them in this order:
Sonic 1
Sonic 2
Sonic CD
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Sonic 4 - Episode 1
Sonic 4 - Episode 2 (With Metal Sonic)