logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84279589 visitors

Author Topic: TLDR Lets Play's!  (Read 2994 times)

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
TLDR Lets Play's!
« on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:04 am »
Hi guys!
Me and a few buddies are doing a bunch of "Lets Plays" throughout the week and plan to upload a video almost every day (until we burn out)! All of our videos will be 1080p as well, we've all agreed that we should have pristine quality, or no video at all.
We're all just a bunch of nerds friends who've all wanted to do lets plays, but never congregated long enough to sit down and do it.
If you're interested in any of these games that we're playing, feel free to subscribe. We have a few rules that we follow for some of these "Lets Plays". Friday, Saturday and Sunday follow the below rules.
Our Channel!
-Masters Rule-
One Legitimate Gameover = End of Lets play

-Hardcore-
A Diablo 2 reference. One death = end of lets play.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:50:50 pm by Zeemis »

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
Re: TLDR Lets Play's!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:23:13 pm »
I predict a meltdown on Thursday.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
SO3 doesn't get too hard until the last third of the game.  Then it's all like, "You're goin' down, punk."  And you die.  A lot.  Unless you exploit the crafting system, which is often inscrutable, time-consuming, and generally not fun.  The really sad part is that the game is quite fun up until they ratchet things up.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:29:54 pm »
I didn't mean too difficult. I meant too boring.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:27 pm »
I didn't mean too difficult. I meant too boring.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:40 pm »
Eh, to each their own.  I enjoyed it for quite a while, despite the flaws.  It certainly wasn't as good as SO2, though.

EDIT:  Also, if you want a really quick LP, go for The 7th Saga;)  (And actually, there's a really good one (non-video) over at GameSpite.  Fascinating stuff, to be sure.)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 02:02:46 pm by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 02:23:37 pm »
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I feel I must say something here.  I have never understood the allure of "Let's Play" videos.  To play a game vicariously through the unseen hands of another?  How boring!  To me at least.  It seems like a complete waste of time, when one could be playing the game themselves instead.  I do agree with small gameplay videos on YouTube for the purpose of demonstration.  Or edited videos used to briefly review a game.   But who wants to sit around and watch an entire game get played from beginning to end, via fractured YouTube video sequences?  It seems like a complete waste of your life to me.  I've never understood the mindset of the supposed demographic.  Each to their own I suppose...

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »
I manage to play doom 3 that way back when my computer couldnt handle it. Or when Clock Tower kept glitching and wanted to figure out why one of the tracks was called kerosene.
_-|-_

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 03:51:38 pm »
I don't watch much Let's Play stuff.  But every once in a while, I like to read them, especially on games that I've wanted to beat before, and just didn't end up investing the time.  Like the aforementioned The 7th Saga.  A good Let's Play will possibly clue you in to tricks that you may not have realized, so in some ways, it might be better just for games that you've actually either played or beaten.  (There's one on Thousand Arms that is somewhat interesting as well.  I've got the game, but I've never really gotten past the first couple of hours.)

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:36 pm »
I also read an LP for a dumb fallout char. Hilrious read, and saved me some playtime. Let's not forget about those DoW war journals.
_-|-_

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:28:39 pm »
Looking forward to Treasures of Rudra. :beer:

I was following Dr. Failure's Let's Play, but he never finished it. :'(
And I'll leave it at that!

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 04:45:55 pm »
SO3 doesn't get too hard until the last third of the game.  Then it's all like, "You're goin' down, punk."  And you die.  A lot.  Unless you exploit the crafting system, which is often inscrutable, time-consuming, and generally not fun.  The really sad part is that the game is quite fun up until they ratchet things up.
This is all you need to know about SO3.  Very well said.
When Reason Fails

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 06:30:49 pm »
Not to be a negative Nancy, but I feel I must say something here.  I have never understood the allure of "Let's Play" videos.  To play a game vicariously through the unseen hands of another?  How boring!  To me at least.  It seems like a complete waste of time, when one could be playing the game themselves instead.  I do agree with small gameplay videos on YouTube for the purpose of demonstration.  Or edited videos used to briefly review a game.   But who wants to sit around and watch an entire game get played from beginning to end, via fractured YouTube video sequences?  It seems like a complete waste of your life to me.  I've never understood the mindset of the supposed demographic.  Each to their own I suppose...
See, while I somewhat agree with you, I'm also the kind of person who likes to sit in a room with a friend while he/she plays through a game I've already beaten (provided it's a game I really like). It's interesting to see a game played by another person to see how they react to it.

Also, my girlfriend adds that she watches LPs of horror games because she's too scared to play them herself. Which is why I'm playing through Silent Hill right now. :P

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 07:48:01 pm »
I'll be sure to annoy you all purposely with my commentary on my Treasure of the Rudras lets play.
Speaking of that game, here's the first episode. Make sure to watch it in 1080p.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9Yk_ItT2M

If you like or dislike, please rate either way. If you disliked it, could you write in the comments why?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:10:32 am by Zeemis »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 11:07:19 pm »
For what it's worth, you have the "s" in the wrong place. It's Treasure of the Rudras, because there are multiple Rudras and each has a single treasure (a Jade stone.)

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 12:13:32 am »
RPG games are low tier on my list. (Seriously, I've only ever played one RPG so far!) Yet I love the story aspect (& the music) of these games. So I watch let's plays. Chrono Trigger will be an exception though; I'm gonna play that one.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2012, 01:25:17 am »
If you liked FF1, I highly suggest you try the SNES trilogy: IV-V-Vi. They're all amazing games in their own right.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Jedi QuestMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 02:19:54 am »
Here's a question, should I play the original SNES games or is there a preferable hack that fixes any serious bugs? Any localization issues as well?

I'm also going to play the proto version of FFII for NES, & the translated FFIII on a PowerPak. I used to scoff at FF fans. :-\

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 05:30:22 am »
Also, my girlfriend adds that she watches LPs of horror games because she's too scared to play them herself. Which is why I'm playing through Silent Hill right now. :P

This is actually why I've become a fan of the Silent Hill series. First I was forced to play it, but then I began to like it. Girls... :p Though everything beyond SH3/4 (I actually liked 4) wasn't really too good.

I love SO3. I had no problems with the difficulty although I didn't use the crafting system much on my first playthrough. But by using it the right way, you can even single-handedly (e.g. Fate only) go through the game. And there's the other difficulty levels for even more challenge. That's why I like the game; but I can see why a lot of people would disagree. I have to admit though that the crafting system of SO2 was far superior. The one in SO3 is just too random.

By the way, what's the point of 1080p if the game isn't nearly in that resolution? I didn't hear much difference in the audio, either.
But otherwise, nice selection of games, in my opinion.

Zeemis

• ジーミス
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2012, 09:10:40 am »
Fixed.