logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80554099 visitors

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: War Room Challenge - Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising  (Read 5088 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Xenesis

Advance Wars 2 - Black Hole rising was the second of the quirky turn based strategy wargames that got released outside of Japan on the Gameboy Advance. While not as well recognised as its partner series Fire Emblem, it has a cult following of some extremely skilled players.

The War Room challenge is actually the second attempt at a full challenge mode for the game, with the first attempted in the very early days when the map format wasn't even known so it was mostly substitutions and new goals for maps. This hack is a much fuller implementation of what was aimed at a good six years ago, aided by a huge understanding of how the game works and all the hacking advancements that have happened over that period.

The original intention for the project was to develop a new War Room challenge for Advance Wars 2 in about two months with some fun maps and a few new challenge. Instead, it has turned into something that’s taken over a year to put together, complete with a large amount of refinements and gameplay additions. Lots of music, graphics, maps and assembly code were generated solely for the hack. The more enthusiastic members of the Advance Wars community were also involved - helping with graphics, map design, utilities and playtesting.

Complete with new COs from the AW series, plenty of challenging maps and a bundle of hand-coded new features, this is a definitive hack to play for Advance Wars fans (or people who like turn based strategy games!). All the challenges present are hand-crafted by Xenesis and many, many members of the Advance Wars community with over a year’s worth of refinement.

Game Features:
  • 30 New War Room Maps to play on - Some remixes of existing maps, most brand new from the AW Community.
  • Tutorial map with summary of game rules, scoring and new hack features.
  • Each map has an info dossier with the par time and author of the map.
  • Each CO has unique combat abilities in the War Room setting. Some COs from Advance Wars Dual Strike and Days of Ruin make an appearance as well!
  • Improved high score support - The game records S-ranks achieved on each map with each CO.
  • Improved status screens - The unit status screen now shows CO abilities more accurately and with more stats.
  • Pre-deployed maps provide unique army compositions depending on your CO selection - a feature returning from Advance Wars 1!
  • New deterministic weather rules for fairer scoring!
  • Extended Status Screen - Shows your rank in progress and whether you have S-Ranked this map with the current CO.
  • Improved Enemy AI - Enemy COs no longer use CO powers when they’d have no reason to use them and use them more intelligently!
  • Unlockables - Earn more COs by scoring S Ranks on maps!
  • Play against or as the series’ evil villains - Caulder, Sturm and Von Bolt

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://forums.warsworldnews.com/viewtopic.php?t=13051)

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: ROM Hacks: War Room Challenge - Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 06:28:26 am »
Congrats on the release :beer:

I played it a bit yesterday, but I quickly noticed that I'm too rusty to have a chance of getting S rank even on the first few missions. It's been 4 years since I last played an AW game and that was Days of Ruin (which I felt was much easier already than the older ones due to lack of a hard campaign). But I'll try just beating the missions normally instead to build my skill back up.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
    • Wars World News - Project AW
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 06:40:25 am »
Thanks! It feels great to get a project done finally!

The S-Ranks were really designed with the better players in mind - some of my testers really pushed the boundaries for the best scores. But most players should be able to complete a good portion of the maps. There's a few corkers in there, but definitely doable!

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:28 am »
Some people seem to think I hate challenge, as I'm always bashing games that have a high amount of it. Well, not true. I dislike certain games or hacks for having an UNREASONABLE amount of challenge. For Example: the infamous Ninja Gaiden, sure it will frustrate me, but it's hard enough to be called "fun" hard, as each bit in the game has a trick to solving it. That's also cause it doesn't pull BS like auto-hitting moves or completely disrupting your view of the action like some games and hacks I've played. In other words, I can play a game that's hard, as long as it doesn't become near impossible.

That being said, I'm going to have fun with this hack. I'm a little rusty as well, but I do like a challenge. I already played it yesterday. After realizing Spann Island is the only returning map, I thought that would be the best place to start. And while it was, it took me 2 days to figure out the playing grounds were switched. You now control what would have been the enemy territory in the original. But even then, it's still pretty easy once you figure that out. ...Most of you probably did the first time. :(

I notice Caulder has this rouge pixel in front of him during full body shots. Is there a reason for this?

Congrats on the release :beer:

I played it a bit yesterday, but I quickly noticed that I'm too rusty to have a chance of getting S rank even on the first few missions. It's been 4 years since I last played an AW game and that was Days of Ruin (which I felt was much easier already than the older ones due to lack of a hard campaign). But I'll try just beating the missions normally instead to build my skill back up.

Honestly, I have yet to beat Days of Ruin. I cannot beat Forsythe for the life of me.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:37:04 am »
I notice Caulder has this rouge pixel in front of him during full body shots. Is there a reason for this?

It's not supposed to be there! I seem to have missed one. ._.

Can you please point it out?

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 01:27:42 pm »

Circled it in red. ...Sorry if the image quality sucks. Every file I upload seems to want to upload in Jpeg for some reason. And every file wants to compact themselves, too. It's nothing I'm doing.

Also: Is there a way to unlock the CO-editor? Or can I only edit through saved data from previously unpatched roms. Cause I noticed when I first patched the rom, I pathed a rom that had old save Data with Flak's pallet changed. And since Kindle replaces Flak in this game, her pallet was changed as well. And the reason I ask is because the Kindle recolor had a pretty normal looking alt pallet, as opposed to the same pallet as the original sprite, or even a glitched up sprite.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:40:32 pm by Plint Michigan »

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:54:27 pm »
Awesome job, thanks for this!

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:23 pm »
Yikes! I cannot beat Mial's Cape for the life of me. You're put in a proximity too close to each other, and the opponent has a huge advantage. If you were farther apart, I could see this being possible, but there's just no way to set up a strong enough offense, and no matter how much defense you send out, you're just running in circles.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 06:14:42 pm »
Mial's cape is a tricky map to do well on. If you're struggling to win it, I'd recommend Kindle, Jess, Lash, Sami or Olaf. Due to the high amount of Forests, Sonja is pretty good here too.

The key is to use the forested path to the south and mix it up with B-Copters in your attack force. The forests make for an excellent artillery killzone (which keeps your unit costs down) to thin out his troops. The fact that there's a narrow ocean in the middle lets you run copters up and down between fronts, too. The layout of the bases means that Sensei doesn't guard his HQ very well at all - you can usually prod him to commit his forces to a side and then steal it from under him.

As far as changing colours go, I'll see what I can do about that in an update in the future - Caulder doesn't have any alt palettes at the moment. I have graphics to fix now anyway  :-[ :P

TigerKnee

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:47:57 am »
Can I assume there's only the War Room mode in this version and there's no way to play multiplayer?

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:51 am »
That would be correct. All the mods and CO balancing has been built around War Room only. If there's enough demand I might release an alternate patch with just the CO modifications, though.

TigerKnee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 11:46:36 am »
Well, just add me to that list though. This is about the only AW that has crossovers in a sense so it's unique in that regard.

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 05:32:28 am »
Fair enough!

Also, a player sent me this today. Thoroughly broke one of my maps. I laughed. :)

x0_000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:32 pm »
Hey Xen, if you need some alt palettes I can make some for you :D

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 05:48:31 pm »
I notice some of the maps have better AI than others. I was just playing the map Snow Day, a 1 on 2 map, and I noticed that Lash was more wasteful of her CO-Powers than in other maps. She also seemed to hold back with her units. Eventually I sent a NeoTank to her side of the map, and she had next to nothing in terms of defense. Taking her out was easy.

Sonja was a lot smarter than Lash, but once I beat Lash, Sonja was easy. Snow Day is the first map I have beaten in the hack besides the tutorial and the reversed Spann Island. But then again, I knew well enough to hide my long rangers in the forest and use forest as cover.

Also, I notice the map "Talysman" is spelled wrong, and "Frost Bight" has the wrong "Bite" in it. Is this on purpose?

Xenesis

• Syogun Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 09:09:46 pm »
Yeah, working with the AI was hard - there's a lot of complicated variables hidden behind a few options there. In the end I mostly used the settings that were most similar to the maps it had before.

And yes, the names are correct. Talysman is a remake of Talys Island - the first map in Fire Emblem. And, a bight is actually a coastal feature :)