logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

84247457 visitors

Author Topic: Finding Kanji's hex values for PS1 games  (Read 2597 times)

bunalz3

• View Profile
Finding Kanji's hex values for PS1 games
« on: March 22, 2012, 03:44:46 am »
I started this hacking stuff about a week ago (when I realised that it's possible to translate games as if it's a DIY, well a little).

Anyways, I've done quite a reading and experimented the table thing (did it by referring to satsu's & InVerse's guides).
Oh, the game I'm working on is Black/Matrix Cross (Disc 1).
For the table, I'm manually creating them as I can't get the tabular tool to display the kana (inputted 'あ' but got ',' instead).

After ensuring that I got the Kana Order System (gojuon) right and checked with the game, I proceeded next with finding the hex values for the Kanji. I know there are a lot of them, but I just want to know how exactly do I do that? I can't be possibly using tile editor (since it won't allow me to mess with PS1 games). Did numerous searches and 90% of them said, "go to romhacking.net"...so here I am asking this question (which I assume has not been asked since I couldn't find any in the search).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:24:22 pm by bunalz3 »
It's not easy to get things simple. It's not hard to make things difficult.

Romsstar

• View Profile
Re: Finding kanji hex values for psx games
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:41 am »
Give Windhex the Shift Jis Table we have in the Database, a lot of PSX games  use a similar system,
then let everything display as unicode there you go.

In case the Shift Jis table don't work take a dump of the memory,
and try to look for kana values in the windhex kana searcher.

Try that

bunalz3

• View Profile
Re: Finding Kanji's hex values for PS1 games
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 03:15:35 am »
In case the Shift Jis table don't work

Not sure if this [see image below] is what you meant by "not working" but I couldn't manage to view the Kana/Kanji in the sidebar in HexWind's table editor (even though I've already set the application to 'View Text Data as Unicode', and even though I was able to view the Shift-JIS table properly in MsWord).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:59:09 pm by bunalz3 »

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:14:26 am »
Tha game uses Shift-JIS codes? Are you sure?
Find the font to know what characters are used.

Romsstar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:17 am »
Not sure if this http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/580/tableeditorwindhex.jpg/is what you meant by "not working" but I couldn't manage to view the kana/kanji in the sidebar in the HexWind's table editor (even though I already set the application to "View Text Data as Unicode", and even though I was able to view the Shift-JIS table properly in MsWord).

One more question: How do I take a dump of the memory? (I do know the concept of script dumping, though).

Screw the table editor, check for the text in the main editor with unicode support enabled and make a screenshot what you can see there.

bunalz3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:13:29 am »
WindHex: 'Set to Unicode' view, 'MS Gothic Japanese' script.
Still none:

HexEdit: At least some names showed up as they should in the game:

Note: Both used the .BIN file of the game. Regarding the table that I tried to make (referring to HexWorkshop), I got ぁ=9F, and あ=A0...which were of a single-byte type instead of the double-byte type (Shift-JIS table).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:09:56 pm by bunalz3 »

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 12:01:34 pm »
Please show your table. And post an offset with japanese texts.

ぁ=9F ---> or 829F?
あ=A0 ---> or 82A0?

Try with "cp932-ascii.tbl" from this package: http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/5/7/2851431/CUE.rar

The game font:
Code: [Select]
file .......... SYSTEM.DAT
offset ........ 0x00083C
tile width .... 8 (found in 0x000834, 2 bytes low endian)
tile heigth ... 14 (found in 0x000836, 2 bytes low endian)
bpp ........... 2
tiles ......... 1872
size .......... 0xCCC0 (found in 0x000838, 4 bytes low endian)
                (tiles * width * heigth * 8 / bpp)

bunalz3

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 04:26:54 am »
With regard to my "table", I couldn't turn it into a real .TBL file :'( (and as a result, WindHex gave out lots of dots after loading the .BIN file). But after comparing the three different tables mentioned above, mine matched perfectly—I only managed to get the numbers, alphabet letters and some Hiragana (using satsu's gamesave method; done with HexEdit):

As for loading the table into WindHex, both the Shift-JIS and your UTF-8 tables gave almost the same result (very slight change). What was supposed to be an ぁ was being replaced by 縺. And not only that, every Hiragana wes replaced by numerous Kanji with the radical 糸...:banghead::

And just when I was about to lose my patience (I even tried modifying the tables), out of sudden, I finally picked the ASCII table, and WHAM! All the Kana were sitting there, displaying nicely (I actually tried the ASCII table last night, but the thing was, I scrolled down to see the texts (and I was equally disappointed), but I hadn't thought of searching the hex value of a font and changing the table from there since I had already pinpointed the hex values of certain fonts):

One headache's solved (that's great :happy:). However, I didn't find any dialogue scripts at all, and the stupid Kanji is still showing at random and bizarre places... I did try to use the savestate method as shown here [dead link], but I don't know if I'm doing it right since I could not view the .PIC file for goodness' sake (tried psxmem & executor, but to no avail).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:08:41 pm by bunalz3 »

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 04:58:52 am »
Using my ASCII table, NOT THE UTF8 TABLE, 99% similar as other sjis tables, and using the same offset in the ISO (*) ---> no problems found:

(*) Bad idea. It's better to work with the extracted files.

bunalz3

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 02:12:11 am »
Thank you for your replies.

By the way, did you find any readable texts in the editor? (because I didn't see any in-game dialogues; only rubbish—could it be that the fonts are compressed?).

On the other hand, I've said that I didn't find the 'あいうえお' before (and no it's not because I overlooked it—I was using a different PC. I used Win7 at home, and WinXP at our Engineering lab (...). Everything is the same for both cases, except that I could not view what I could with the WinXP PC when using my Win7 one).

So, at home I had to use a different editor (MadEdit—is there a way to make it use a specific table instead of just changing the encoding?) and it worked out okay, except that I still could not find any dialogues.

I tested Black/Matrix 00 and at least I found the data for the items, skills, accessories, etc. as well as the game's option menu. But no dialogues—wait, there is one (a prologue): 翼はおどる...裏切りの刃...blablabla.

What crucial thing I'm missing out? Maybe I should try translating the ones that have been translated first to understand further...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:42:15 pm by bunalz3 »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Devil Hackers' Nest
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 07:14:10 am »
Well, wow, another Black Matrix Cross project. IIRC, this makes three projects created just for this game.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

bunalz3

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 01:03:50 pm »
It's better to work with the extracted files.

Well, I did that and finally found the damn dialogues (which were in the SCENARIO.DAT file). But problems still persist—the fonts are not displayed correctly (I used WindHex on my Win7 PC):

For a comparison, these are the (first) dialogues as seen in the game:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 10:14:07 pm by bunalz3 »

CUE

• View Profile
    • Nasío pa'jakear
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 01:12:40 pm »
The text starts at an odd offset and Windhex needs an even offset to display correctly all. I think that's the problem.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 03:32:13 pm »
Well, wow, another Black Matrix Cross project. IIRC, this makes three projects created just for this game.

Well, let's hope somebody finish any of the project in any game of the serie for any system because if I am not wrong, there is not 1 game in english and I want to try that serie some day :p