logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78524311 visitors

Author Topic: A Mass Effect 3 fan fills an FTC complaint against EA!  (Read 8636 times)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
Re: A Mass Effect 3 fan fills an FTC complaint against EA!
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 12:01:06 pm »
This is probably relevant.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 12:21:06 pm »
Really a bad, bad move.  The "enabler gates" have opened.  Fanboys now will decry any studio's game's ending they don't agree with, and be like, "Why won't you change it?  Bioware did!  They're better than you Bethesda!"  This industry has officially gone to shit.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 12:58:57 pm »
Well...  while I'd like to agree with you (and to some degree I do), there's that old adage in business that "the customer is always right".  They're trying to recover from a PR fiasco, regardless of whether it was warranted or not.

It doesn't sound to me, though, that they're actually going to "change" the ending, instead just expanding on it.  Tying up some of those loose plot threads that they promised to clean up, and didn't.

EDIT:  And that reminds me...  Bethesda has already pulled a similar move in Fallout 3, and the ending actually did change.  And it wasn't free, either, coming as part of the Broken Steel expansion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:08:32 pm by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Snatcher

• Vereor Nox
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 01:20:33 pm »
This is probably relevant.

Quotes from source:

That outcry apparently had a serious effect at BioWare internally, as project lead Casey Hudson says the team has, "reprioritized [its] post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player."

but we sure hope it means we won't see other DLC packs delayed or scrapped as a result.

OOPS!
"This is a work of fiction. If you find any relation to real people, events, or locations, then you are obviously on crack."
-Kishimoto Masashi

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 01:25:47 pm »
It's wrong because it's insulting to the creator's original vision.  As a developer, there's no need to go back and rewrite anything simply because part of your audience didn't agree with it.  They're the players damn it, not the designers.  Boo hoo!  I don't like paying taxes can I get that fixed via DLC?

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »
I agree that it sets a dangerous precedent, but seriously, the whole selling point of the series was that our choices would matter all the way to the end, and ultimately, 1. what mattered most was how much time we spent playing multiplayer and 2. our final options didn't line up with anything we'd seen, heard, or done in the course of the trilogy: the whole story takes an arbitrary left turn into "bluh bluh robots are evil." Which has, by that point, been thoroughly established as a dirty lie.

I'm not a fan of stupid fan theories, but seriously, the only way any of it makes sense is if we assume that what's really happening is that Robot Cthulhu psychically drilling into Shepard's skull. I don't want "closure;" hell, I don't even want a "happy ending." I just want an ending that actually follows logically from the preceding story and doesn't come off as someone's techno-luddite screed.
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 02:54:45 pm »
Ignore Crap Effect and remind yourself with Fallout of the glory days of the genre instead. It's free for the next 2 days on GoG.com!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2012, 03:01:13 pm »
WOW.

I've said it before, but what the heck.  I would like to personally condone Fallout as my own personal favorite PC WRPG of all time.  Yeah, it's a little slow to get into at first perhaps.  The battle system is methodical and tactical.  So yeah, it all takes a little fore-patience.  But with patience, comes sweet, sweet reward.  This is a god among games, and if you let it, it will consume you.   Fallout taught me a lot about myself.  And should you finish it, you'll leave feeling like you've been through something more than just a pleasant waste of time.

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20:53 pm »
They also just released Assassin's Creed 1. Considering that Assassin's Creed 2 has some of the most horribly restrictive PC DRM ever devised by Satan, I can only consider this a good thing.

Viva la DRM-free future!
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »
Ignore Crap Effect and remind yourself with Fallout of the glory days of the genre instead. It's free for the next 2 days on GoG.com!
Yar!  (Why am I talking like a pirate?  It's free, and it's legit!)

It's very cool.  I have the disc version of both Fallout and Fallout 2, but getting the original to cooperate on Windows 7 is a bit of a hassle.  This is likely going to be the way to roll.  :D  Sometimes, GOG restores my faith in the industry a little.  :)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2012, 03:56:14 pm »
I have bought many games from GoG that I could easily have pirated.  Why?  Because their versions are generally future proof, and completely free of DRM.  The absence of DRM is the key selling point for me buying the game, ironically.  I've even re-bought games there that I already owned disc based versions of for this sole purpose.  Having the full game, plus patches, plus no DRM, in one setup file, with installation CRC error detection built in, just KICKS FUCKING ASS.  They are a paragon in the dire quagmire.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2012, 04:20:31 pm »
Yep.  They're not perfect, as some of the games can have issues even on modern operating systems, but they usually work great.  I picked up Arcanum, Freespace 2, and Outcast from there, among others.  And all this GOG talk just reminds me that I still haven't put any time into The Witcher.  And that the console version of The Witcher 2 is coming out very, very soon.  That's tempting to me because I've heard, despite the M11X being pretty good for most games, The Witcher 2 is a beast of a game.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:15:44 pm by SargeSmash »

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »
Good ole' Gaming made it easy for me to get my cousin on the other side of the country to buy and download Total Annihilation with me.

I could have walked him through pirating it, but it was just better and easier to show him the site. Its great for sharing with non technical gamer friends.

That said I still appriciate steam, but also like Desura, GoG, and Humble Bundle.

The only online service that seems like a bit of a rip off now is origin.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2012, 09:53:05 pm »
Direct2Drive can burn in hell.

kingofcrusher

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:20 pm »
I'm in the same boat with GOG; I used to just pirate old PC games when I wanted to play them. Now I just spend the $5-$10 on GOG and bypass the headache of cracks/keys entirely. It's easier for me, plus it makes me feel good to support a company that's trying to prove that if you place some trust in consumers their ethics will generally kick in and they'll behave a bit more honestly.

I think companies are starting to learn that the more you try to prevent people from pirating stuff (Apple being a big one, it was awesome when they removed DRM from iTunes downloads), the more annoyed they get and the harder they try to pirate it-- like little kids when you tell them they can't do something and give them some arbitrary reason why. Place a little trust in people and treat them like honest, law-abiding adults and they'll start to act the part (obviously some won't, but statistically speaking people will generally rise to the level of trust placed in them). There's a good chunk of people out there who are going to pirate your stuff no matter what you do, but all DRM does is drive more honest people into that category while adding extra development costs and potential problems.

It seems like after 30+ years of PC and console games publishers would have figured out that there's no DRM that a pirate can't crack. It's just insane to me that there hasn't been a huge shift towards doing away with DRM in the last 10 years instead of the small amount of publishers catching on.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »
That being said, if the pirates always win, they need to hurry up with a good Vita / 3DS hack.  The homebrew was the biggest draw for me and the PSP, and the idea of the Vita doing homebrew makes me salivate.  (Preferably not on that nice, shiny screen.)

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2012, 11:18:30 pm »
They've been doing that for the Vita already. All it's done so far is get some crappy games taken down because Sony is dumb.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2012, 07:42:41 pm »
Oh, that's a full hack, huh?  I thought it was just a hack into the PSP emulation side of things.  Cool.  Still gonna wait for a bit, though.

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2012, 02:10:21 am »
Awesome game, poor ending meh what can you do?  Nothing could live up to the hype but the backlash is insane: it's not the first time this has happend I was their for Xenosaga  :P                                                                                               

ps. I play online quite a bit psn's NextGenCowboy for anyone interested

pss. Computer's broke, I'm broke using ps3 to type please excuse any errors.
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 08, 2012, 02:38:31 am »
pss. Computer's broke, I'm broke using ps3 to type please excuse any errors.
You deserve a medal for that.  Very painful typing on any console without a keyboard.
When Reason Fails