logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80554590 visitors

Author Topic: WSJ Violent Games Improve Decision Making  (Read 1824 times)

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
WSJ Violent Games Improve Decision Making
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203458604577263273943183932.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

So I guess when the media gets this, they'll argue that it means kids playing these games will decide to kill their parents faster.
When Reason Fails

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
Re: WSJ Violent Games Improve Decision Making
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:45:11 pm »
...WSJ is the media (it's owned by News Corp, the same goons who own Fox News, The Sun, News International, etc.)

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 06:32:12 pm »
Well, without reading the article, do they necessarily say it's a good decision?  ;)

EDIT:  To clarify, usually these studies seem to focus on how quickly a decision is made.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

9volt Kappa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 07:58:51 pm »
People who played violent action games often could make decisions 25% faster than others without sacrificing accuracy, according to researchers at the University of Rochester and the University of Minnesota.

Nec5

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:18:30 pm »
Well, without reading the article, do they necessarily say it's a good decision?  ;)

EDIT:  To clarify, usually these studies seem to focus on how quickly a decision is made.
Well, I generally distrust most studies, particularly in the social studies, but I just thought it was funny to see a "study" contradicting the media and political narrative that video games turn all of us into Jeffrey Dahmer.
When Reason Fails

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:38 am »
So playing violent games makes me more violent?  Is that the general idea?  So if I play a game where I'm Jesus or Ghandi, and I do benevolent busy quests, does that make me a better person?  I mean, the opposite should be true, right?  So if the opposite is true, why don't they fill our prison system with non-violent games where you do virtual nice things for society?  Wouldn't that influence the prisoners to be better people?  What, it wouldn't?  You mean, politicians are full of shit as usual?  Well who'dda thunk it.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:01 am »
After reading the article, it's about what I expected.  Games force you to make quick decisions, usually, and it makes sense that practicing that ability would lead to an improvement in that skill in real life.

I do think there are ages at which the violence can absolutely affect the mental processes.  Past a certain point, however, I think once those neural pathways are (mostly) set, you're probably just fine.  I've played my share of violent games, but I also think I'm pretty well grounded by this point.

I think, with the prisoners, a lot of those guys have those mental processes already established, and it's hard to pull them out of it.  The problem with living a certain lifestyle, no matter how good or bad it is, is that it's self-enforcing neurally.  It's why "habit" is so hard to break, as the brain's "hardware" has literally changed to accommodate that behavior.  I can't see giving them violent games to continue the enforcement of those mental processes, but I also don't really think "good" games will help much, either.  It takes something a good deal more powerful than that to really turn those hardened criminals around.  You might have some luck with minor offenders, though.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

realworksuks

• Random Battle Hater
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:31 pm »
This is why when you see a really hot chick she is more than likely dumb... cuz she hasnt' played video games.

True story.

Jedi QuestMaster

• About time, Photobucket--GOSH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 09:07:37 pm »
So playing violent games makes me more violent?  Is that the general idea?  So if I play a game where I'm Jesus or Ghandi, and I do benevolent busy quests, does that make me a better person?  I mean, the opposite should be true, right?  So if the opposite is true, why don't they fill our prison system with non-violent games where you do virtual nice things for society?  Wouldn't that influence the prisoners to be better people?  What, it wouldn't?  You mean, politicians are full of shit as usual?  Well who'dda thunk it.
I think you're missing the point of this article... or this topic... depends on who you're talking to.
And I'll leave it at that!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:00 pm »
Yes, I agree games can improve decision making speed.

-

Sarge, my point is, while video games may reinforce previously existing personality traits, I do not believe they act as transformative catalysts.  I can back this up with theory, but I would have to bring genetics and religion into my hypothesis, and no one wants that.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:06:03 pm »
Well, all of us have predilections towards certain behaviors, sure, but I think early enough in life, events do act as transformative catalysts, including video games.  How measurable that effect is, though, is up in the air, as is the amount of the effect from person to person.

And yeah, I'm kinda coming from a genetic point of view, although (as most everyone here knows) I also come from a religious point of view as well.  We probably don't need to delve too deeply into that for this article, though.  ;)

Nec5

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:25:05 pm »
  I've played my share of violent games, but I also think I'm pretty well grounded by this point.
Untrue.  Your violent tendencies are lurking there just waiting to awaken.  All those jumps on top of mushroom men goombas will soon yield violent results as you rampage at a local grocer.  Just you wait. 
When Reason Fails

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:36:00 am »
Humans are naturally aggressive and competitive. We can't turn that switch off even if we wanted to. Video games, particularly violent ones, allow us to release that aggressiveness and competitiveness in a (mostly) socially-approved manner, one which, unlike ages past, doesn't result in real people getting hurt.

Video games also provide more unusual benefits; first-person shooters enhance colour discrimination (the ability to discern subtle colour differences), for instance. The WSJ lists several others, including real-time games enhancing rapid decision-making skills.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:59 pm »

Yeah, where are all the studies on how non-violent games can turn you into a better person? You need to look at both sides or none at all! Oh, right, these studies are simply being used a vehicle of the controlling class to further their agenda. :banghead:
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 03:11:39 pm »
Untrue.  Your violent tendencies are lurking there just waiting to awaken.  All those jumps on top of mushroom men goombas will soon yield violent results as you rampage at a local grocer.  Just you wait.
Honestly, I'm already conflicted on whether to eat the mushrooms to power up, or to stomp them into oblivion.  Please don't push me the wrong way!

Corsair

• Celestial Crown
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 02:35:25 pm »
Well, how many games out there are both inherently nonviolent, and -also- require fast decision making abilities?

I mean, games that Aren't Magical Drop. Or some variation of falling block games? I wonder if we could find the same result with Tetris?

RedComet

• GET OUTTA MY WAY
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 11:57:10 am »
Tetris? :P
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 05:00:20 pm »
Brain Age anybody?

Also plying fast card games can help too.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client