logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71176838 visitors

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 1 vs Breath of Fire 2 (retranslation)  (Read 2891 times)

Validus

• View Profile
Breath of Fire 1 vs Breath of Fire 2 (retranslation)
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:24:02 pm »
We all know what ruined BoF2 was the HORRIBLE translations (worse than even most or all NES rpgs translated in the 80s early 90s).

But after recently playing through BoF1 again, I actually think I enjoy the first one a lot more than the 2nd. I have yet to play through BoF2 retranslation in its entirety so I cant make a definitive judgement yet on that, but I just like how the BoF1 world feels larger and "realer" more interactive. When you save a village or do certain things, it feels like you and your party have accomplished a heroic act.

I want to know if anyone who has played through and beated the BoF2 retranslation feels its a better game than part 1.

PEACE!

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
Re: Breath of Fire 1 vs Breath of Fire 2 (retranslation)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:22:33 pm »
Well, I do know that BoF1 was done by Ted Woolsey. He had to cut about half the script, and a lot of minor details as a result, but overall it's more readable than Capcom's in-house job on BoF2.

I haven't played the game far enough to know everything, but for one, the original mentions that it's already been rumored that the Black Dragons are making a bid for world domination - their attack on Dragnier is just the first concrete proof the White Dragons have had. Also, Jade/Judas is more of a bastard: Woolsey has him responding to Sara/Sayla's indictment of the Black Dragons' attempted genocide with "she has a point!", where the original has him saying something to the effect of "You're cute when you're angry."

I really do need to get back to work on the BoF1 retranslation project sometime. I just have so many irons in the fire...-_-;
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:26:22 pm »
Strangely enough, even with the butchered localization of BoF2, I enjoyed that game a bit more.  Not a lot more, mind you, but something just clicked for me in the game.  I loved the original as well, though.  It was actually one of the first SNES RPGs I was able to get my hands on (not long after getting FF3, SoM, and something else I can't remember).
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:09 pm »
Strangely enough, even with the butchered localization of BoF2, I enjoyed that game a bit more.  Not a lot more, mind you, but something just clicked for me in the game.  I loved the original as well, though.
Same here.  The original translation was bad, but it wasn't enough to really hurt the game for me.  I guess I have a higher threshold for that stuff and my imagination just filled in the gaps.
When Reason Fails

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:51:57 pm »
BF1 was such an excruciating experience that it has largely turned me off ever trying BF2.  Long, boring dungeons and bosses that refuse to die.  Ugh.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 01:13:48 am »
BF2 was way worse. Random encounters every 5 steps really hurt the game.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 03:55:27 am »
I also preferred BOF1 to BOF2.

1 has impressive cut scenes (especially the intro), good music, great graphics.

2 has worse graphics than 1, your party doesn't attack the enemies directly like in 1 but just stand there swinging their weapon in the air like in FF games, the world map has less details than in BOF1, magical effects are MUCH less impressive.
It also have for the most part, worse music. Especially the dungeon music in BOF2 was really annoying.

The story in BOF2 was probably the best part of the game, it had plot twists and all. It was however a bit depressing/sad/terrifying for my taste, while BOF1 is overall more a classical  happy RPG when if something is wrong you just go fix it and then everything is perfect.

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:20:16 pm »
the further I play and see other characters animated and drawn the more of a resembalance I see to BoF1.

Loving this game cant put it down.

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 12:17:32 pm »
Hey, if you are referring to the more recent Bof2 retranslation that has been posted on this site, I have played all the way through it. I even wrote a small review about it. It really helps the game a lot, in my opinion. Personally, if you enjoyed BoF2 and always felt that it could have been better, this will fix just about any issue.

Now, having said that, although I felt that the storyline for BoF2 was far better than the first game, I still prefer the first game over the second. And I think it is for the same reasons that you had listed. Also, I was always disappointed in what they did with the dragon transformations in the second game. They essentially acted as a "summon" spell instead of actually staying as a dragon throughout the duration of the battle.  Of course, they fixed that in the third game.

Anyway, check out the re-translation. I think it's certainly worth the time.
Just a guy that likes horror flicks.

Ryusui

• View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 01:21:05 pm »
You're welcome. ;)
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 01:39:42 pm »
You're welcome. ;)

Looking forward to the retranslation of the first one!

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 02:54:45 pm »
I've said since coming to the board that Ryusui's work on the translation is excellent, but whether it's years of playing JRPGs or just plain laziness, I can't get past the gameplay (none of which is Ryusui's fault). I think I'm "random encountered" out for a while.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:57 pm »
Yeah, I didn't get too far into the game, either. I think I got to where you had to go into that whale before getting bored and dropping the game. All the backtracking in the game ruined its pacing, considering there was no convenient mode of transportation and no sure-fire way to avoid random battles.

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:08:40 pm »
I've said since coming to the board that Ryusui's work on the translation is excellent, but whether it's years of playing JRPGs or just plain laziness, I can't get past the gameplay (none of which is Ryusui's fault). I think I'm "random encountered" out for a while.

I go through stages where I will get bored with it myself. But I always find myself coming right back after playing some old school action game or something entirely different in general. Overall, JRPG's will always be my favorite games though.

I did play through the entire game though. I agree that this game does suffer from a lot of backtracking in the first few hours of the game, but Ryusui's translation of the game really does, at least for me, make it feel like I was playing a new game. I think it is unanimous that the original translation was horrendous.

Ryusui

• View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:40:41 pm »
If there's one line I'm proudest of - just one - it'd be these seven words, right before the grand finale.

Spoiler:
"Ryu snaps at the sight of Deathevan!"

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:51:15 pm »
My buddy just beat BOF1 on SNES. He went directly to the SNES BoF2 retranslation here on this site and he says its overall an improvement. He likes the faster battle system he tells me.

I guess I will have my own opinion when I finish the game and move on to our NEW VERSION of BoF2!!!