I am going to start off by stating what I have done/tried:
Ok, so I recently collected a bunch of RPG maker games, some of which takes up to 9 memory cards, while most are around the 3 range.
So I got to thinking, man, I wish playstation would allow larger memory cards or more cards so I wouldn't have to worry about switching them! So I got a copy of PCSX-r source code, compiled it and started tinkering. I was hoping to use the built in bios, but RPG maker was not compatible with them.
I am pretty sure I can modify the emulator to use more than 2 memory cards, but since the original psx bios only look for 2, that will be an issue. So I attempted to disassemble the bios and figure out where it is loading, although I think I am doing this part wrong as it seems to show opcodes that didn't exist or weren't on the lists I found, although it could be that I was using documents that were incorrect.
long story short, I am stuck trying to figure out the asm for the bios to force it to recognize either more than 2 memory cards, or larger ones. I know I will eventually need to add support for more than 2 memory cards within the game as well, but for now I want to get the bios recognizing them.Here are my questions to you:
Is it feasible to add more cards to allow the entire game to be loaded at once?
Anyone have suggestions of what program to use and the settings to decompile or disassemble playstation executables and the playstation bios? I have tried a couple, but as I mentioned above they seem to have different opcode names from what documents I have found, which confuses me a bit, and I think I may be doing something wrong.
Does anyone know of any documentation on playstation specific opcodes or is it simply an r3000 opcodes set? I have looked around, but haven't found anything worth while.Alternate possibilities
RPG Maker comes with a game sample which is in COMDATA.bin, it seems to be a nearly 1:1 copy except the empty space was compressed, and it seems some words, although I haven't figured it out yet, this may be a much better solution, if I could simply take the games from memory card and compile them into a COMDATA.bin. The main problem with this seems to be that there are a lot of unknowns here for me, such as header data, how the format differs if at all etc...Help
If anyone is interested in helping at all, that would be awesome, even if it is just finding the asm or function that is checking for the memory cards, it would be a great help!
thank you for your time!