logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

71207626 visitors

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 3Mix (Two World Demo Release)  (Read 3644 times)

southbird

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. 3Mix (Two World Demo Release)
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »
Hi guys.  Figured this might interest you here.

About 2.5 years ago I started doing a full disassembly of Super Mario Bros. 3, and about 6 months ago, I finally finished! (It was on and off again as time and interest allowed.)

But before I went ahead and released it, I wanted to have a level editor that directly supported it and be the first one to make something with it, so here is the beginning of what I'm working on. It's currently called "Super Mario Bros. 3Mix" and sort of works on taking things from other Mario games and mixing them backward (or forward) into SMB3.

Currently released is a Two World Demo which basically runs something of a "summary" of SMB1 and SMB2 (USA) while it starts kind of transitioning into SMB3. Future worlds will probably be even more imaginative.

Download, information, and preview video available at: http://sonicepoch.com/sm3mix/

I plan on updating that website "soon" with the disassembly source (I won't make anyone wait until I'm done with 3Mix, whenever that might be) and some other stuff. Check back there for updates and in the meantime, please give this a roll.

Disassembly and documentation is now uploaded.  Let me know if anything is really wrong with it; I spent 9 hours on a Saturday on it and just wanted to get it up there, so something might be wrong.  Just let me know.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 02:05:40 am by southbird »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Re: Super Mario Bros. 3Mix (Two World Demo Release)
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
Wow, this is a really cool looking project! I watched the video and I'll be sure to check out the demo when I have some more time. There are some features there we've never seen before! Impressive work sir. I'm sure it was quite the task to disassemble the full game. It does open the door for a whole new level of advanced SMB3 hacks. The source and documentation is just as valuable as the hack. :)
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Proveaux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:26 pm »
Video looked awesome! Can't wait for more.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:25:16 pm »
I can't quite figure out how to get to world 2. I beat all the levels in world 1. I figured out how to get to the map of the worlds, but I can't move to world 2. Do I need all the star coins?

Also, I know this isn't done, but are you interested in bug reports? Sometimes I get a column of garbage on the screen, and one time I had this happen: (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/0225121733%281%29.avi). I'm playing on actual hardware (with a PowerPak) with the PRG0 patch (on a PRG0 ROM, of course) if that matters.

southbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:45:52 pm »
I can't quite figure out how to get to world 2.

If there's a way to do this that's just plain broken, I'd like to know.  It should happen automagically after beating the final Bowser.  If it goes straight to the map there's something broken.  Although of course having beat Bowser already, going back to the map is actually intended behavior.  Just tried it quick with the PRG0 patch and it worked as expected (also played this with a PRG1 ROM patched on real hardware, so I dunno)

Also, I know this isn't done, but are you interested in bug reports? Sometimes I get a column of garbage on the screen, and one time I had this happen: (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/0225121733%281%29.avi). I'm playing on actual hardware (with a PowerPak) with the PRG0 patch (on a PRG0 ROM, of course) if that matters.

I am interesting bug reports, but the glitch of the screen is actually a known one.  A Bugzilla system should be up and ready soon.  And nice to see you're using a Powerpak; I test with this too.  :)

Disassembly and documentation is now uploaded.  Let me know if anything is really wrong with it; I spent 9 hours on a Saturday on it and just wanted to get it up there, so something might be wrong.  Just let me know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:57:06 pm by southbird »

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:16:30 pm »
It should happen automagically after beating the final Bowser.

This didn't happen. (Tried both NES and emu.) The hack is great so far. Dying to see world two.

Edit: Am I doing something wrong? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/3Mix.avi
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:24:44 pm by snarfblam »

southbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:07:06 am »
This didn't happen. (Tried both NES and emu.) The hack is great so far. Dying to see world two.

Edit: Am I doing something wrong? http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12027218/3Mix.avi

Based on your video, I can see that on the map the Fortress was previously "completed" (by the check mark.)  It will only proceed to World 2 automatically once and further completions will dump you to the map (imitating the behavior of NSMB Wii.)  Now if you didn't actually previously complete the level, there's an issue there.  So I guess we'll do this standard bug style...

What is your base ROM?  (Full filename, MD5 sum if you could; use WinMS5 if you don't have an MD5 generator; my unmodified PRG0 ROM MD5sum is bb5c4b6d4d78c101f94bdb360af502f3, and post-modification ROM is 4155bd54a492ebdb0b49ecf6ff55fb97.)

What program did you use for IPS patching?

Any death or unusual events happen between entering the level and exiting the level?

I tried running through quick with dying before and after defeating Bowser, and in neither case did it fail to proceed to World 2.  Also played this through last night on a real NES with a Powerpak, and also did not see this behavior.

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:26:24 am »
Super Mario Bros 3 (U) (PRG 0).nes: bb5c4b6d4d78c101f94bdb360af502f3
Patched ROM (w/ LIPS): 4155bd54a492ebdb0b49ecf6ff55fb97

In the video I had already beaten the level, but nothing happened differently the first time than what happened in the video. I died (repeatedly) before I figured out how to beat Bowser, so I started from the half-way point.

Either way, the path to world two is still blocked. I'll start over and try again. Does skipping a level have any effect on things? I think I accidentally skipped a level my first time through on the PowerPak (but went back and beat it), and I skipped most of them on the emu (but not the final castle).

Edit: Okay, maybe it was the level skipping thing. I just made another run, and everything worked fine.

Edit 2: Beat world 2. I do say, good hack, sir!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:37:05 am by snarfblam »

southbird

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 01:01:38 pm »
Skipping SHOULDN'T make a difference, but I wonder if there's a bug somewhere that's marking the level complete when it wasn't supposed to or something like that.  May have to look that over.

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:14 pm »
That's the most impressive SMB3 hack I ever seen.

southbird

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:01 pm »
In the video I had already beaten the level, but nothing happened differently the first time than what happened in the video. I died (repeatedly) before I figured out how to beat Bowser, so I started from the half-way point.

Either way, the path to world two is still blocked. I'll start over and try again. Does skipping a level have any effect on things? I think I accidentally skipped a level my first time through on the PowerPak (but went back and beat it), and I skipped most of them on the emu (but not the final castle).

Edit: Okay, maybe it was the level skipping thing. I just made another run, and everything worked fine.

Edit 2: Beat world 2. I do say, good hack, sir!

Can you remember what path you took through World 1 when skipping?  I'd like to see if it's consistently reproducible so maybe we can find out what went wrong here.

That's the most impressive SMB3 hack I ever seen.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 04:46:57 pm »
I can't get past the first fortress with Nestopia 1.40. The door won't open... I have all star coins. I have the correct MD5s on my pre and post ROMs.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 04:48:55 pm »
Can you remember what path you took through World 1 when skipping?

I'm pretty sure I skipped level 3. I'm positive it was one of the earlier levels, and I only skipped the one level on my first run through.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »
I'm shocked by how awesome this hack is! Awesome! It takes a well-developed editorial sense to create an homage to other games that is fresh, fun, familiar, and fitting to the updated game engine. Little touches here and there enhance the experience appropriately. Great work!

Thank you!

southbird

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:34 pm »
I can't get past the first fortress with Nestopia 1.40. The door won't open... I have all star coins. I have the correct MD5s on my pre and post ROMs.

I was able to get through the first fortress with Nestopia 1.40 (on Windows, since there is a Mac version.)  Not sure what to say about this.

I'm shocked by how awesome this hack is! Awesome! It takes a well-developed editorial sense to create an homage to other games that is fresh, fun, familiar, and fitting to the updated game engine. Little touches here and there enhance the experience appropriately. Great work!

Thank you!

Thanks for the words, that was pretty much my goal here.  Especially the first two worlds which I was imagining were "transforming" into Mario 3.

curses

• "So long."
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 06:57:06 am »
You came up with some clever ways to evoke SMB1 and SMB2 with the "tools" of SMB3. It was cool to experience the "different yet same" quality over and over again. And the level and game design in general is quite good, it felt well-balanced.

I could go on and on. So anyway, here's to looking forward to where this project is headed!

frantik

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 09:34:20 am »
looks pretty damn sweet