logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

86209384 visitors

Author Topic: Far East of Eden Zero - Strategy Naming  (Read 681 times)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
Far East of Eden Zero - Strategy Naming
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:06:46 am »
I think the most difficult thing to properly localize in FEoEZ is the following:

In the menu you are able to create four different 'strategies' where for each one you can assign each character an action that he/she should automatically do (or you can set him/her to manual).

The difficult part - as far as translating goes - is that each of these strategies can be renamed by the player. Out of 70 Kanji, two can arbitrarily be chosen.

Each of the strategies can then be picked in battle where the name is displayed as follows (notice how I renamed the right one to 流星).

This all makes perfect sense in Japanese, but in most Western languages it is difficult to adopt. Without heavily refactoring this part of the game, per name only 4*2 8x8 tiles are available. The easiest approach would certainly be to just ditch the renaming ability and give them fixed names and/or numbers; or maybe to give the player a selection of names he can choose from.

But if anybody has any better ideas, please share them :)

reyvgm

• View Profile
Re: Far East of Eden Zero - Strategy Naming
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:48:09 am »
Assuming each strategy means something simple, I wouldn't be against making graphic icons for them. Like, for example, changing the Kanji "Attack" for a sword.