logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

80612102 visitors

Author Topic: Your Favorite RPGs?  (Read 1150 times)

Kalisiin Kumaki

• View Profile
Your Favorite RPGs?
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:56:08 am »
OK, here's a fun topic...your favorite RPGs.  Now, I think some people have different definitions of what constitutes an RPG, so some answers may be surprising to others.

For me, to be an RPG, it needs to have the following:

1. A protagonist
2. A stated goal to accomplish
3. A storyline/plot
4. Preferably some puzzles/challenges
5. Preferably menu-driven - but some "action-type RPGs" are still good
6. Prefer a definite linearity.

That said, may favorite RPG's include:

All Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest games - with the exception of DQ8 as I have never played it, I do not have the right console.
Final Fantasy - the original only.  I don't like the remakes, I had a very bad experience with the ATB battle system in FF4 (which was released in the US as FF2) - it is the only game in my life I ever ragequit.  That turned me off the rest of the series.
Zelda Series
The Dark Spire - this was an awesome old school feeling old-fashioned dungeon-crawler...I recommend it!
Metroid
the Guardian Legend

There's more, but these are the ones that come immediately off the top of my head.  Would like to hear from some others.

I, myself, am currently playing DQ9 and I am looking for a place where I can brag about my accomplishments on DQ9 (and not Dragon's Den - the Admin and I there have a major personality clash)  I do run a board about RPG's but it is very inactive.

I am not, myself a programmer or hacker...couldn't hack my way out of a paper bag - but I AM a grateful and avid user of the works of other folks - probably folks like the others on this forum!

I love ROMs and have my DS fitted with an Acekard and emulating many different game systems, I also have a Dingoo which has been flashed with Dingux and emulates even more systems.  I also love homebrew/indie games - I am never short of amazed at some of the creative things I find...even on things like RPG Maker...people manage to do things with it that I never even dreamed were possible!!  I TRIED to use RPG Maker and I could barely manage anything at all....

Anyway, would love to hear about some favorites...and feel free to include indie games in your lists!

Validus

• View Profile
Re: Your Favorite RPGs?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:24:47 am »
i love any fan translated RPG

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:34:18 am »
FF4 (which was released in the US as FF2)

I love ROMs and have my DS fitted with an Acekard

It's nice to get new forum members.  But you need to be aware of where you are.  Pretty much everyone here is a veteran gamer the likes of which congregate nowhere else on the net.  So it'd be best to leave the 101 stuff at the door.

I'll throw you a bone though.  My favorite WRPG is Fallout, and JRPG is SMT: Nocturne.

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:43:58 am »
Can we turn this into a more general "Favourite Games" thread, sticky it, and lock all future threads of this type?

It's getting old.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 10:30:07 am »
Why, how often does this come up?

For me, an RPG needs to be...like any other game, fun enough to want to see though.

Non-rom translated:
My top 2, and I've played through both of them ~7 times over would be Chrono Trigger(oddly enough, never played through to see alternate endings) and Grandia 2*. Other faves would have been the Suikoden* series, Quintets SNES trilogy(Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, & Terranigma), Pretty much anything Bioware did on the X-Box*, Fallout series*, Diablo(1st only)*,  Time Stalkers(meh, I like what I like)*, the Genesis Shining Force games...that's about all that comes to mind really.

I've never been huge on random battles.

*I've since decided to limit myself to the 2D cartridge era. I may have listed more games from the disc era, but I've since grown not to like the disc medium, voice acting(for gaming, not in general), and all games taking a story telling route, vs. having specific genres for that.

Translated favorites:
As I said, I'm not huge on random battles, but I did play through the first Silva Saga some, and it seemed pretty for a Dragon Quest clone. So I guess this series.

As odd as it is, I actually kind of enjoyed Brave Battle Saga - Legend of the Magic Warrior.

Almost not sure if it really counts as an RPG, given how you level up and whatnot, but last night I conquered Crystal Beans From Dungeon Explorer(check the 4th page of the thread under the personal projects board, hope it makes it to the database here soon), and that was pretty fun.

Can hardly remember it, but I do recall enjoying Emerald Dragon, despite the SFC version supposedly being one of the worst ports of it.

FEDA was awesome, but it would be for anyone who likes Shining Force. Even has a WRPG style moral system, down to being able to stay neutral, if you know how to manipulate that.

I got half way through Mystic Ark one of the times I burned out, but for a random battler it seemed pretty good.

Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia I'm half and half on. The battle systems were fun, but the random battle rates weren't...

Tenchi Muyo - typically I don't go for licensed gaming all that much(unless it's nostalgic, like Konami's arcade beat em ups), but this was unique for a SRPG. I actually beat it with LNF's text box broken patch, back then. It was unique because you leveled up by having the character making the right amount of kill shots. No exp. in between.

Treasure Hunter G. This was also pretty unique and fun. I don't know how to describe the battle system. It's somewhere in between real time, turn based, and strategy.

Cosmo Police Galivan -  this one might not really count. It's more of a prototype of Symphony of the Night than Castlevania 2 is, except, it isn't a large interconnected world, just very large stages.

That's about it, anything left out, no offense to the hackers and translators, but it's the quality of the game itself that didn't resonate with me.

Kalisiin Kumaki

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:08:01 pm »
It's nice to get new forum members.  But you need to be aware of where you are.  Pretty much everyone here is a veteran gamer the likes of which congregate nowhere else on the net.  So it'd be best to leave the 101 stuff at the door.

I'll throw you a bone though.  My favorite WRPG is Fallout, and JRPG is SMT: Nocturne.

Thanks for the kindly advice.  I'll try to remember to keep the 101 stuff to a minimum.
I just did not really know what type of community this was.

Fact is, probably most of you guys are programmers/hackers who could run circles around the likes of me...I'm just an avid consumer of the works you guys do, lol

But I AM looking for a place to brag on my accomplishments at DQ9....do you suppose if I started such a thread anyone might contribute to it and look at it?

February 15, 2012, 12:11:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Why, how often does this come up?

For me, an RPG needs to be...like any other game, fun enough to want to see though.

Non-rom translated:
My top 2, and I've played through both of them ~7 times over would be Chrono Trigger(oddly enough, never played through to see alternate endings) and Grandia 2*. Other faves would have been the Suikoden* series, Quintets SNES trilogy(Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, & Terranigma), Pretty much anything Bioware did on the X-Box*, Fallout series*, Diablo(1st only)*,  Time Stalkers(meh, I like what I like)*, the Genesis Shining Force games...that's about all that comes to mind really.

I've never been huge on random battles.

*I've since decided to limit myself to the 2D cartridge era. I may have listed more games from the disc era, but I've since grown not to like the disc medium, voice acting(for gaming, not in general), and all games taking a story telling route, vs. having specific genres for that.

Translated favorites:
As I said, I'm not huge on random battles, but I did play through the first Silva Saga some, and it seemed pretty for a Dragon Quest clone. So I guess this series.

As odd as it is, I actually kind of enjoyed Brave Battle Saga - Legend of the Magic Warrior.

Almost not sure if it really counts as an RPG, given how you level up and whatnot, but last night I conquered Crystal Beans From Dungeon Explorer(check the 4th page of the thread under the personal projects board, hope it makes it to the database here soon), and that was pretty fun.

Can hardly remember it, but I do recall enjoying Emerald Dragon, despite the SFC version supposedly being one of the worst ports of it.

FEDA was awesome, but it would be for anyone who likes Shining Force. Even has a WRPG style moral system, down to being able to stay neutral, if you know how to manipulate that.

I got half way through Mystic Ark one of the times I burned out, but for a random battler it seemed pretty good.

Star Ocean and Tales of Phantasia I'm half and half on. The battle systems were fun, but the random battle rates weren't...

Tenchi Muyo - typically I don't go for licensed gaming all that much(unless it's nostalgic, like Konami's arcade beat em ups), but this was unique for a SRPG. I actually beat it with LNF's text box broken patch, back then. It was unique because you leveled up by having the character making the right amount of kill shots. No exp. in between.

Treasure Hunter G. This was also pretty unique and fun. I don't know how to describe the battle system. It's somewhere in between real time, turn based, and strategy.

Cosmo Police Galivan -  this one might not really count. It's more of a prototype of Symphony of the Night than Castlevania 2 is, except, it isn't a large interconnected world, just very large stages.

That's about it, anything left out, no offense to the hackers and translators, but it's the quality of the game itself that didn't resonate with me.

Wow never heard of Silva Saga...you say it is a DW clone...have to check that out.  also forgot to mention I enjoyed the Phantasy Star Series...the original was far better than any 8-bit game had any right being!!  Yeah, I'm VERY old school, lol

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
But I AM looking for a place to brag on my accomplishments at DQ9

There's a thread here called "Gaming Progress", you could post there.  Or maybe start a thread called "Gaming Accomplishments" or whatever.  To be honest you'd probably do better finding a forum that is all about DQ9 for that.

.the original was far better than any 8-bit game had any right being

Yes, it is IMO the best 8-bit RPG there is.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 02:02:40 pm »
Wow never heard of Silva Saga...you say it is a DW clone...have to check that out.

The SNES sequel was recently translated as well. There's something of a prequel too, called Minelvaton Saga(also translated), but the battles are more action oriented.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:39:28 pm »
Yay, another favorite thread!

Anyway, Chrono Trigger.  There are tons of other JRPGs that I love, but that one is still the pinnacle of the genre for me.  This means that I'm either stuck in the past, or that the genre has taken a bit of a nosedive, overall.  I might argue equal parts of both.

On the SNES, I'd put Final Fantasy III/VI, Lufia II, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound in the awesome category, and if we start counting stuff that didn't make it over, tag in Dragon Quest VI.

On the Genesis, a system that I didn't get access to until very late in the game (like when the system was dead), I'd put Phantasy Star IV and Shining Force II up against almost anything.

NES, go with Dragon Warrior III & IV, Final Fantasy, and Final Fantasy III.

Not too many great RPGs for the Gameboy, but I loved Final Fantasy Legend II.

At some point I'd love to finish Phantasy Star on SMS, it's on my to-do list.  On the Game Gear, though, Defenders of Oasis is quite enjoyable.

I think I'll stop at that.  There are other games I've enjoyed, and other systems to cover, but I don't really feel like tackling them all right now.  Stick to the retro, and all that.  There's actually some discussion of other games over in this thread, so it might be another good place to refer to, and one that might have slightly less nostalgia-tinged opinions, given that the constraint is games that we have played in the last five years.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »
Dunno if these count, but Front Mission: Gun Hazard and Equinox.
<3

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:42:27 pm »
Well Zelda, Metroid and Guardian Legend were already mentioned in the first post, and I mentioned Cosmo Police Galivan. At which point "RPG" in the title should have probably been replaced with "adventure."

So, some favorite Action Adventures to boot:
Genesis:
Beyond Oasis
Crusade of Centy
Landstalker
Wonder Boy in Monster World
Monster World IV(translation)

TurboGrafx-16:
Dragon's Curse
Neutopia
Neutopia 2

SNES:
Demon's Crest

Yay, another favorite thread!

Again, how often does this come up?

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »
fallout,
arcanum,
mother 3
_-|-_

mz

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »
Alundra
Lufia II
Final Fantasy VIII
Chrono Trigger
Landstalker
Final Fantasy VII

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 10:05:42 pm »
Gothic 2 on the PC is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.... now if only I had a computer strong enough to run Gothic 3.

I hear 3 is the best in the series... the graphics sure look like it can be

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »
The gold box games on the PC (D&D), and, of course, Legacy of the Ancients (C64).  I think some of the best RPGs from the NES and SNES eras have already been nailed down here. 

And since this is a favorite thread, I have to point out that Aidyn Chronicles(N64) is probably one of the first.  That game actually hurt my eyes and my patience.  Truly terrible.
When Reason Fails

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
Gothic 2 on the PC is one of my favorite RPGs of all time.... now if only I had a computer strong enough to run Gothic 3.

I hear 3 is the best in the series... the graphics sure look like it can be

you hear blatant lies. the graphics are sweet in G3, that's true. but the gameplay, and the challenge, went sharply downhill from G2:NotR. while not the worst in the series (that privilege goes for Arcania), it's still dumbed down, way too easy, and so buggy that five years worth of fan patches still couldn't eliminate all of the bugs and problems with the game.

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 04:36:06 pm »
Gideon, you brought up Equinox, do you ever play with a Spectrum emulator? There's a good number of isometric platformer adventure games on the thing(well, somewhere between 4 and 8 anyway). In fact there are 4 remakes here: http://retrospec.sgn.net/
Those being Alien 8, Batman, Head over Heels, and Knights Lore.