logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83857993 visitors

Author Topic: Utilities: New Utilities Added to the Database  (Read 1294 times)

RHDNBot

Utilities: New Utilities Added to the Database
« on: February 23, 2012, 07:55:50 pm »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Utilities have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/)

FinS

• View Profile
    • nothing much
Re: Utilities: New Utilities Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:50:47 pm »
The patching tool on SNEStuff is broken. It could damage the rom. Make sure to have a backup. I didn't notice any problems with other tools in that utilty.

The problem appears to be that it patches an unheadered rom as though it has a header.

February 26, 2012, 08:57:49 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
The tool uses a special formatting method which adds an extra byte at the end of the patch file. There is a 01 byte placed at the end of the file which signifies to subtract $200 from every address in the patch. This 01 byte is automatically set by the default setting if you have the tool format the patch.

this is the default setting. clicking format and continue will cause the tool to subtract 200 from every address in the patch.

this setting will cause a 02 byte to be placed at the end of the patch file. this will cause the patching tool to not add or subtract anything from the patch addresses. it is not selected by default.

The problem is if your patch was made from a non headered rom with a different tool then using the format setting from this tool will adjust all the addresses in the patch because you naturally would leave the "intended for headered roms choice" unselected.

Selecting to "continue unformatted" will avoid this trouble but selecting the choice to "never format patches" has no effect because the next time you open it "never format" is deselected.

This all should be explained at least in the documentation to save some headaches.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:57:49 pm by FinS »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
You might want to write a review or edit the description of this utility to add some of this information.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

FinS

• View Profile
    • nothing much
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:47 pm »
... edit the description of this utility to add some of this information.
Done.

I tested this tool again and got it to change the patch addresses by both +$200 and -$200 but I was not able to get to use the actual patch address while using the formatting option so I'm not exactly sure what it is doing but I think it would be best to not use the formatting option.  If anyone figures out exactly how the formatting works then they should update the description again.