logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

77862625 visitors

Author Topic: "Why I pirate" - Extreme Tech Article  (Read 8613 times)

huckpie

• View Profile
Re: "Why I pirate" - Extreme Tech Article
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 07:06:20 am »
So industry, less quantity and more quality is a big part to the solution to your piracy problems.

Ditto on that. 'Tis no wonder why Hollywood's getting bonkers nowadays. But then again if a product is made with a better quality, does that mean we'll end up with people complaining like as if they're just as costly as an American Girl doll or a Mac?

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
    • Gangsta City
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2012, 07:07:36 pm »
@nightcrawler

I just do what I want to do, and the world is a lot less depressing. I'm too small and insignificant for any government to be concerned. Its worked well for me so far, you should give it a try, it gives you a much brighter outlook on things.

If all else fails, move to Canada/New Guinea/Guatemala etc.

While I agree it's important to stand up against the wrong, and try to make a difference, in practice its far more productive to just bypass the system completely.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 01:58:18 pm »
Ditto on that. 'Tis no wonder why Hollywood's getting bonkers nowadays. But then again if a product is made with a better quality, does that mean we'll end up with people complaining like as if they're just as costly as an American Girl doll or a Mac?
This makes no sense.  Macs are overpriced, shitty machines.  Such an analogy is void.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 02:41:02 pm »
Macs are overpriced, yes.  I'm not sure I'd call them "s***ty", though.  But that's just me.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:55 pm »
Today I give Talbain a pat on the back.  :thumbsup:

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 10:42:56 pm »
It had better be with scratchy washcloths soaked in Scope.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 11:48:08 pm »
I have just reliased that I was commiting copyright infringment and being a pirate by video taping Ghostbusters off TV when I was 9.  They say that piracy kills the movie industry, and to be honest I have yet to see another movie as good as Ghostbusters. Nowadays the best you can hope for is Adam Sandler dressing up as a woman and cussing people out. Sorry guys, I guess I fucked it up for everyone

I.S.T.

• Forum Moderator
  • I AM NO-AVATAR MAN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 01:35:35 am »
You need to watch more recent movies. I suggest No Country For Old Men, Iron Man 1, Batman Begins and its sequel, The Dark Knight, Kung Pow, Wall-E, Up! and Pitch Black.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/12534 The Dragon Thing To Do: The Dragon Creed

huckpie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 03:47:03 am »
P2P won't be it, because people are greedy fucks and don't want to share, they just want to grab stuff. They'll go back to FTP servers before P2P will have a revival.

That's partly because not all have a big enough bandwidth to seed things once they download it. As much as I'd like to seed after torrenting I'm afraid I have to cut off the line as I only have a 1MBPS connection.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 08:31:46 am »
A large amount of people across the United States on DSL have it even worse. Many are lucky to have 512K-896Kbps for upload speeds (while downloads range from say 1-25Mbps). After downloading several linux distributions, it may take days, or even weeks to maintain 1:1 ratio. Download a few more and forget it. It's not realistic or achievable. Remember, the US is terrible when it comes to internet speeds compared to most of the first and second worlds. Third world countries are giving us a run for our money...
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Kiyoshi Aman

• Submission Reviewer
  • Kicking the wind, dood.
    • View Profile
    • Kumiho
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2012, 09:13:53 am »

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »
Americans complaining about internet plans... It is to chuckle.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »
A large amount of people across the United States on DSL have it even worse. Many are lucky to have 512K-896Kbps for upload speeds (while downloads range from say 1-25Mbps). After downloading several linux distributions, it may take days, or even weeks to maintain 1:1 ratio. Download a few more and forget it. It's not realistic or achievable. Remember, the US is terrible when it comes to internet speeds compared to most of the first and second worlds. Third world countries are giving us a run for our money...
I wouldn't say everyone. I don't know if it's a country-wide thing (I highly doubt it, in fact), but the place I lived in Japan (Hikone, Shiga Prefecture) had terrible internet. It was explained to me by the director of my Japanese program that the entire city shared one bandwidth pipeline, and that he'd done whatever he could to make the speed at our school decent, but he couldn't do much more because of us sharing it with the rest of the city. People used to think that just because we were Americans and that we would occasionally torrent that that was what caused the speed to go down. Nope, over the semester break where there was significantly less students (40+ to about 10) the speed was just as terrible.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2012, 11:33:47 pm »

I agree.

I'm on cable internet and I only have 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up. Although that's a bit iffy lately. I'm about to call my ISP and rip them a new one.
Current Projects:
  • Nurvus: 10%
  • Princess Maker 2 Refine: 45%
  • ScriptTool: 25%
  • EditTool: 90%
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 05:25:55 am »
Oh folks, don't embarass yourselves. Except for maybe Sweden almost every country has asynchronous internet lines. So what? If you had mentioned that your IPSs throttle P2P traffic that would be a good point, but complaining about lower upspeeds than downspeeds, then you are exactly the kind of people I adressed in my earlier post. You don't get P2P and you just want to leech. If you expect a torrent to be seeded 1:1 by the time you finish downloading it you didn't really get the point of torrenting. Keeping the file offered after you finished downloading is the glue that keeps the system together. Not getting to 1.0 as fast as possible and then running away. You just want to grab your file and be done with it, that's not sharing at all, hence my former posts about P2P having no chance of a comeback due to people's mentality.

I only have 70kb/s upload at 700kb/s download, that's a 1:10 ratio. And I still have ratios safely beyond 1.0 on every place I've been, with more than 1TB download on some places. Time will take care of everything. And if you still just want to grab stuff, that's also possible via torrenting for cheap. Buy a seedbox for one month. It's a dedicated webserver sitting in a datacenter with a huge internet connection (100Mbit - 10 Gbit) to use for nothing but seeding. There are providers out there who set it up ready to use for even the biggest beginner. A month on a decent one doesn't even cost 10$. Do that once, and you can have a upload buffer of 500+GB on multiple sites in parallel, that way you'll never have to worry about ratios again. You can then just grab what you want and leave the torrent, you can even throttle the upload to 1kB/s while doing so. You'll never use up that safetly buffer.

My point stands, excuses, excuses.

Disclaimer: It's ok if you don't want to share, that doesn't make you worse human beings or anything like that. Just don't make up excuses for torrenting sucking to justifiy your behaviour. The reason you dislike torrenting is because you want instant piracy. That's fine. It just proves my reasoning why P2P piracy will never come back. I'm also not saying torrenting is somehow morally superior, it's still piracy. It just comes from a different mindset, that's all I wanted to point out.

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 06:00:13 am »
Australian net is well known-- we have the complete set when it comes to crappy internet. It's slow, both down and up. Most providers have caps (low ones, at that!), and the ones that don't are generally expensive or so overloaded, you may as well be back on dial-up. Also, both uploads and downloads are counted as your cap, for quite a few providers. We have peer to peer throttling. Best of all? It's hellaciously expensive for anything half decent. My internet bill is higher than most people's power bills, just to have breathing room and semi-decent speeds. Most of our country doesn't even have cable, or even ADSL.

I still seed to 1:1. I've got nothing better to do when I'm at work, after all.

Slowly, things are getting better.

Still, we're a damn long way away from anything else, so our pings are still atrocious for gaming. Nothing we can do about that, until we learn how to transmit data instantaneously, faster than light.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2012, 07:50:14 am »
Exactly, if you can do it from a capped australian line you can do it from every internet connection, it just takes the will to do it.

Anyway, this article is already a week old so it's probably old news to most, but maybe someone hasn't seen it yet:

PC World: Why history needs software piracy

It also touches on the topics of ROMs and emulation.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2012, 12:33:57 am »
That's the real reason for pirating.  Without a past, without a reference, we have nothing.

It's a big part of the reason I'm creating a game artwork database.  Preservation is something that must occur, even if it is unwilling.

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2012, 02:32:32 pm »
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1749924766.png

This is why I'll never have a 1:1.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2012, 03:47:17 pm »
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1749924766.png

This is why I'll never have a 1:1.
That's got to be cellular Internet.  That's what I use, albeit through Verizon (formerly Alltel, unlimited to boot).  I also get kicked every 12 hours, so I can't keep a constant connection, and I'm not sure I want to, anyway.  And I sure as heck am not going to use my work / university connections, for obvious reasons.  So I...  just don't torrent at all, actually.  Safer that way, in my opinion.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36