logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

83688187 visitors

Author Topic: So what was your own personal GOTY?  (Read 1684 times)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
So what was your own personal GOTY?
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:23 am »
That doesn't necessarily mean the game was released this year, per se.  Just that you played the game in question this year.  In that regard, what was your personal "game of the year" regardless of what year the game was actually published?

In 2010 I chose Last Window, and for 2011, that honor goes to Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.  The main reason being it was the anti-JRPG JRPG.  But I've already said plenty about it.  Looking back, I'd probably give the game a 9/10 if I chose to gloss over some of the more testy bits and wax nostalgic.

Lugia2009

• View Profile
Re: So what was your own personal GOTY?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 11:34:46 am »
For 2010 I would have to give it to Heavy Rain. Everything about this game is just about perfect. The graphics were amazing, especially on the character's faces. The voice acting was just about perfect, although the voice actors for young Scott and his brother and Ethan's kid's weren't that great. The story was gripping, and the gameplay was exciting. Any flaws in the game are quickly overlooked once you start playing. The music did a great job of setting the mood. Plus a story where your choices can influence the outcome of events makes for great replay value. And the game gives you a cast of characters you feel for. I just wish the game was longer, but any great game should leave you wanting more.

For 2011 I'm torn between Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy and Solatorobo: Red the Hunter.

Dissidia is probably one of the best fighting games I ever played. The graphics are nice, although the story mode was too easy. Some fights lasted less than 30 seconds. But there is plenty to do and unlock. And the game has enough modes to keep you coming back for more. The enemies can be very challenging, but that just makes it all the more rewarding when you win.

Solatorobo had some of the best graphics I've seen on the DS, the music was great and fit in perfectly. I liked the story for this game. Just like with Heavy Rain, Solatorobo gives you a cast of characters you care about and feel for. There's plenty of side missions in this game. Although a lot of the missions require you to do the same basic thing, like fight, it never seems to get tiring. The dialogue can be pretty funny at times. The game is colorful without feeling too kiddy. Plus there's more missions that open up after you beat the game. And more robots become available when you start a New game +. The gameplay is a little simple, but it's fun. And the mini games are enjoyable.
Enjoy Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy? Check out my Dissidia mods!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz7Z1YGQQul86jnYZzBh5fw/videos

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 12:12:53 pm »
I played the original Dissidia the other night, and I found it to be interesting.  There was more depth there than I expected, I plan to go back and do the story mode sometime.  Solatorobo looks fun too, I never finished Tail Concerto but I enjoyed it years back.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 12:46:26 pm »
The Witcher 2.

I should probably mention League of Legends too since I've played maybe 400 hours of it since I started in summer (+ tons of periphal activity centered around the game, from watching live streams to reading up on events and strategies). But there are still elements of it that infuriate me greatly, and it's a day to day thing if I love the game or if it makes me miserable. The community certainly makes you lose all faith you might have ever had in humanity. Not just trolls and flamers (you get those in every game), but also the amount of utterly hopeless retards that must have broken out of a mental ward and ruin 30 minutes of your life by the worst play you've ever seen. It's frustrating if you play a teamgame with strangers and your success is rarely in your hands alone. There is nothing worse than losing while feeling powerless do anything about it.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 12:56:03 pm »
I'm frankly torn between Escape Goat and Dark Souls. Both are masterpieces of teaching through level design.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:09:12 pm »
I hope Escape Goat gets a PC port.

RedComet

• GET OUTTA MY WAY
    • View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:06 pm »
Batman Arkham City. Maybe it's because I'm a huge Batman fan, but it's so damn addictive.  :o
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:01:54 pm »
I'm dying to play Last Window. I don't own the system it's for  :'(

9 Persons, 9 Hours, 9 Doors was my favorite from last year. Haven't been that enthralled by a game's story for a long time, and was far from guessing the end, even with every ending besides the true one.

And this year? I don't know.... nothing really stuck out at me. Don't own a new console and all the stuff I've emulated has been fairly meh. Starting to feel like I've played all the classics. Definitely feel like I'm out of great RPGs to play.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »
I'm dying to play Last Window. I don't own the system it's for  :'(

All I can say is DeSmuME holmes.  It will even let you play vertically like it's supposed to be IRL.
Check out The Nameless Game while you're at it.
More info - >  here

If you still have that other PSP, I hope you've checked out Corpse Party.  That's my next PSP game to tackle after I beat Resistance Retribution.

fairdenizen

• America's Individuality
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 02:11:47 pm »
All I can say is DeSmuME holmes.  It will even let you play vertically like it's supposed to be IRL.

Don't make me post my computer specs.

BRPXQZME

• everything sucks forever
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 04:30:19 pm »
Spoiler:

(i... i couldn’t resist)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • Genesis
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:32:37 pm »
I hope Escape Goat gets a PC port.
Game of the Year though?  Unquestionably, Dark Souls.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 04:45:40 pm »
BRPXQZME if you were a girl we would have babies.

edit:

Glad to hear Dark Souls is so good... I've heard from questionable sources that Demon Souls was a much better game.  I was hoping that wasn't true... I don't plan to buy a PS3 any time soon.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 07:19:52 pm »
Tough to answer that one.  I had to scour the Victoly thread to remember what I've beaten in the past year.

I'd probably go with Arkham Asylum, overall.  But I gotta give super-duper props to Super Mario 3D Land, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Ocarina of Time 3D, Pier Solar, Lords of Shadow, Peace Walker, Okamiden, and Outland.

EDIT:  You know what?  Throw For the Frog the Bell Tolls in as well.  Darn fine game, especially considering it's an Game Boy game.  And the translation job on it was great.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:01:03 am by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Ryusui

• IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!!!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage and DevBlog
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:03:14 pm »
Spoiler:

(i... i couldn’t resist)

That update was really awkward to read after playing that game. XD
Chiriyuku polaroid, atsumete paranoia...tsugi wa dare no ban da oshiete hoshii...

Fukanzen na jittai ni yorisoi nemureba...understand mieru darou!

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:30 am »
I'm loving Uncharted 3, but Xenoblade was by far my favorite GOTY (if we're counting European imports...).

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 09:26:39 am »
Yes any region any game counts.

I pre-ordered my copy of Xenoblade from NoA days ago.  Now I just have to wait till @!$&%*! April to get it.  The freaking interim better be because they are redubbing the voices or creating a deluxe packaging edition or SOMETHING.

Kyrael Seraphine

• Iiiiiii want your sooouuuulllllll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 06:26:03 pm »
Yes any region any game counts.

I pre-ordered my copy of Xenoblade from NoA days ago.  Now I just have to wait till @!$&%*! April to get it.  The freaking interim better be because they are redubbing the voices or creating a deluxe packaging edition or SOMETHING.

No, they're adding an inch to every single female's skirts.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:55 pm »
Man I hope you're joking...  you're joking... right?

Watching a friend play the Japanese version, and seeing his super hot scantily clad support characters, was one of my primary selling points.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 12:34:20 pm »
I spent a lot of time this year playing Final Fantasy VI (because I was making Stand Guard) and Dracula X: The Rondo of Blood. So I'd call it a tie between those two, myself.
- 鳥なき里の蝙蝠
- 本末転倒
- 愚考山を移す  - Mt 17:20, I believe...:)