So I'm likely getting that i5 2500k then.
See, this is my history of computers I've owned in a nutshell:
- HP Pentium III 750 Mhz, Win 98, integrated graphics. I upgraded it to a Geforce 2 or so at the time.
- After that died, we bought a computer between that, but I honestly forgot the specs. We got XP running on it, it had a 120 GB HDD or less. 1 GB of RAM. But I don't remember the processor/GPU.
- After that died, my mom got pissed and shut off the internet for five years. Yes, she's a nutbag.
- After that, my aunt gave me a Windows ME machine with a 677 Mhz Celeron in it. It was barely enough to run Diablo II. But it gave me something to do schoolwork on so I didn't have to go to the local library.
- After that, I went to a local computer shop and bought a machine with a Pentium 4 2.1 Ghz, but it was running SD-RAM. I think I had 512 MB RAM, maybe 1 GB at most. Integrated graphics on the MOBO. Another real piece of work, but better than before.
- Now I'm on my laptop. Radeon HD 3200 graphics, 4 GB of DDR2, AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 2.1 Ghz. It's barely enough to run WoW at 60 FPS, let alone anything really decent. I can't play stuff like Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, or anything too much worth playing.
So I'm building a gaming PC that will not only let me catch up on all the awesome PC gaming I've been missing out over the last five years or so, but hopefully also let me go a year or so without upgrades. But I want the MOBO to also give me the opportunity to upgrade later (into an i7, more RAM, more/better graphics cards, etc).
So do you guys have any opinions on PSU companies? Newegg is having a sale on Corsair PSUs right now.
Edit: Here's the results from the newegg PSU calculator:
Intel Core i5 (LGA1155)
High End Desktop Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (potential, I just put that there as a higher end placeholder)
4 GB DDR3 x 4
7200 RPM HDD x1
Obviously I want more than that, so I can upgrade later. So say...750W? Would I want more than one rail since I'm not planning on doing SLI/Crossfire? Etc? Discuss.