logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

78340506 visitors

Author Topic: Site: Announcement: Credit List  (Read 4646 times)

Lashiec

• View Profile
Re: Site: Announcement: Credit List
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 11:02:05 am »
In projects done by two or more groups, either by cooperation or because one inherited the work of another, should we note who is part of which group?

Also, if a project was done entirely by one person, would it be necessary to list him again in the 'Credits' section?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:19:11 am by Lashiec »
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 11:49:16 am »
I'm guess that's where the "Original Translation", etc. options come in?
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 02:15:28 pm »
Why 'Other' or 'Misc.' is not a good idea:

No 'other' or 'misc' was provided because the categories should cover all possible cases. It's a general category after-all. The specifics go in the additional field. Let me tell you why this is important. Ultimately, we may have a way to search or list say all translators, all hackers, all script editors, graphic artists etc.  in our community, all in organized lists. This will only work if it remains tightly organized. If you have something that potentially can't be categorized in the existing categories, we can add something appropriate.

Lashiec:

KingMike got it right. You'd use the 'Original XXXX' options to credit inherited work. If multiple groups released something, you could specify which group each person belongs to in the free text field if you'd like, but it wouldn't be required.

If a project was released by and done entirely by one person, I suppose it would not be absolutely necessary to credit, however by crediting it would be clearly indicated that the project was indeed a one person project. I'd probably lean to saying yes, the person should be added to the credits.

Multiple Tasks by Single Person:

I've been thinking about this and reading the comments here. I have a few points to make. First, it is actually typical to see names listed multiple times for different jobs in credits of any media (movies or game credits for example). Second, while feeding my inferiority complex to Moby Games, look at this. Notice Ben Geisler for both programming and production. I think the issue here is because our projects are done by so few people, it just looks wasteful or out of place to list people multiple times.

So, if someone both translated and hacked a game, why NOT have them listed twice? Now, I do think there should be some guidelines. Theoretically, I could list myself for my projects for Hacking, Graphics, minor translations, music, and script editing. However, that would be ridiculous to list myself for 5 or 6 jobs regardless of how it were implemented. A general rule should probably be following Kaioshin's advice and choose the most important category and list minor specifics in the free text. However, if you really did two major jobs and really think you should be listed twice, then perhaps that should be allowed.

Maron/DS:

I don't think we can do what you describe with what we have. You can't append notes to the category, unless I misunderstand. Initially I thought of ditching the categories entirely and just having the free text field. However, by having the category organization, we can potentially do some cool things in the future such as those mentioned in the top of this post.
TransCorp - Over 15 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Lashiec

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 07:22:59 pm »
KingMike got it right. You'd use the 'Original XXXX' options to credit inherited work. If multiple groups released something, you could specify which group each person belongs to in the free text field if you'd like, but it wouldn't be required.

Hm, I guess we can continue to use the multiple 'Author' field to credit all the involved groups. This way you can get all the information without cluttering the text fields for each member unless it's necessary. For those who are really interested in the minutiae, that's what the 'Readme' is for :)

Two more questions :P

What kind of tasks does 'Production' cover? Project coordination or something else?

Is 'Original Work' an umbrella term for anything not covered by 'Original Hacking' and 'Original Translation'?
tl;dr: I'm talking out of my behind and you should not listen to me

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 09:20:39 am »
What kind of tasks does 'Production' cover? Project coordination or something else?
Production covers many things. I asked people that use it frequently in their credits in this post during development. In addition to what Recca and Taskforce mentioned, it might also include things like subtitle timings, characterization work, planning and coordination work, etc. Anything that contributes to the final product.

Is 'Original Work' an umbrella term for anything not covered by 'Original Hacking' and 'Original Translation'?
Yep.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Herakles IV SFC/SNES Translations

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 12:56:17 pm »
I support this new feature, and I'm updating my translations as well with the full credits list, but what happens when the credits lists goes over 10 people? My practical example: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1662/

DUBBING PROJECT: - Translation, adjust and voice insertion: VGF/IlDucci. - Sound mixing: Snack_and_larry

CAST: NEKU SAKURABA: Germani DAISUKENOJO BITO “BEAT”: VGF/IlDucci RAIMU BITO “RHYME”: Gini-Gini SHIKI MISAKI: Kairi03 YOSHIYA “JOSHUA” KIRYU: Daisuke SANAE HANEKOMA: KJ360 SHO MINAMIMOTO: Xombie YODAI HIGASHIZAWA: Salvi_Toriyama KOKI KARIYA: W.C. MITSUKI KONISHI: Haido MEGUMI KITANIJI: Snack_and_larry UZUKI YASHIRO: LMR

ADDITIONAL VOICES: Rey Dedal, Charlie25, JuanmiKun, Gini-Gini, Salvi_Toriyama, Larxenne, Kairi

GAME TRANSLATION: - Project lead, graphics and text revision: VGF/IlDucci - Main tools: Barracuda, CUE, Serede - Hacking assistance: Yann (France), Mentz (Italy) - Extra graphic assitance: Wastor, Siman, Serede, Mewster - Extra text assistance: Auron, xulikotony - SPECIAL THANKS: LoveEmu, Kingcom, and the whole TWEWYTeam.

VERSION 1.0 CREDITS0 (2008): Original concept and project lead: Rigle Tools: macacoloko, Serede Translation: Rigle, macacoloko, meiou, Lamateporunyogur, Serede, VGF/IlDucci, Nisio, highfredo, kot7k, Dahk, Tyranitar 100, Darkneyra Graphic translation: Wastor, Rigle, Serede Website: Serede, Darkneyra

It's a mother load of names, I know, but I'm not leaving noone behind because of some limits.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 11:24:28 am »
You can use the new Option for 'Form Size' at the bottom of the form (Choose 'preview' to reflect the change). :) However, note that things like 'Special Thanks' aren't allowed per guidelines. Only direct credits for actual work should be considered for inclusion.

IlDucci

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 11:54:08 am »
Understood, I'll try that.

DvD

• View Profile
    • DvD Translations
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:44 am »
It's been a while since I added any of my own projects, just mostly contributing to others.
I just noticed this new feature.  I think it is an awesome feature.  :thumbsup: I love clicking on people and seeing what that have done and who they have worked with.

Multiple Tasks by Single Person:

...I think the issue here is because our projects are done by so few people, it just looks wasteful or out of place to list people multiple times.

So, if someone both translated and hacked a game, why NOT have them listed twice? Now, I do think there should be some guidelines. Theoretically, I could list myself for my projects for Hacking, Graphics, minor translations, music, and script editing. However, that would be ridiculous to list myself for 5 or 6 jobs regardless of how it were implemented. A general rule should probably be following Kaioshin's advice and choose the most important category and list minor specifics in the free text. However, if you really did two major jobs and really think you should be listed twice, then perhaps that should be allowed.

Why 'Other' or 'Misc.' is not a good idea:

...Let me tell you why this is important. Ultimately, we may have a way to search or list say all translators, all hackers, all script editors, graphic artists etc.  in our community, all in organized lists. This will only work if it remains tightly organized...

I think the latter statement provides the answer to the question posed above it:  For database searches by task to work, a person who works on multiple tasks in a translation must be listed once for each task they contributed to.  Not entering all the tasks that a person filled throws away information that can't be automatically replaced in the future, whereas clutter can be dealt with automatically.

Clutter is not caused by the data entry, but rather how the data is displayed when a person works on multiple tasks.  To reduce clutter, by default, the system could display only the first task listed for each person.  To display all tasks, a button could be pressed to show all the tasks by all people.  Of course, adding this button or some other way of reducing the clutter automatically would be work for the staff.  But it doesn't have to be done now.

In the mean time, add all the information you can.  It may seem ridiculous to list yourself 5 or 6 times, but as long as the tasks listed are important tasks, it is all important information that can't be replaced at a later date.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 08:57:10 pm by DvD »